“Worth it!”

Hard Rock Hotel Chicago
Ranked #114 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed February 27, 2007

I have to say, I read the reviews over & over again before our trip...and I was a little scared to stay at this hotel. However, I can say we loved the hotel...

Location - wonderful, a short stroll to the best shopping on Michigan Ave. A quick cab ride to just about anywhere.

Staff- could not have been more accomodating, from the bellman to the bartender to the maid to the servers at China Grill.

Rooms - here is the only hitch. We visited in late Feb in the midst of a snowstorm. We are from the south and used to mild weather, and very used to HEAT. But, the rooms were hot as they could be. During our 5 night stay, we had four rooms. Room 1- small and HOT. Thermostat would not go below 74. Told front desk and were quickly relocated (even though they were overbooked) to another room. Room 2 - DO NOT stay in room #17 on any floor. These rooms, although roomy and cool, are sparsly decorated and right beside the ice machine, elevators and maid closet.....and very, very loud. As in, we didn't sleep a wink. Room 3 - moved back to 17th floor.....beautiful view, bigger room, but HOT.....with fan blowing, snow outside and thermostat set on 50 degrees, it remained 71+ in the room. So, I asked what to do....not for a room change and they immediately sent someone up with keys to a new room and even though we got an upgrade with each room change....they put us in a "hard rock room". This room was HUGE, private hallway leading into it, views of michigan ave from multiple windows...including inside the shower!! Double armoires, California King, dual chaise lounge with ottomans, and it was perfect temp. wise. As I said, the staff could not have been better during all of this. We booked the entire trip - 5 nights + airfare on travelocity and we ended up in a room with a rack rate of over half of our trip cost. :)

Food - China grille is magnificent, yet a little pricy if you are not used to it. We ate there twice because we loved it so much. Beware, there are NO vending machines in this hotel. But, there is a walgreens 10 ft from the hotel, a corner bakery a block away, a Bennigans across the street, Giordano's deep dish pizza across the Street.....just about anything.

Bar - good drinks....hard to get a seat at the bar itself, but plenty of seating on couches throughout the lobby area.

All in all, we loved the hotel, the beds, the room and everything. This was my 7th leisure trip to the city in the past 3 years and my most enjoyable stay. Past stays were at the Wyndham downtown, W Lakeshore, Intercontinental and the Hyatt.

Stayed: February 2007
1  Thank tarcijean
Write a ReviewReviews (2,758)

Reviewed February 14, 2007

Stayed at HR Hotel for New Years 2007. Priceline.com accepted my offer 119.00 a night. I was some what suprised after looking on the HR website to see cheapest room listed at 250.00. Read several reviews that said the staff was rude. I didn't experience this at all. The parking was expensive, 39.00 a night. I stayed 3 nights, and for some reason they only charged me for 2. Location was great. Lighting in the actual hotel room was not very good. With all lights turned on, I still felt like I was in the dark.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank QUESTRAVEL
Reviewed February 3, 2007

I would like to tell anyone thinking about staying at this hotel that the beds are great the staff was helpful but the hotel its self was run down there were large gouges in the walls in our room the room we had was very small and everything was soo dark, i am a younger person and thought it would be a hip fun place to stay and i was wrong!!!! There are many other hotels in the area that have great beds great service, great staff and MUCH better rooms the price was over rated too!! I usually do not complain about things but i just want people to know you would probably be better off spending your money on something else!!!!!!

Stayed: February 2007
1  Thank Jayneann1809
Reviewed January 31, 2007

My fiancee and I went for two nights this past March. I don't recall what we paid, being so long ago, but I remember it was at least 30-40 dollars cheaper than other nice hotels in town. Our first night was not so great. The small room was very nice, but happened to be right next to the elevator, and the frequent "ding" coming from it really disturbed our sleep. The next morning the desk was happy to give us a room on a high floor with a great view, away from the elevator, but I decided to push my luck and pressed them to give us a suite. After a few minutes of speaking with the manager, he rolled his eyes, AND GAVE ME THE SUITE! It was amazing - huge with wraparound floor to cieling windows, 50 inch plasma tv, basically the works. So the moral of the story is ask for a room away from the elevator (although it worked out well for me!)

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2007

Ok, I read some of the reviews here after I booked the hotel and frankly, I was worried. I got to Midway and took the orange line to Lake/State stop and walked 2 blocks to N. Michigan and there was the hotel. So far, so good. The woman at the front desk was very nice and apologized that the room was not ready yet (it was 7:30 AM, I wasn't expecting it to be ready) but asked if we would like to stow our bags and call back in an hour. We stowed our bags, went to explore the magnificent mile and came back three hours later and the room was ready. I was now panicked. The reviews said, dark, smelly, dirty and rude. the rude part, so far, was untrue. Got to room. It was dark, smelled fine and was pretty clean. As a base of operations, one could not ask for more. Hard Rock is a block or two from Millenium Park, a block to the Chicago river, a nice hike to the Hancock Building, but would be a nice stroll in warm weather (walking straight up N. Michigan with all its great malls and stores in the summer would have been terrific, unfortunately, I just got back and its January). Sears Tower, also walking distance, Navy Pier, not so far. restauants on state street and ohio, very walkable. Get the point? The hotel elevators are so fast, one could get the impression that they were your own private elevator. The fitness club was fine, empty whenever I was there. The business center allowed me to surf the web 24/7. The bed we had was fantastic. It was firm with a pillowtop. Very comfortable. There was internet access in the room also, I just didn't bring my computer so I used the business center. The one major issue that I had and it's the only one, it was DARK! I guess rock n rollers are creatures of the night, but this is really a bit much. I saw where a lot of the other hotels were, such as the four seasons, ritz carleton etc and a lot of the really fancy ones are further up on N. Michigan (Magnificent Mile), but to access the rest of the City, south of the Chicago River, It would kind of be a hike. Great stay, great location, great place.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank fongghoul
Reviewed January 27, 2007

This is a stylish hotel located right on North Michigan Avenue, a five minute walk from the Orange "Loop" line that will get you to and from Midway Airport. Forget about taking a taxi: the train is a $2 ride and less than 40 minutes away.

Our room (1802) was immaculate and spacious (350 sq ft, we were told). Decorated in grays and white, the room was comfortable and soothing, not jarring. On the other hand, we found the lighting to be very poor and had trouble reading, finding keys, etc. No kidding. The bathroom was also quite dark and it didnt have a heating lamp.

On the positive side, however, there were Aveda products in the bathroom, the windows were huge, so during the day there was tons of natural light, and no issues with darkness. The king size bed was very firm, but had a plush pillow top which made it very comfortable and inviting.

We had a largish TV with a DVD player. There is a safe and munchies. The gym is perfect, equipped with treadmills, ellipticals, bikes and weights. It is open 24/7 and there is video surveillance for safety. There are towels, water, headphones, disposable ear pads, and complimentary green apples. Suggestion: if you are on a floor below the 22nd, take the elevator up to 22nd, then down to L2 to get to the gym. This way you dont have to traverse the lobby.

The front desk staff is amiable, and very attentive. I read some other reviews about nasty personnel, but did not have that experience at all. I got a free newspaper with a smile, a free stamp when I needed it, change and all the coffee I could tolerate in the morning.

The Hard Rock is located less than a 20 minute walk from the Water Tower, the Drury Theater, John Hancock, and magnificent mile. For those who like a thrifty breakfast, we recommend Gourmet Pantry at 155 N. Michigan Avenue [--]. This deli made a delicious egg on a toasted roll with butter on a Sunday morning, no less: $1.99. The hotel has a breakfast buffet for $15.00 per person, but we did not partake of it.

We would stay at the Hard Rock again, and think it is great for people with "tweens." Not sure about the toddler set, though.

Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank gliding_along
Reviewed January 24, 2007

Rooms are so dark we had to insist they bring lamps so we could see. The room we had at almost $400 a night was dingy and small. Don't mistakingly think the Hard Rock Cafe is there, it isn't. They have a Chinese restaurant that is overpriced and limited on items. The room service menu is broken down in terms of times you can order certain foods. When my wife wanted a milk shake we had to call the Manager to have it made since the kitchen staff said it wasn't a choice. The Rolled Roast beef sandwich was listed under the 2 am choice and they refused to make it untill again, we called the Manager who did get it to us. The staff did appear friendly, although housekeeping totally disregarded our 'do not disturb' sign and would call us on the phone. Don't make the mistake of staying here but if you do, walk across the street and buy snacks you want because even a soda is $3 plus 19% gratuity. We ended up having to order delivery food brought to us. This is the most overpriced, over rated and dingy hotel we've ever stayed in. Taxi to airport is $40.

• Stayed: January 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Brookeschiavi