“Great Location!”

Hard Rock Hotel Chicago
Ranked #114 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed July 3, 2008

Just spent three nights at the Hard Rock Hotel at the end of June 08.

This is a nice hotel with a great location. You are within five blocks of the major subway stations and a few blocks to the art museum. We easily caught trains to Wrigley Field and the Loop. We even took the train to Ohare when we left (It was not hard. The train went right into the airport and we saved about $45.).

As indicated in other reviews, we did not find the rooms to be too dark. The whole hotel has a vibe and the rooms follow suit. We were without kids and it was good thing. This is not a kid hotel.

The service in the bar is very good and the prices of the drinks were not too expensive for a four star hotel. They also serve an interesting tray of munchies for customers.

The only negative thing I would have to say about this hotel is that the staff at the front desk, valet and bell desk are not that accomodating. This hotel has an emphasis on youth and we felt sometimes that these employees needed more direction. Guests should not need to track down a bellman or interrupt a valet's conversation to receive assistance. The Westin on Michigan Ave is not as nice a hotel as the Hard Rock, but the service is superior. The main problem with the hard Rock is that there is nothing special about the level of service. It should be better.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (2,758)

Reviewed July 2, 2008

This hotel is great!! Love the outside. Love the inside! We got a corner room(room 1501) which had a fantastic view! So many windows! We could see right down Michigan Ave. The room was huge! Nice comfy beds, 2 chairs, a desk, a mini bar, closet storage, and cd player. Our bathroom was huge, too with a stand up shower. The front desk was very friendly and helpful. We had no problems with our stay. I am glad we chose to stay here. We could walk right down to the Taste of Chicago. We walked every where-to Navy Pier, down the Magnificent Mile, to Millenium park to see the silver bean.There is a Giardano's pizza real close, a Subway, and Bennigans. There is also a Walgreens right across the street and a 7-11 close by.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 1, 2008

I wasn't expecting much this being a Hard Rock brand. I have stayed in Chicago a number of times at a variety of hotel on Michigan Avenue and I didn't even really know where this one was because it's rather south of the main retail action. I was in town for three days for a convention so I bucked up and checked in. The decor is very modern but dark. The rooms are elegantly appointed and average size for a Chicago hotel room. The bathroom looked brand new and was quite spacious. The exercise room also very dark but empty throughout the entire weekend I was there. One of my only complaints is the overwhelming smell of greasy Chinese food in the elevator bay on the first floor during dinner time. The restaurant must not have very good ventilation. The conference rooms were spacious but freezing cold (it was in the 70s outside). All in all, the service was very good, the hotel was lovely, spotlessly clean and it was a pleasant surprise. No neon lights or overhanging David Bowie outfits (all the memorobilia was tastefully suppressed under plexiglass). I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 24, 2008

I stayed at the Hard Rock for 5 days in June 2008. I recommend it to anyone that is either young or young at heart. The decor is very modern & edgy with rock memoribillia throughout the hotel. All the employees very friendly & accomodating & went beyond themselves to make sure I was happy. Room service was excellant & the portions were big.

The location is perfect. Right in the heart of Chicago...only one block from the river. Shopping is just a few blocks down & easy to walk to. There is a Walgreens right across the street so there is no need to pay $3.00 for sodas in the room frig. Also, the bell- hop offered me an empty refrigerator, a microwave & an ipod docking station if I wanted any of them...no additional charge. I didn't need them but the service is there if you need it....just ask. The room comes with a Sony suround sound system too.

I read some of the reviews & apparently some people book this hotel through priceline bidding or hotwire & only know they are getting a 4 star hotel but not the exact hotel. Some of those reviews give this hotel bad marks because the expected a different style hotel. If you want cherry wood traditional decor with marble countertops & daisy floral arrangements...this hotel is not for you. This is for a someone that likes a more modern feel.

The best thing about this hotel is the location, the quietness of the rooms & the beds. The matteress & pillows are the best of any hotel I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank TCJtown
Reviewed June 17, 2008

I was scheduled to stay at the Hard Rock in June, but had to cancel. I had booked the hotel back in January. When I called six days before my arrival date to cancel, I was told that I would be charged for my stay because I did not cancel seven days in advance. I told the customer service rep that I had never heard of such a practice, but she said, in a very smug manner, that I was told back in January. I honestly don't remember being told of the cancellation policy, but think it is a unprofessional practice to capture some additional dollars since it is not an industry standard to require a seven day cancellation policy when you book directly with the hotel. I, for one, will never stay at a Hard Rock hotel and will make sure that my friends and business associaties know of this unfair practice.

Stayed: June 2008
2  Thank californiatraveler01
Reviewed June 10, 2008

I went to the hotel with my boyfriend for his business party and stayed there 3 nights.
The hotel looks ok, but the rooms are very dark. I really couldn't tell how I looked since they were so dark, and I felt like the carpets in the room generated too much static electricity but that's probably just me. The location is good, we walked from there to the Pier, but it was freezing that time of year. I wouldn't have chosen this hotel myself and I wouldn't go back again. I can't complain too much though since everything was paid for by his work. However, the hotel did try to charge us for one night for some reason and we had to call them back multiple times to try and fix it. It took us almost 2 weeks to get to the right person since they were on vacation or something and it seems that they only have one person who deals with wrong charges. Overall, it's kind of a fun place to stay at for a couple days but I wouldn't want to stay there longer than that.

Also if you are cheap like me, there is a Walgreen’s right across from it if you don’t want to pay $3 for a can of pop from the mini-fridge.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 8, 2008

My husband stayed here for two weeks while in the Windy City on business and I joined him for a long weekend. You have to 'adjust' your expectations when staying at the Hard Rock. It is dimly lit and decked out with Rock legends pics, paraphernalia, etc. It is a pretty convenient location being close to a train stop, and walking distance to several parks and other tourists spots. The bar area and restaurant can get pretty lively at night but hey that's to be expected. And we didn't hear any of it except on our way in and out. There are two different entrances so you don't actually have to walk through the more social area on your way to your room. We had a pretty awesome corner room although it didn't leave much privacy. They also gave my DH a fridge and microwave since he was there for awhile. One thing that was really weird is that there was a window in the middle of the shower and only a thin shade for privacy. I was a little worried people below could see my silhouette in window so I took pretty quick showers. Oh I did I mention there was a pic of Billy Idol above the toilet? Fun times indeed but the front desk was great and helpful and housekeeping did a good job as well. I would recommend this hotel based on personality but it was certainly an experience.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled on business