“A lot of pomp and circumstance for...eh?”

Hard Rock Hotel Chicago
Ranked #106 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“A lot of pomp and circumstance for...eh?”
Reviewed March 5, 2009

It was a nice hotel...don't get me wrong. But it wasn't the wildly lush place that ads and things would make you believe. My husband and I are really into classic rock, so as an added surprise for my birthday, he got us a room at the Hard Rock. The lobby and the bar were very chic, and the restaurant was really nice-excellent brunch, with a very quiet, placid feeling, which I could easily see kicking into a cool place to see and be seen at night...but the rooms themselves were....just average hotel rooms, really. Our room was decorated in a glam rock sort of feel with metallics and purples, and it was well-done. But I just feel that for the money you spend to stay here, you'd get a room that set the bar a little higher. I am glad we stayed here, and we both agreed that it was very cool to take the elevator up to all the floors to look at the memorabilia located in each elevator lobby, but next time we're willing to drop that kind of money, we won't be doing it here.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CorduroyArtist

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2009

Awesome hotel, our room overlooked Michigan Ave and we could see the river. Very stylish, trendy room and hotel. Lacked a bit in amenities (pool, etc) but more than made up for it with the location and quality of the hotel. Booked it thought Hotwire for $99 which was awesome value.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Canton, Michigan
Reviewed January 30, 2009

We stayed at the Hard Rock on January 27th, 2009 for $125/night. It is located on Michigan Ave, just two blocks from the Mag Mile, two blocks from Millenium Park, and five blocks from the Chicago Art Institute. Our hotel room was very nice with views of Michigan Ave and a unusually comfy bed. The hotel even offered free coffee in the lobby every morning and free wifi in the rooms. Parking was $45 for valet and $30 for self parking. The staff was very helpful with all of our request.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed January 29, 2009

I clearly had a different experience than some of the previous reviewers. Everything about my 3-day stay was fantastic beginning with the rate, the check-in process (4 hours early but they got me a room anyway), the complimentary room upgrade, the FREE WiFi, the large and comfortable bed, the shower pressure, and most of all the service. Every single employee I encountered greeted me warmly and consistently asked if there was anything he/she could do to make my stay better. As for convenience, the hotel is in a great location on Michigan Ave. My only complaint would be the lack of restaurant choices - China Grill was too high end for me but some may enjoy it. I used to stay at the W on Lakeshore but from now on I'm booking all my Chicago trips at the Hard Rock.

• Liked — Incredible service from every single staff member
  • Disliked — Lack of restaurant choices
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed January 25, 2009

We stayed here a second time and found the room we booked (on a special offer from the hotel as a return customer) disappointing. The decor seemed dated,no flat screen TV, room seemed smaller, not as clean. I could not even reach the toilet paper dispenser in the bathroom. We were on the only floor without a rock star picture or personal item showcase display. One elevator did not work. Bar menu is good and reasonable, but drinks and coffee very pricey, considering we have gotten continental breakfast, appetizers and premium drinks for free at another hotel. Location is good for the museums and parks, but hotel needs to be refurbished for the prices it normally charges.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Small room
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Designgal
HardRockMGR, eCommerce Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, February 9, 2009
We are very sorry to hear that this guest had a disappointing second visit to our hotel. We can assure that all of our rooms are held to extremely high cleaning standards, as our four-star rating dictates. The Hard Rock Hotel is housed in a beautiful historic building, and to celebrate that history we have preserved one floor as our hotel's "historic floor." This guest presumably had a room on this particular floor, which appeals to many visitors for its enhanced character and historic charm. We regret any potential inconveniences with our elevators, while there are five elevators to service the building, we do occasionally take an elevator off-line for operational touch-ups and maintenance. We offer complimentary coffee in our lobby from 5 a.m. to 8 a.m. Our lobby bar, Base Bar, offers a variety of fine wines, beers, and liquors that include many budget-friendly options; Base Bar is also proud to provide an increasing variety of sustainable, organic products. We hope this information will provide potential guests with the perspective they need to make an educated decision regarding our hotel.

John Price
iowa
Reviewed January 19, 2009

I stayed here for 3 nights. My stay was booked through my company as we have a discounted rate and I was here on business. Based on reading other reviews here, I must have gotten the most basic type of room. It was pretty small, exceedingly dark (dim lighting) and a very minimal view. It was on the 14th floor, and I mostly looked out at other buildings, although I could see a sliver of Millenium park and "the bean" between two buildings. I had only one window.

The decor is minimalist, modern, masculine. Everything gray and taupe. Comfortable bed and desk chair. It was kind of depressing to spend too much time in the room because of the darkness. When I first got to the room, I turned on every light and it was still quite dim. I called the front desk to see if all the rooms were this dark and they told me that was they style at this hotel. They did volunteer to bring up a lamp which helped somewhat.

I was also kind of warm in the room and it seemed as though the thermostat was not responsive. I asked for a fan and that helped quite a bit.

The staff I interacted with were all helpful and prompt. The location is central -- easy to go north to the magnificent mile shops or the river north restaurants. Also a short walk to milennium park to the south or the shops along state street. It fronts on Michigan Ave. so easy to get around and orient yourself.

The computer in the lobby was easily available, the atmosphere was nice down there. Also there was wireless in the room and I had no problem connecting with that.

The bathroom was interesting. Nice fixtures and a cool look. No bath, but a big shower. The fixed glass shower door only covered half the opening, if that makes sense -- so the other half is where you enter the shower and is always open. I could not avoid having some water splash out through the opening, so kind of a weird design. Nice Aveda bath products.

All in all, it's a nice hotel and good location. I would stay here again for the price. But I'd be a little worried about the temperature if it were hot -- I'd be afraid the room might not be cool enough. Also, just be prepared for very dim lighting. Although from other reviews it doesn't sound like that is a problem in every room.

• Liked — Location, price
  • Disliked — Dim lighting, warm room
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
All of our guests, including our corporate visitors, are important to us. Guests that would like an enhanced view of the city can book a Select Room, which offers enhanced city views for a very reasonable price. The lighting in the guestrooms was designed to convey a feeling of city nightlife, and many guests enjoy the thematic feel. Our upcoming renovation plan will focus on warmer lighting temperatures in the guestrooms while retaining the character of the original concept. For guests that presently stay with us, a lamp may be delivered to the room at the request of those who wish a brighter room. As to the size of our guestrooms- even our most economical room types measure approximately 350 square feet, which is larger than the guestrooms of many downtown Chicago hotels. We hope that any potential guests will consider this response while making a decision to stay at our hotel.

John Price
Columbia, SC
Reviewed January 17, 2009

We stayed for 2 nights from 01/03/09-01/05/09. Managed to get 20% off on a hard rock king room through a promotion on their website. If you can swing the extra $, I definitely recommend getting an upgraded room. Our friends stayed in a basic room, which was fine....We had a spacious, corner room with a window looking right on to Michigan Ave, plus another window with a small view of the lake. There was also one in the bathroom (definitely kept it closed while bathing, etc.). The beds & pillows were very comfortable. The room was immaculate.

The good - Location. Can't beat it. Walking distance to shopping on the mile, Millennium Park, restaurants, and museums. Not far from the Navy Pier (Its a pretty good walk, but there is a free trolley that you can pick up on Michigan Ave that takes you there & back). The staff was fantastic. We requested early check in (and late check out) & had no problem. The valet/porters are there to help you catch a cab even late in the evening. We had a late flight home, so we left our bags there with no problem. They really aimed to please...

We really had no complaints - but some travelers may not like the hotel restaurant. Its pricey, but its decent. There are so many dining options nearby, so it shouldn't be an issue. Our room didn't have a flat screen, but we didn't really watch much TV. It had a stereo system (which we never used). Lighting in the room may be a concern, it was a little on the darker side. There was no fridge or microwave. The minibar is stocked, but we never used it. There is a walgreens across the street if you need to stock up on anything.

Like any Hard Rock - it has some cool memorabilia. I wish we had more time to check it out. Next time...

I'm not sure why this property received some poor ratings. Like I said, try to spring for the upgraded rooms, you will not be disappointed.

• Liked — Location & Staff
  • Disliked — Lighthing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo