“Nice Hotel”

Ranked #107 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Minneapolis, MN
“Nice Hotel”
Reviewed November 9, 2008

This is a nice Hotel in a great location. We stayed at the Hard Rock for two nights... our overall experience was good however we did have some things that maybe need some attention.

The room is poorly lit. They try to create a laid back atmosphere...but ...if you need reading glasses the lighting may be an issue.

The bathroom was great except the counter space is very limited for all of your personal belongings.

The restaurant the China Grill is very expensive ($ 45.00) for two for breakfast buffet seems outrageous. The food was good but $45.00 is a bit much.

Don't touch the snacks or beverages they are outrageously priced.

We drove our car. The hotel will park your car for you at a charge of $45.00 per night. Not a problem except after we left we stopped for breakfast and discovered a dent and gash in the rear passenger door of the car. I know...my fault for not checking before we left but we were in a hurry. We called the hotel from the road and were told we would need to bring the car back to file a claim. Not very accommodating but I understand. We were very disappointed with the handling of our car for only two nights.

On the good side the hotel is very quite, comfortable, and the staff is very friendly. The hotel is located nicely in between the shopping on the magnificent mile, the theater district and museums. The bed was very comfortable we slept well.

Overall, a nice trip we would recommend staying at the Hard Rock despite some minor problems.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Experince with our car
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Polish first
California
Reviewed November 3, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Hard Rock over this past weekend (Oct. 30 thru Nov. 3) and I have to say that these hotel room are very nice and quite comfortable for the price. It's centrally located to many different attractions, and very accessible by bus or train. However, be warned.....we had our hotel room broken into on Halloween night. We returned from the Blackhawks game to find our room had been pried open (which was quite evident by the gashes in the door jam) - nothing of value was taken, but the creepiness factor still remained. We (obviously) switched rooms, but that didn't stop us from wondering if this is a prevalent problem (which we couldn't get a clear answer on). Make sure that if you stay here, you stay in a room in a hallway, not in the room off on it's own on the other side of the floor. No other issues popped up for the remainder of our stay, though next time because of this, we'll stay someplace with a bit more security.

• Liked — The views of the Mag Mile
  • Disliked — lack of security
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
HardRockMGR, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, November 24, 2008
Upon reading this review, we at the Hard Rock Hotel Chicago pulled the security reports for the night of Halloween, and found that this guest did call down to the security office to report a break-in, but upon investigation our security staff concluded that the room was not broken into. Our security team performed an electronic lock interrogation between the hours of 6:30 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. and there was no unusual activity regarding the door lock, which would have been disturbed in a break in. The doors to the guestrooms in our hotel are very heavy and sturdy, so if someone had successfully pried the guestroom door open, the signs of forced entry would have been significant. The gashes described in this review were most likely caused by a housekeeping cart or furniture installation, and did not result from an attempted break in. As our historic building naturally shifts, occasionally the doors to the guestrooms will not swing closed completely on their own as a guest exits the room, and it is required for the guest to pull the door shut behind them. Since there was no activity on the lock, no significant damage to the door frame, and no evidence of theft or disturbance of this guest’s belongings, we believe the evidence is sound that these guests simply neglected to pull the door shut behind them upon exiting their guestroom for the hockey game. At their request, we moved these guests to a new room for their comfort. Our guest floors are routinely patrolled, and there is a full security staff on hand to assure the safety and comfort of our guests at all times. All public entrances, exits, and common areas are under 24-hour surveillance by a dedicated security officer. At the time of this review, our hotel has never had a verified report of forced entry into a guest room. We hope that potential guests at our hotel will consider our account of this incident and will not be discouraged from trying out our hotel based on this guest’s misunderstanding.

John Price
scotland
Reviewed October 10, 2008

my husband and l stayed here after a very hectic week in new york. The room was very spacious and clean, the bed was huge and extremely comfortable. I really liked the Aveda bathroom products, great smell.
We had room service the first night and it arrived really quick and piping hot. Compliments to the chef.
The concierge was very helpful as we needed to find a few places and we were meeting up with friends and did not know how to get to Navy pier, directions were given to us accompanied by a map.
The weekend we were there it was their annual air and navy show, this was spectacular. The whole of the last day of the show we spent at Navy pier and the Millenium park.
Location of the hotel is very good for most things especially shopping.
If we are ever in Chicago again we will definately stay here.

• Liked — very comfortable beds
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed October 6, 2008

Location was great, within walking distance to a lot of the major sights and shopping areas.

Room was basic enough, but clean and had everything we needed.

We asked for a 2pm checkout and were told no, even though the hotel seemed very quiet all weekend.

The menu in the bar was disappointing, very limited choice.

Overall, it was fine but I probably wont stay here again!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Hyattsville, Maryland
Reviewed September 30, 2008

My wife and I traveled to Chicago for our honeymoon and decided to stay at the Hard Rock since it seemed like it would be a cool younger place to stay.

From the moment we walked in the front doors, to the morning we checked out, we were made to feel like VIP's! The room was a standard size with a king bed and a nice flat screen tv. The decoration was sort of minimalist, but what was displayed was music-themed and fairly toned down. The front desk was happy to provide a mini fridge upon request. Our room was cleaned twice a day and everyone we met was friendly and seemed happy to have us as guests.

The real seller was the view. We were on the 32nd floor facing North on Michigan Ave with a spectacular view of the Chicago architecture and the river below.

There is a small Hard Rock store downstairs although it didn't carry the full array of items the cafes do. (The Chicago cafe is about a 10 minute walk away). There was also a nice business center with free internet and printers which is always nice. We didn't try the room service or the restaurant just because there are so many great places to eat in the city. There was also a Walgreens right down the street that made an easy pit stop on the way back to the room.

If and when we ever go back to Chicago we will definitely be staying at the Hard Rock Hotel again!

• Liked — Great friendly staff and a room with amazing views!
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
United States
Reviewed September 25, 2008

I loved this place!

Great views and friendly staff.

I esp liked the Aveda products in the bath. Comfy bed and hardly any noise from neighbors. I would stay here again. In fact, I want to live there. : )

The only thing they need to do is work on window cleanliness. There were a ton of spiders outside our windows, so that affected the view a bit. I think the windows needed to be cleaned. Also, it would be nice if the hotel would offer recycling bins in the rooms.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Brandon, Canada
Reviewed September 21, 2008

I stayed here for 5 nights in early september 2008 while attending a trade show in chicago.

Luckily my company was paying the bill, otherwise I would not have been to happy paying $298/ per night for what I got. Honestly I have no problem paying that much per night if in fact it is justified in the service and amenities that you recieve.

The Theme: its cool trendy with bits and peices of rock nostalgia here and there.

The Location: Excellent, right downtown just of the magnificiant mile, close to millenium park and walking distance to the waterfront.

The Room: was trendy, although the furniture in my room was showing some significant signs of wear and abuse. the carpet in my room was also in need of replacement as it was stained, and also starting to bunch up. The bed was excellent, one of the best I have slept in, and I am pretty particular about beds and pillows! there was an cd/dvd stereo system in the room but I never found the remote for it.

The View: my room (2009) had a good view of people in the building immediatly north of the hotel, it also had a partial view of michigan ave, and the chicago river.

The Resturant: the theme in the resturant is pan asian which I like, and the food was okay, but like anything at this hotel, very overpriced, again I only ate there because my company was paying the way.

The Staff, was okay, each and every staff member said hi and made you feel welcome whenever the seen you. front desk was nice and efficient, the concierge desk was a little on the un-educated side: I asked them some directions a couple of times and they had limited knowledge of the area, even simple things like: how to get to the waterfront running/walking paths?.

The gym: I usually loathe hotel gyms, however this one was okay, It rained one day so I had to take my running to the treadmill in the gym, it was a very nice treadmill in like new condition, as was the rest of the equipment. it was a bit hot/humid in there though.

Summary:

this should be priced in the $150-$200 range, at $300 per night I expect more, such as a hotel airport shuttle, a small refrigerator in my room, maybe a ipod dock (the room had a cd/dvd player but who travels with cd's anymore?) the location is great.

I would only stay here again only if the price was right.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business