“Three nights and one more time - thanks for the memories”
Review of St. Jane Hotel

St. Jane Hotel
Ranked #114 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed March 22, 2014

If the title screams Fall Out Boy to you, it's on purpose. And not just because I love the band: Pete Wentz co-owns the hotel's bar, Angels and Kings, and can be seen here often. But this was my second stay here (for three nights), and a really good one.

First, I'll start with the rooms. The beds are among the most comfortable hotel beds that I've ever slept in, and the decor is fun and musical (example: floor 15, the floor that I was on, had Elvis decor). The rooms were decked out with great touches like a sound system and reading lights at each bed. Though I'm not a coffee person, each room has a Keurig machine, which I wish more hotels had. Don't like the house coffee (Newman's Own Organics in this case)? Just bring your own K-Cups. The bathroom had sleek decor, while the toiletries were top-notch (for example, the soap lathered great and didn't have a nasty scent). The towels were as good as the toiletries - fluffy, absorbent, and big (and you plenty of washcloths, a rarity in hotels regardless of the star level). The room as a whole was extremely clean, including places like the corners where you typically find dust and dirt and the tile grout in the shower where you can find a lot of nasty stuff often times.

I got the hotel through Hotwire, so I didn't get free in-room Wi-Fi, but it should be noted that Wi-Fi is free in-room if you book through the hotel directly or free to all in the lobby and business center. And for the cellphone users, AT&T and Sprint 4G LTE both work very well in the hotel and around Chicago.

I did have a meal at Chuck's, the on-premises restaurant run by Kerry Simon. Normally, I don't eat at hotel restaurants, but I made an exception for this one because of the Iron Chef Burger on the lunch menu that won first-place on Iron Chef. So I had to have the Iron Chef Burger for lunch one day. It didn't disappoint: it was extremely good with a char-broiled taste and top-notch toppings. It was also extremely filling - it got me through much of that day.

This hotel also has an excellent location. On North Michigan Avenue and a short walk to shopping? Check. State Street, Block 37, and Macy's (the former Marshall Field's location)? Bingo. The Art Institute close by? You betcha. The "L"? One block away. Millennium Station and the Metra Electric Line and South Shore trains? Two blocks away.

But the real star of the rock show here was the staff. They were not your typical stuffy big-city hotel staff: they were very easy to work with, knew the city, and were - dare I say - fun (no, not the band that gave us "Some Nights"). I wanted to get tickets to The Second City for one of their revues, so I went to the concierge. He got me tickets and dinner reservations at Adobo, an awesome Mexican restaurant next to The Second City, and told me how to get there on the "L". By the time I got to The Second City the following day, the show was sold-out with a standby list. The numerous people that I encountered at the front desk were equally amazing. Check-in was smooth and a room request made there was honored in seconds. Check-out was equally fast and easy.

Overall, I think that my second stay here was even better than the first. In music, they call it "a tough act to follow". But they did it.

Room Tip: If you plan on staying three days or more and plan on using CTA trains and buses, get a Ventra card...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
HardRockMGR, Manager at St. Jane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

WOW! We were really excited to receive the positive feedback about your recent stay here at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago in addition to your dining experience in our restaurant, Chuck's: A Kerry Simon Kitchen. These comments confirm that we've accomplished our goal - to create authentic experiences that truly rock for every one of our guests. This is our passion and we're glad it’s working. We're grateful to have been part of your recent travels and hope you'll be back so we can provide an encore performance. When and if you should have any future needs or questions, please don't hesitate to reach back out. Thanks again for this rockin' review!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,765)

Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

I loved the Hard Rock Hotel in San Diego so I opted to stay here. It was a disappointment. The room was small and DARK. The restaurant seemed just ok (I didn't even opt to eat there) and the location was ok but not great for enjoying the best of chicago...

Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago and for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us; we only wish you had enjoyed a more positive experience. Please accept our sincere apologies that our ambient, musically-inspired atmosphere and location on the base of the Magnificent Mile were not to your liking. We sincerely appreciate your feedback. Thanks again for your review!

Reviewed March 21, 2014

Do not book this hotel. They will not bend over backwards or any other way for that matter, for anything. Not friendly upon arrival or when our room is a sauna. They do not turn the a/c on and have made excuse after excuse for everything wrong. They do not care about their customers, just their money. I would highly suggest looking elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Rebeccawest88

First and foremost, thank you very much for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. We are incredibly disappointed to hear that you didn't enjoy a more positive, authentic experience at our property. Please accept our sincere apologies for any unfriendliness encountered during your stay. Please contact us directly should you wish to discuss this further: email@hardrockhotelchicago.com. Thanks again for your review!

Reviewed March 21, 2014

short visit to Chicago for a hockey game. Hotel room was clean and comfortable, but a bit small. Location is great, easy access to everything. having to pay for wifi seems like gouging, should be included in room rate.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos

Thank you very much for choosing Hard Rock Hotel Chicago and for taking the time to share this valuable feedback with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your clean and comfortable guest room and our Michigan Avenue location in close proximity to the city's hottest shops, restaurants and local attractions. As a note of disclosure, complimentary WiFi is provided to all guests who book their reservations directly through our website. We hope you will keep us in mind the next time your travels bring you to Chicago. Thanks again for your review!

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Great location and awesome staff! Recently stayed while visiting Chicago for a Bulls game. Would highly recommend to everyone. The rooms, front desk staff, valet and overall service was awesome. I continue to stay here each time I visit Chicago

• Stayed: March 2014

Wow! Thanks so much for the fantastic feedback on your most recent stay with Hard Rock Hotel Chicago; we are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our Michigan Avenue location, well-appointed guest rooms and highly personalized service from our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back for an encore performance. Thanks again for your review!

Reviewed March 18, 2014

We had tickets to Hendrix experience concert wanted to stay at Hard Rock hotel. My husband and I both play guitar so had a guitar brought to room. The Platinum king suite was perfect. view of the city and saw the river get dyed green for St. Patrick's day. Everything was great except in morning no hot water to take a shower. When checking out mentioned it to front desk who said yeah I know! Don't understand why it didn't seem to be a big deal but that's fine. I would like to know what kind of pillows they use I really liked them. I did like we were able to check in early.

Room Tip: Looking for cheap parking go to park wiz ABM right across the street. Overnight $36.00
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing Hard Rock Hotel Chicago during your St. Patrick's Day weekend. We're thrilled to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your Platinum King suite and were able to take advantage of our Fender guitar rental program, which allows guests to jam out in their rooms the duration of their stay with us. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences caused with the hot water; thank you for bringing this issue to the front desk team's attention upon check-out so that our engineering team could resolve the problem. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to Chicago; thanks so much for your review!

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Off the northeast corner of the loop on a dingy part of Michigan avenue. This is a dark green and gilded gleaming gem of a building on the outside, lots of bronze and stone in the lobby. I was there on a slack winter weekend via a Priceline deal. The room was quite nice, excellent bedding, nice TV and bath. The warnings about moving the minibar items seemed a bit ominous - but I'd never pay $8 for a can of Pringles or a candy bar! Plenty of Walgreens/CVS around for convenience items. Trader Joes and Whole foods within a half dozen blocks north for in room snacks.

This hotel is quite convenient to the Art Institute, Infinity Sculpture, Millennium Park and Symphony Hall just south on Michigan. It's also close to downtown theaters and Macy's (Marshal Fields). Closest Starbucks is a whole block in almost any direction.

I had a glimpse of the river from my room, with nicer views of the architecture to the north - Wrigley, Trump, Tribune, and Hancock buildings.

If you book from their website in-room wifi is included. Otherwise take your tablet/smartphone down to the lobby and get a voucher there to connect - after I did it worked in the room for free.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Thank you very much for choosing Hard Rock Hotel Chicago during a recent winter getaway! We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our well-appointed guest rooms with beautiful city views, Michigan Avenue location and gleaming historic home in the Carbide and Carbon Building. We hope you will keep us in mind the next time your travels whisk you away to the Windy City. Thanks again for your review!