“Quite, good location, overpriced for drab small room”

Hard Rock Hotel Chicago
Ranked #108 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
“Quite, good location, overpriced for drab small room”
Reviewed September 14, 2009

The room we stayed in was on the "Kiss" floor, one of the upper floors. The hotel is very quite although you can hear motor cycles from Michigan Ave. The carpet in the halls had little patches in them and are very worn. The elevators and are subtley marked as to the floors they service. A guest not familar with the system was confused and I had to tell hem that certain elevators service limited floors. The rooms are small and overpriced for what you get. The desk in our room had scratches worn through the wood as if a cat had scratched it for hours. The room is a bit drab and nothing to write home about. For the money, there are many more hotels in Chicago that have better rooms and experiences. One positive, the Art Deco Union Carbide building was saved from the wrecking ball, but a better hotel chain should have taken over and the experience would have been worth the money.

One highlight was the China Grill, which is associated with the Hard Rock, was very good. An understanding of the menu is needed. The entres are ment to be shared. The proportions are appropriate and very tastey. It's a bit pricey, but attainable and the food is different with good service.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beewacker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Polish first
Marko113
Reviewed September 10, 2009

My girlfriend and I went on a short trip to Chicago and stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel. They offered a great deal on their website and couldn't pass it up. The location is right in the heart of city and a ton of tourist spots surround the hotel (i.e. Navy Pier, Millenium Park, etc.).
Upon arrival the staff was very welcoming and helpful. Our room was great! View was nice and the room was very clean and had a modern feel to it. House keeping did a great job on cleaning the room the next day and even straightened up my mess of bags and clothes. haha. Great job! My girlfriend and I will definitely come back to Hard Rock Hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
irealnd
Reviewed September 2, 2009

Hi i stayed at the hard rock chicago from the 7th of august until the 11th during lollapalooza music festival!!!! i must say i found everything to be of the highest standards the room was the "HARD ROCK KING" a beautiful spacious room at the front corner of the building with a stunning view down michigan avenue! it was exactly how i saw it on the website! as for the house keeping it was superb as all can imagine a 3 day music festival in 98f heat is very fatiguing not much effort left to clean the room but house keeping had it brand new each of the 5 nights we stayed! i could go on and on but overall a five star hotel at 4 star prices......... John (Ireland)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
hartford, ct
Reviewed August 26, 2009

I stayed here August 20 through 23rd with my sixteen year old son and we thoroughly enjoyed this hotel. The price was very reasonable for a hotel located right on Michigan Avenue. The front desk and concierge service was excellent and enhanced our stay by making it easy for us to plan fun activities. The John Entwistle theme on our floor was a nice touch. Any of you single fathers out there can appreciate how difficult it can be to take a fun affordable vacation with your children and The Hard Rock Hotel in Chicago really helped me accomplish just that!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
east coast
Reviewed August 21, 2009

Pretty hotel with good service at front desk and only fair in the restaurant. The people in the meetings department were very good. The banquet we had was very nice. Overall it was a good hotel for the money. Liked the free internet in the lobby - have not seen that before. It was a good location in the center of downtown. I would return on a future visit.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Chicago, IL
Reviewed August 17, 2009

Trendy hotel, modern design...the room I stayed in was large, I couldn't tell if I had been upgraded because it was one open space, with a long hall dividing the front door and bathroom (with a shower that could fit 4 people). I just didn't understand the planning of the room (weird layout) and the hotel itself wasn't as plush as I thought it COULD be...like the Palms in Las Vegas or Loew's Hotels

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
HardRockMGR, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, August 25, 2009
We would like to thank this guest for providing an honest opinion regarding their stay with us at the Hard Rock Hotel Chicago.

It sounds like this guest stayed in an upgraded Hard Rock Room, which measures approximately 500 square feet. We were surprised that the guest didn’t like the layout of these rooms, as they are the most requested rooms in the hotel. They are very spacious and often provide great views of the city from both the bedroom windows and the bathrooms, which are enormous. The long hallways were dictated by the layout of our historical building, which was erected in 1929 by the sons of famous Chicago architect Daniel Burnham.

We are excited that next year we will begin the process of renovating our rooms, and are hopeful that the new design will accommodate the “plush” tastes of even our most discriminating guests. As is, we do want to point out that our AAA four-diamond rating was renewed by AAA’s inspectors just recently with the rooms as they are in their current state. We hope this response will put into perspective the comments in the review above.

John Price
Lansing, MI
Reviewed August 15, 2009

Simply said, location is great! I've stayed in better hotels, however. I arrived in Chicago via Amtrak (early!) around 8:30am. I took the water taxi to Michigan Ave. which was free that time, $3 back. The hotel is only two blocks from the dock. My intentions at 9:30 were to drop my bags off, but there was a room available, and having started my trip at 4 in Nashville, all I could say was, nice. I caught a great room rate of $144 on Expedia, day of check-in I overheard rates starting at $249. I definitely wouldn't have payed that. Here's what I didn't like about the room; one big selling point for me, traveling alone, was their DVD players, nope, none of the rooms have those, the pay-per-view movies are 11.99 for new-release and 13.99 for still in theaters(dumb). The fridge is filled w/ stuff no-one ever buys unless they Really need it because there's a Walgreen's right next door, and their waters aren't $8. So you can't fit anything You buy in there (fridge) and you can't take it out because the items are on a weight sensor and they'll charge you. No ice buckets in rooms (I wasn't only one). Elevators usually took 1-10min. Once almost 15!! Soap smells like Tylenol Cold. Room is lit by 3 piano style lights, that's it. Millennium park is 2 blocks away. I went to a Thursday Night Jazz Concert, that was cool! Mag Mile's down the road. Overall those problems aren't necessities and the location's great so I'll give it a 3, but that's also paying $144, if I payed $249, 1star, fer sure. There's too much they're slacking on. They need to get it together or just keep the rates low. Sure Hard Rock can afford it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
We appreciate this guest providing honest feedback for us so we can address any concerns they have regarding their visit to our hotel.

Since removing our old technology (combination DVD and CD player systems), we continue to offer DVD players in the guestrooms by request. They are no longer installed in the guestrooms, but we will happily rush one up should one of our guests wish to enjoy a movie they brought or rented. Average prices for movie theatre tickets in downtown Chicago are around $10, which means that should you elect to watch a newer movie in the privacy of your room, you would only be paying $4 more than if you went to a local theatre. Not a bad deal, actually!

In September the Hard Rock Hotel Chicago will be installing soundbars in all the guestrooms, which attach to the television and provide a superior listening experience similar to surround-sound. We will be adding more music channels as well to provide the ultimate in Hard Rock experiences.

Our hotel has just launched a program called “Check In, Rock Out” in conjunction with Gibson Guitars. Guests who wish to provide their own entertainment may rent out a Gibson guitar down at the desk and bring it up to their rooms to play (with a set of headphones, of course, so they do not disturb other guests). Currently the program is free of charge.

Our minibars do operate on motion sensors, which we try to inform guests about at check in. We don’t use this technology to trick anyone, it is technology that makes our in-room operation more efficient, and allows us to better use our staff to keep our costs low, and consequently, our room rates reasonable. We ask that if a guest moves items in the fridge they take a close look at their bill at checkout to make sure they aren’t being charged for an item that was moved, but not consumed. We gladly bring up additional fridges to the guestrooms upon guest request for our guests that wish to store leftovers, medications, etc. in their rooms.

We hope that this response will help anyone considering a stay at our hotel to make an informed decision if we offer the services and amenities that they value in their hotel stay.

John Price