“Great value and great electronics”

Hard Rock Hotel Chicago
Ranked #109 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Dallas
“Great value and great electronics”
Reviewed March 16, 2005

Okay, so the rooms are very modern. What was important to me was that the mattress is outstanding and so is the TV and stereo system. This is the place for audiophiles! It is probably a little too sleek and trendy for some -- it is the "Hard Rock" afterall. Service is outstanding. Room service would bring me anything reasonable that I wanted cooked. They have a steak salad that is delicious. I've stayed in a number of different rooms and one week that I stayed here, I ended up being stuck in the room sick -- the hotel staff brought me stuff from the drug store and called to check how I was doing. How can anyone say that it isn't a warm place? It's the people who make a place warm and welcoming.

Moreover, I travel to Chicago a lot and this is one of the best hotels around for comfort, service and value. The rooms may not be to some people's taste in terms of decor, but it isn't suppose to be your home -- only a place to sleep at night. I like the fans in the rooms because they can be used to drown out outside noise or you can turn them off, if you find them annoying. I think this is a wonderful hotel and if you don't like the grey, order some nice colorful flowers to compensate!

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business
5 Thank watchful1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Polish first
NY
Reviewed March 16, 2005

My then fiance and I stayed at the Hard Rock a few days before we took off to our wedding location. We had spent the day at Six Flags in Gurnee and arrived frazzled and exhausted. The snotty staff checked us in and we were up to our room. I stuck the key in the door and it opened, but was bolted with the chain lock - there was someone in the room! We went back to the front desk and got another key. The room was nice and very comfortable, but very very small. So small that it is hard to close the bathroom door without standing in the bathtub! Mini bar prices were rediculous as were the room service charges. Parking was rediculous - 35 a day and you cannot access it without a valet. The second day we returned to find that our room key didnt work anymore - again, went to the desk and got a new key. All in all, it looks like a lovely hotel, wonderfuly comfortable beds and nicely decorated - just a bit overpriced, full of yuppies, and has a terrible staff.

8 Thank CKNY
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed March 5, 2005

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at! They had horrible service from the time we got there to the time we left. We stayed New Year's Eve and New Year's Day and were robbed by the valet service before we left!! The shower sounded like the pipes were going to explode and had no hot water. We asked about leaving my truck in valet until after we got back from the Bears game on Jan. 2nd and the girl at the front desk told us they would even get my truck so that we could put our luggage in it after we checked out and put it in a secure lot until we got back. When we got back, they pulled the truck up with a hole in the passenger window and several thousand dollars worth of items missing! Then they told me that someone was TOO LAZY to put the truck in a secure lot!!! They knew the items were in the truck because they helped load it!!! After that, the hotel staff proceeded to tell us everything would be taken care of......! They waited till we left and when I called them to get things straigtened out, they blamed the Valet service and said they could not do anything about it! Not only that, the valet service refused to pay us for any of our items! DO NOT STAY HERE!! DO NOT USE THE VALET SERVICE!!

• Stayed January 2005
8 Thank tazdevil69
Reviewed February 23, 2005

The room was really bad. The Bathroom had wallpaper with guys on it. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't want to have a picture of a guy in the same room when I'm using the bathroom.

The air vent made noise all night long. Room service took forever!!!! It was 35 bucks a day just to have the car in a parking garage that you can't go in if you forgot something in it.

Above the bed and in the bathroom there was what my girlfriend thought where sprinklers. I understand sprinklers in the main room but Not in the Bathroom!!!!

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed February 20, 2005

You could not pay me to stay at this hotel again. The Hard Rock Hotel is not very warm or welcoming. After staying here I have come to hate the color Gray!!

11 Thank Montell
Reviewed February 18, 2005

I cancelled my reservation because each time I got someone on the phone with additional questions I struggled to communicate with them. I was an obvious interruption and they were doing everything they could to get me off the phone. "how can I rock your world today" became an IRRITATING cliche with nothing behind it but borderline rudeness. Go to the Comfort Inn on Ohio for 1/2 the price - excellent. When you stay in Chicago you are looking for a safe pleasant place to sleep. The rest of the time you will be anywhere but your motel room.

• Stayed February 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 23, 2005

I would definately not recommend this hotel. We came down for a special occasion and so they told us they upgraded our room. It was still incredible small! I could not tell what made it an upgrade. (They told me I had two windows instead of one and 100 more sq. ft.). I feel bad for people who pay good money for a standard room. All night long there was a pounding noise and when I went to the front desk to tell them we did not get any sleep and where not happy with our stay, all they did was tell us to fill out a survey. They could care less if you are happy with your stay. The maid came to our door at 9am and wanted to know when we were checking out. How rude! The bar is not at all happening like you would expect from a Rock and Roll Hotel. The only plus are the beds. They are very comfortable. We usually stay at the House of Blues and thought we would try some place different. What a mistake. The House of Blues blows this place away in every way!

• Stayed January 2005