“Nice hotel but too many problems”

Hard Rock Hotel Chicago
Ranked #106 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Buena Park, California
“Nice hotel but too many problems”
Reviewed January 16, 2006

I will say that the Hard Rock Hotel is in a good location and that the rooms are very modern but that's all the good I can say about it. The service we received was horrible. We arrived at about 2:30 am on Friday morning. Our reservations were not for later that day. The lady at the front desk would not let us check in early nor would she prorate the rate. I've stayed at the Marriott in NY and they were more than glad to accommodate us. We had one room that we got thru priceline at a discounted price and the other room at the regular rate. She said she would honor the priceline rate for the additional night. When we got the invoice (a day earlier than we were suppose to), we were charged the regular rate. When we went to resolve the issue w/ the front desk, they said that they couldnt honor that rate although thats what we were told but that they would give us complementary champagne for the miscommunication. We were charged for the champagne and had to complain once again to get it removed. It was just a lot of hassle. The staff does not communicate with one other and if they had we would not have had all these problems. I will not be staying at the Hard Rock again. There are other hotels in the area that are just as nice and offer better service.

• Stayed January 2006
8 Thank lonster47

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Polish first
Chicago, IL
Reviewed January 8, 2006

My boyfriend and I are Chicagoans who just wanted a romantic night in the city. We chose the Hard Rock due to a great deal. The location is wonderful: convenient to public transportation, close to the lake and river (water views in several rooms), convenient for shopping and nightlife (downstairs bar is very chic) and easy to walk around the city. The rooms are accomodating and the beds provide a great night's sleep! Be warned that the mini bar is sensored and anything that moves in it will automatically be billed to your account. We chilled our own wine in the sink with ice.

• Stayed January 2006
4 Thank bucktown
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed December 15, 2005

I booked a room at the Hard Rock because of it's location (husband and friend were running the marathon) and I found a good deal on their website (it was called the "uncensored package" which included breakfast every morn. and a "mysterious brown box"...whatever that meant!). I was a little reluctant to book here, but figured I'd be prepared because of all the mixed reviews I had read on trip advisor. So, because we reserved so early (we knew rooms would be limited in the area because of the run) I called every two months to make sure we had our reservation. Each time I called, a pleasant person answered and confirmed registration and package. I even got them to assign a hotel room in advance (Rm 1806)and give me an earlier check-in time and I confirmed it over and over. We came into Chicago, took the "L" and checked in with the front desk--no problem, but no one knew what the "uncensored package" was. It's not like we really cared, we just wanted the breakfast! They said they would call up and let us know. Never called. I went downstairs and talked to them again--the people there said there was no such thing as the "uncensored package" and they would call up to let me know what they found out. Never called. At that point, I didn't really care to keep calling, because we had stuff to do with the marathon and quite frankly, that's not MY job.

We had a small, clean room. Good view of N. Michigan street. Large bathroom with a tub/shower, Aveda bathroom supplies and plenty of fluffy bathrobes and towels. Beds were really great and it was generally quiet up there (those were the key things the runners needed!). The bar downstairs was a good place to end up after a night, even though the bartenders act too hip for you. The doormen were the best! What crackups! The internet access in the business center was free. It was always open and there was no one around--it just cost money to print off their computers. The room service people would forget toilet paper, of all things, and I would have to call and ask for it. Concierge service was a joke--they tried to set things up for us (boat arch. tour) and didn't do it right and offered no options (we called and booked on our own). Fridge in room wouldn't dispense things--called to get it fixed. It was fixed electronically and I ate a few things out of it and they didn't charge us on our bill.

On the last day, we got the bill and, lo and behold, it listed the "Uncensored Package" with my room rate! I was so mad and called the front desk and wanted to know why they (essentially) lied and didn't follow up with me about this. No explanations--I finally said "Well, at least I want breakfast ONE of these days!" They said no problem--I called room service and had a GREAT meal delivered up. Room service tried to give me the bill, but I told them that the front desk was taking care of it. I should have just done that every morning, now that I think about it.

So, all in all, the hotel really doesn't live up to the hype and it's way over-priced for pretty crappy service and small rooms. The little things are nice (products, bed, view-if you're lucky), but it just doesn't seem to cover the lazy, inexperienced and ridiculously pretentious service that comes with this hotel. I just don't know how this place has managed to get away with this for so long--I've never seen a hotel where the reviews are so mixed and vary wildly one way or another. Hotel services should be consistent, not based on whether someone is having a bad day or they're new. I just don't get this place.

• Stayed October 2005
7 Thank RkyMtnHi
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 21, 2005

Yes, the beds are great. Plus, the room (on 22nd floor) was silent throughout the night. Room service prices reasonable. Service very good. The negatives: tiny amount of drawer and closet space. Only one small drawer per person, a very small shared closet. Not enough hangers. No bathtub in room, only shower (I like options). Only one bathrobe provided. Lighting was dim throughout, including bathroom, though it was flattering, if that helps. The reading lights by bed were adequate, though -- a big plus since so many hotels fail in that regard. The walls in the bathroom were dirty looking and the bathroom countertop was trashed -- it looked dirty, but was just badly stained. Poor choice of cheap countertop material. But adequate space for amenities. Overall, a perfectly fine place, just not exceptional. But the good night's sleep made the negatives less odious.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2005

I had high hopes for this hotel, but it doesn't quite live up to it.

The start wasn't great. Upon entering my room I found the the previous guest hadn't left yet!! A bad error and a major security risk.

Anyway, I was quickly provided with another room. The room was a little on the small side, but comfortable with a great bed. However it really lacked any real magic apart from a few music related pictures.

The Hard Rock theme is continued throughout the hotel, but it seems half hearted (there was nothing on my floor - 21st).

They lobby is cool and they did arrange a Madonna 'listening party' but overall it lacks a certain edge to make it stand out from the crowd.

That said, it's a perfectly acceptable hotel, with good service and great beds.

2 Thank Richard H
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Reviewed November 12, 2005

We went to Chicago for our 21st anniversary and had a wonderful stay at the Hard Rock Hotel. The beds are excellent! The room was clean and very well maintained throughout our stay. The atmosphere is very contemporary, which was the opposite of what we normally experience, but it was fun to try something new. The one drawback was the lobby turned lounge in the evenings. It is a hang out spot for yuppies and lots of partying and making out is going on. We avoided this by using the side entrance on Michigan Avenue when entering and exiting the hotel in the evenings. The staff was helpful and courteous.
Located on the Magnificent Mile with access to some of Chicago's wonderful sights, we'd definitely stay there again.

3 Thank NecieMcK
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed October 22, 2005

We stayed at the Hard Rock 10/14/05 to 10/17/05. Admittedly, we'd rather be on the other side of the river but due to the limited hotel rooms available when we made our reservations, we decided to try the Hard Rock.

Our 8:30 PM check in went smoothly, although it is a bit odd to have to navigate the patrons in the dark lobby turned lounge for the evening hours. Our room was on the 18th floor with a decent view down South Michigan Ave.

Typical of a revamped metropolitan building, the rooms are a bit smaller than the typical hotel room but certainly not cramped or uncomfortable. The decor is a stark, cold, modern kind of look, which is aesthetically pleasing to tastes such as mine but really didn't end up being very practical.

The bathroom fixtures are all made of chrome open rung type surfaces which ended up being a nuisance as everything from the soap in the soap dish to the towels under the sink continually fell through the bars.

The desk & chair are likewise very contemporary and great looking but not very ergonomically designed or geared for real use. My husband owns his own business and must stay in touch/do some work while traveling and found the setup very uncomfortable after a 1/2 hour or so. The internet service was awful at first but, after a call to the service company, they did get it straightened out by our second day.

The bed was quite comfortable and the linens on the bed & in the bathroom were some of the nicest we've had. Housekeeping was good although they failed to replenish hygiene items during our stay.

The sound buffering in the hotel is abysmal. Although old buildings are unavoidably noisy due to their construction, it's even worse in this building due to the complete lack of buffering. You can actually see daylight for a 1/2 inch around the top & sides of the room's door and there is almost two inches of space below. This serves as a megaphone for the already echoing sounds of every person stomping down the hall and every door slamming (some guests such as us seemed to catch on to this & were exceptionally careful about generating noise but others were oblivious which created disturbances day and night).

Having a late afternoon flight, we requested a late checkout which was cheerfully granted. The automatic checkout wasn't working on the day of our departure but a quick phone call to the desk was all that was required.

Overall, this is a nice hotel but we probably wouldn't be back unless there were no other options. It's the opposite side of the river from most everything we like to do while in Chicago and the noise levels made for a less than restful weekend. However, if you are a deep sleeper, prefer staying in the Loop, and like a funky, contemporary environment, I would recommend the Hard Rock.

• Stayed October 2005