“Phenomenal!”

Hard Rock Hotel Chicago
Ranked #114 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed March 20, 2010

Decided to stay here for my sweeties 40th birthday since we both had not been here before. All I can say is WOW! What great customer service and the hotel itself is amazing. We had a king platinum with two great window views. The views were amazing of Michigan Ave. and we were so close to great restaurants and bars within walking distance. We already both agreed that we were for sure coming back soon!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 19, 2010

My husband and I took our 8 year old daughter for a weekend in Chicago. The Hard Rock was a great place to stay. Perfect location! The staff was very attentive and met our every need. We got their mid-day and wanted a bit to eat before heading out on the town. Base Bar was the perfect place to go. The bartender made a special "cocktail" for our daughter and she really got a kick out of it. Great decor thru out the whole place. Very modern! You can check out different guitars to take to your room. My husband was in heaven! China Grill's breakfast buffet is your typical hotel breakfast buffet. Although, again the wait staff went beyond their "norm" and offered to make pancakes for us, which weren't on the buffet. If you're looking for a hip place to stay, THIS is it!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 1, 2010

The hotel itself was great. Location was good, beds & pillows were very comfy, room service was great(food and service), maid service was great. Hotel was very clean. The only real complaint I would have would be the LACK of lighting....very dull. The most light there is is in the bathroom and even that was not very bright. If I was traveling on business and having to work from my room I would not have been happy.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
HardRockMGR, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2010

Thanks to this guest for leaving an honest review of their Hard Rock Hotel Chicago experience on Tripadvisor.

Many guests comment on the lighting in our guestrooms, which were designed to emulate a “nightclub” feel, with expansive views of the city lights to complement the dimly-lit interiors. We understand that many guests, especially those trying to work in the rooms, need more lighting to make the room functional for them. In our upcoming room renovation (scheduled for 2010) we will be addressing the lighting design – for the time being we can eagerly rush up additional lamps should our guests wish a brighter room.

John Price

Reviewed March 1, 2010

Nice hotel, located in good spot, clean, comfortable, everyone was very helpful and polite. Had a upgraded King Suite, little light, little small, no door on shower (it is the style) not a fan. I would recommend staying...Nice bar inside with staff.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2010

I stayed for 6 nights at the Hard Rock Hotel in Chicago and I enjoyed it.

The room was spacious and I was lucky enough to have a nice view of the river. The bed was really nice, I have some back problems and I was expecting to wake up feeling some pain but it never happened. The flat screen TV was also a nice plus. The bathroom was also large, the pressure of the shower was a bit capricious but I attributed to the early morning rush.

The main minor drawback was the lack of light in the room. I had already read about it on tripadvisor but I thought that people were being peaky but honestly, they were right. If I were to be staying there for a weekend, it would have been fine but since I was there on business for a week, it meant that when I went back to the hotel, I would fall asleep. That is how dark it was. In the morning, I had to move the suitcase in the bathroom in order to find my clothes. My friend, to whom I described it to, said that maybe it was only for rockstars that do not not need light! ;-) OK, jokes aside, it was hard to spend time in the room at night, unless I was lying in bed watching TV.

The second minor complaint on my part was the maid service was inconsistent. The first day I had taken out a bag with a pillow and the throw from the closet because it was cold and the next day, it was still on the floor and the throw was not folded, I found it a bit weird. The bathroom floor was not always very clean but the service improved over the week so maybe it was a one-time thing, I did not even bother to complain.

My check-in and check-out was very easy and hassle-free, I have no more comments on the service, since I did not eat or use room service.

Overall, I would say that the hotel is ideal for a weekend trip in the city, the location is amazing, close to shopping and restaurants. I guess it would also work for business travelers, just add some more floor lamps in the rooms.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business

We appreciate the honest feedback we receive from guests who leave a review on Tripadvisor. It truly allows us to prioritize what our guests want and need for our upcoming renovations in 2010, and more lighting is definitely on the list.

Our guestrooms were designed to convey a feeling of “city nightlife” with muted overhead lighting and small reading lights. Many of our guests love the ambience and appreciate the way the interiors of the rooms complement the city lights outside, but we realize that for many guests – namely those trying to work in their rooms or prepare themselves for a night on the town – this design can create some frustrations.

Therefore we suggest that any guest wishing a brighter room get in touch with the front desk so we can eagerly rush up additional lighting for them, which we have purchases specifically in response to these concerns.

John Price

Reviewed February 28, 2010

WOW! This hotel was amazing. If you live/love music, this is where you should stay! The rooms are stylish but very comfortable. You can't beat being on Michigan Avenue. You can walk to everything! We were there for the Obama Rally on Nov. 4th and to see a show. I would stay here every night if I could!

Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2010

Stayed here for V Day weekend. Avg nightly price was $107/nite. Staff was professional, I asked for a view room on check in and was accomodated. The concierge was great and helped us out with everything.

Ate at China Grill in the hotel - awesome cuisine. Its pricey but you do get a 20% discount if staying in the hotel

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple