“You're Paying For Location and Name.”

Hard Rock Hotel Chicago
Ranked #106 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Lansing, MI
“You're Paying For Location and Name.”
Reviewed August 15, 2009

Simply said, location is great! I've stayed in better hotels, however. I arrived in Chicago via Amtrak (early!) around 8:30am. I took the water taxi to Michigan Ave. which was free that time, $3 back. The hotel is only two blocks from the dock. My intentions at 9:30 were to drop my bags off, but there was a room available, and having started my trip at 4 in Nashville, all I could say was, nice. I caught a great room rate of $144 on Expedia, day of check-in I overheard rates starting at $249. I definitely wouldn't have payed that. Here's what I didn't like about the room; one big selling point for me, traveling alone, was their DVD players, nope, none of the rooms have those, the pay-per-view movies are 11.99 for new-release and 13.99 for still in theaters(dumb). The fridge is filled w/ stuff no-one ever buys unless they Really need it because there's a Walgreen's right next door, and their waters aren't $8. So you can't fit anything You buy in there (fridge) and you can't take it out because the items are on a weight sensor and they'll charge you. No ice buckets in rooms (I wasn't only one). Elevators usually took 1-10min. Once almost 15!! Soap smells like Tylenol Cold. Room is lit by 3 piano style lights, that's it. Millennium park is 2 blocks away. I went to a Thursday Night Jazz Concert, that was cool! Mag Mile's down the road. Overall those problems aren't necessities and the location's great so I'll give it a 3, but that's also paying $144, if I payed $249, 1star, fer sure. There's too much they're slacking on. They need to get it together or just keep the rates low. Sure Hard Rock can afford it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
HardRockMGR, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, August 25, 2009
We appreciate this guest providing honest feedback for us so we can address any concerns they have regarding their visit to our hotel.

Since removing our old technology (combination DVD and CD player systems), we continue to offer DVD players in the guestrooms by request. They are no longer installed in the guestrooms, but we will happily rush one up should one of our guests wish to enjoy a movie they brought or rented. Average prices for movie theatre tickets in downtown Chicago are around $10, which means that should you elect to watch a newer movie in the privacy of your room, you would only be paying $4 more than if you went to a local theatre. Not a bad deal, actually!

In September the Hard Rock Hotel Chicago will be installing soundbars in all the guestrooms, which attach to the television and provide a superior listening experience similar to surround-sound. We will be adding more music channels as well to provide the ultimate in Hard Rock experiences.

Our hotel has just launched a program called “Check In, Rock Out” in conjunction with Gibson Guitars. Guests who wish to provide their own entertainment may rent out a Gibson guitar down at the desk and bring it up to their rooms to play (with a set of headphones, of course, so they do not disturb other guests). Currently the program is free of charge.

Our minibars do operate on motion sensors, which we try to inform guests about at check in. We don’t use this technology to trick anyone, it is technology that makes our in-room operation more efficient, and allows us to better use our staff to keep our costs low, and consequently, our room rates reasonable. We ask that if a guest moves items in the fridge they take a close look at their bill at checkout to make sure they aren’t being charged for an item that was moved, but not consumed. We gladly bring up additional fridges to the guestrooms upon guest request for our guests that wish to store leftovers, medications, etc. in their rooms.

We hope that this response will help anyone considering a stay at our hotel to make an informed decision if we offer the services and amenities that they value in their hotel stay.

John Price

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Polish first
Birmingham, MI
Reviewed August 13, 2009

If the question is "Do you get rock star treatment at the Hard Rock Hotel?" the answer is an absolute yes.

Upon checking in, I was asked if I'd like a Gibson Guitar to play during my stay...I then got to choose from a wide variety of all styles of Gibsons, settling on one I've always dreamed of owning (ES-335) and had it delivered to my room free of charge to play during my stay. It arrived with a small effects amp and a pair of headphones.

In addition to the coolest perk of any hotel that I've stayed with, the service was excellent at the front desk, the bar, the gift shop and throughout my stay.

The Hard Rock more than lived up to its name.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
Reviewed August 12, 2009

So I am writing this from the hotel - 1st time for this...have used Trip Advisor many times and truely believe in the reviews (unfortunately for us we didn't look at the reviews for this one!). Can say I have never had the urge to write a review from the hotel itself before so much and say AVOID! It is a great location but that is it!

There are many other hotels in the area that also offer a great location and a better room/service for less than you will pay here. We have been in Chicago many times and have stayed at other locations in the downtown core...we were swayed by the pics and also by the "Hard Rock" name - our fault but please do not beleive the pics on their website - they have been taken long before the current condition of this hotel.

In our room we counted at least 45+ cigarettes burns in the carpet and at least a few in the furinture, numerous drink stainds on all surfaces...so like a wild party happened last night and they cleaned up the bottles and broken glass but that is all! The hotel service of your room is sketchy at best. You would do well to select another hotel in the area that will offer the same great location with much better service/quality at the same price or probably less!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cdninasia
The Hard Rock Hotel Chicago would like to thank this guest for sharing their experience in our hotel so we can address their concerns for future visitors.

We extend our sincere apologies to this guest for having been assigned a room that should have been put out of service (presumably after some wild parties over Lollapalooza weekend). We most certainly would have offered to switch them to a more suitable accommodation had they come to us while on property with their concerns. We believe this room was placed “out of service” originally, but due to a computer error was erroneously put back in service for the front desk to assign.

We are excited to announce that full room renovations for our hotel are scheduled for 2010, and we have completed two sample rooms showcasing the new features. Additionally, we now feature 40-inch flat-screen HD televisions and iPod docking stations in all of our guestrooms as of July of 2009.

John Price
Seattle
Reviewed August 12, 2009

The location is outstanding, and my room was roomy with very nice bedding and kind of sleek, sexy look about it. But I also had a dusty bathroom and several knicks in the walls that could have easily been fixed. When I checked in the staff had a weird sort of snottiness about them that bugged me, but check-out was great, and the kitchen staff seemed very responsive. Oddly, the matzo ball soup has no matzo balls in it. Still tasty though. The free wi-fi and free printing is great for business travellers, but there are other hotels in the area that are nicer for the same money.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Cape Town
Reviewed August 12, 2009

Great location, cannot fault it. Love the reception area, looks very smart. We were upgraded to a much nicer suite on arrival but it was noisy and too near the elevator which was a pity as it was really a swanky suite.

We politely asked to be moved immediately but I was not impressed with the customer service at the front desk. His response to our request was awful and he certainly needs training in customer service. Our room was changed the following day and we accepted the 3rd choice which was on a much lower floor but it was quiet. (Stay away from floors 26 - 28 tower part of the hotel due to the elevator noise) further dealings with the front desk staff the following day was not satisfactory either i.e. their attitude.

The concierge on the other hand was great and very helpful.

The rooms were good, smart & amenities were excellent. I loved the Aveda products in the bathrooms. There was some wear and tear in the rooms and some areas need to be refurbished, which may be happening as we had a brand new 42inch plasma delivered to our room.

I used the gym and it was very good. Overall I would say we had a pleasant experience and recommend it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Gainesville, FL
Reviewed August 11, 2009

Maybe my room was newly renovated, because it doesn't match the description of many of the reviews here. The room was bright, big, modern, and well decorated. I did pay an extra $20 for a "select" room. Maybe that's the difference. The corner room had four big windows which opened slightly and a great view of the river. A plasma TV sat on a very modern console. The bed and pillows were so comfortable, my wife wanted to buy one of the pillows. You can easily walk to the Chicago Art Institute, the "bean", and many other points of interest. WHen we asked the concierge for a recommendation for a nice place for a casual lunch and beer, he gave us a coupon for a free appetizer at the Emerald Loop Irish Pub, just blocks away. The food was so good, we ate there again the next day!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed July 27, 2009

You couldn't ask for more in a location for a hotel. We were able to get the rate of 189 so for the price and the half priced parking, it was a steal. I am not sure I would've paid any more than that for the hotel. We mainly paid for the location. It is walking distance from "the bean" and from all the shopping on Mag Mile and Water tower. If you needed a walgreens or cvs, there was one on every corner. The room itself is definitely older. I was expecting at least the tv to be updated. Room service is extremely over priced. We paid 70 dollars for two breakfasts, and a pot of coffee...if it wasn't supposed to be a romantic get a way I would've suggested to go to a coffee shop down the street. Check in was very easy along with valet parking. The staff was very helpful.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple