“Van Morrison & The Finest Eggs Benedict in The World!”

Hard Rock Hotel Chicago
Ranked #109 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Weston-super-Mare
“Van Morrison & The Finest Eggs Benedict in The World!”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We arrived at "The Hard Rock" suitably tired after flying in from the UK, but felt immediately revived by Van Morrison's Brown Eyed Girl playing loud and proud in reception. The receptionist who checked us in was happy, polite, efficient and sympathetic to our post flight weariness. Our room was situated on "The Who" floor with I think, two of John Entwistle's mighty base guitars in a display cabinet just outside our room door. Inside the room there was plenty of space and with Iggy Pop looking down on us and John and Yoko in the bathroom! we were in good company.

After a good nights sleep we made our way down for breakfast. Whilst my wife was happy with the fruit based meal that she chose, I had the good sense to order Eggs Benedict. Well what can I say....they were just perfect, as was the smile from the lovely lady who served us. Sadly there was no grapefruit juice available as I had hoped, but guess what? next morning I didn't even need to ask, before we were even asked for our order it just appeared on our table accompanied by a smile. We had a drink and a meal in the bar in the evening and again excellent food with friendly and efficient service.

The location of the hotel is perfect with the river just a minute's walk away, and talking of the river, if you visit and have good weather make sure you visit O'Brien's River Walk Cafe which is just below the nearest bridge to the hotel. There are too many attractions within walking distance of the hotel to mention so rest assured you will won't have time to wonder what to do if you stay.

So the staff were all great, the room was great, Van Morrison was great, but the eggs benedict were the greatest! Will we stay at The Hard Rock next time we visit Chicago? Well I rather think so, don't you?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kemlo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Polish first
Atlanta
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We spent 2 nights at the Hard Rock Chicago in August, and really enjoyed our stay. The location was perfect. Just a few blocks to some great attractions (Millennium Park, Michigan Avenue, the river.) It was also a quick walk from a few major train stops (easy to get to/from: O'Hare, Wrigley). Early check-in on a Saturday wasn't a problem.

The 2 Queen room was clean and comfortable, and we had no issues with noise from the street or other rooms during the stay. I got a pretty good rate by prepaying 14 days in advance on their website, considering it was a summer weekend, and the airshow was in town.

I wouldn't hesitate to book there again for our next trip.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I spent 6 night at the Hard Rock Chicago during September 13. Check in was great with really friendly and helpful staff. I was given free Wifi but it was pretty slow so I upgraded to a fast paid for service at about $5 a day which was much faster. On checkout this was refunded as a goodwill gesture so I am glad I upgraded. The room was large, nicely decorated and the bed very comfortable. No bath, but a big shower which I was happy with. Unfortunately I was disturbed by the constant roar of the A/C tower on a neighbouring lower building. As soon as I asked about moving I was allocated a different room. This wasn't much quieter (street noise plus A/C) but I guess that is what you get for staying in a city. This room had a shower over a bath. The hotel location is excellent. Easy walking to loads of restaurants, the pier, the lake etc. The concierge recommended a great local place for breakfast. All the staff were really friendly. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Just back from 5 nights at the Hard Rock Hotel Chicago and we really enjoyed it, the hotel room was spacious, clean and comfortable. We were checked in and out efficiently and had no problems with reception. Hotel was in a great location and we would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HardRockMGR, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
WOW! Thank you so much for choosing Hard Rock Hotel Chicago and for taking the time to share such outstanding feedback on your stay with us. We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our spacious, clean and comfortable guest rooms, central location in the heart of downtown Chicago and friendly, efficient front desk team. We look forward to welcoming you back for a return visit. Thanks again for your review!
Jamesburg, New Jersey
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Don't be fooled by the name and the fame. I found the Hard Rock Hotel to be an okay place to stay. from the start (getting out of the cab) the bell staff is average or a little below average. The initial greeting was not there as one would expect from such a famous hotel. The greeting at the front desk was much better and more welcoming. The rest of the lobby staff was very good and that made things a little better. Over all the hotel is in a great location and close to everything including transportation which is reasonably priced. Great restaurants are close by and walking around the area was nice. The hotel itself needs some TLC. I found the lobby, the two bars, the elevators not in cleanest condition they could be. I feel the bars really need some help especially for the prices they charge. The room I had was on the 12 floor and the size was just average, I did sleep well for a city atmosphere, however, the hallway noise was bothersome early in the morning. the rooms were not as clean as expected, I found a lot of dusting issues as well as maintenance issues in the room. The bathroom floor tiles were loose along with the toilet seat. I am not saying I would not stay hear again, it just would not be my first choice. The first morning I went down to the restaurant ( which is the bar) to get a cup of coffee and after paying $3.00 for it I decided it best to walk a block away and get coffee, a bagel and a warm greeting for the same price. By the way, if you want a bottle of water in your room it will only cost you $8 bucks, go figure. The price to stay at the hotel was okay, I am guessing market value. I would not recommend purchasing anything in the hotel, next door or a block away you can get what you want for a normal city price.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for choosing Hard Rock Hotel Chicago and for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. While we're pleased to hear that you received friendly treatment from our front desk team and enjoyed our central location in the heart of downtown Chicago, we only wish you had enjoyed a more positive guest experience with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for the maintenance and cleanliness issues you encountered during your stay with us; we aim to surpass expectations in these areas and are very sorry we were unable to meet yours. We hope you will consider coming back for a return visit so we can really WOW you. Thanks again for your review!
Chicago
Reviewed October 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here with the wedding party and bride/groom for my best friend's wedding (and my boyfriend's birthday). We all had a great time! The food and drinks are delicious. The rooms are comfy and spacious (and cool). Each floor is dedicated to a rock star and includes memorabilia. Great location - walking distance to other restaurant and shops, and more importantly Michigan Avenue. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos

HardRockMGR, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share such wonderful feedback on you and your boyfriend's most recent stay at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago! We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our food and beverage offerings, comfortable and spacious guest rooms, rock star memorabilia and central downtown location. We look forward to welcoming you back for a return visit. Thanks again for your review!
Newburgh, IN
Reviewed October 3, 2013

If you get a room assignment ending in -17 ( 517, 617, 717, etc) - ask for another room (or a discount). The room is large (big enough for two king size beds) but you'll find yourself tucking back in behind the elevator bay and with the floor ice machine only 3 feet from your door (I carry a tape measure when I travel... I measured it... and yes I'm a nerd :-)

There is an electrical hum coming from the back wall of the room but on the bright side after a day or so you don't really notice it anymore.

Staff was nice -- the maids are really quiet. Ask me how I know... Access to the service elevator is through a door just 4' 7-1/2" from your room door. They must maneuver their carts through that door past your door and then around the corners to the rest of the hotel floor. I never heard them. Good for them (and me).

Brand management - I am certain that Hard Rock Hotel management is aware of the shortcomings to this specific room arrangement. If you get one of these, complain, ask for another room or a discount on this one. If, however, you get any one of the other hundreds of available rooms - never mind ;-)

ps - Do the Hard Rock responses to all of the Trip Advisor reviews read like PR fluff touting some feature of the hotel... even those addressing complaints?

Room Tip: Don't take a room ending in -17.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for choosing Hard Rock Hotel Chicago and for taking the time to share such thorough and unique feedback with us! We certainly appreciate your review and apologize for any inconveniences or noise disturbances caused by the elevator banks or ice machines. We’re very happy to hear that you received friendly service from our staff and hope to welcome you back for a return visit; this time in a room that doesn’t end with “17.”

P.S. You might say we’re “glass half full” kind of people and look for the positive in every situation. And we think it’s pretty cool that you never leave home without your trusty tape measure.