“Hard Rock On”

Ranked #111 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Hard Rock On”
Reviewed June 8, 2008

My husband stayed here for two weeks while in the Windy City on business and I joined him for a long weekend. You have to 'adjust' your expectations when staying at the Hard Rock. It is dimly lit and decked out with Rock legends pics, paraphernalia, etc. It is a pretty convenient location being close to a train stop, and walking distance to several parks and other tourists spots. The bar area and restaurant can get pretty lively at night but hey that's to be expected. And we didn't hear any of it except on our way in and out. There are two different entrances so you don't actually have to walk through the more social area on your way to your room. We had a pretty awesome corner room although it didn't leave much privacy. They also gave my DH a fridge and microwave since he was there for awhile. One thing that was really weird is that there was a window in the middle of the shower and only a thin shade for privacy. I was a little worried people below could see my silhouette in window so I took pretty quick showers. Oh I did I mention there was a pic of Billy Idol above the toilet? Fun times indeed but the front desk was great and helpful and housekeeping did a good job as well. I would recommend this hotel based on personality but it was certainly an experience.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank DCMrsg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Polish first
Uckfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2008

Really great buzzy place – one that I will visit again and again.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank WWHITE1967
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed May 19, 2008

We had a perfect stay here and I would consider it a terrific value if you obtain the room as we did through hotwire. I wouldn't know how to compare it with alternatives if you had to pay full price.

I would go back - this is a perfect location and it was somewhat distinctive. Building renovation is really inspiring. We had a corner room on a higher floor which had plenty of light and high ceilings. 5 big windows with superb drapes. The bath was spacious; all fixtures were new and the furniture was fine. It was perfectly quiet where we were and no sign of any teeny-bopper groups anywhere (that I was concerned about before arrival).

I found service downstairs was reasonably responsive but one has to remember it's a fairly small hotel. Good lobby coffee and a couple computers in a nice spot that were usually free.

That matched my expectations (in fact, that was something I really liked -it being a smaller hotel). The feel is upscale spartan but it's a touch above 'swank.' The room had a quality to it I don't see in the chain hotels below this mark (like Hyatt Place, for example).

I would go back but I realize based on the reviews you might have a different experience if you don't manage to get as great a room as we did.

You are paying for location here. It's great for a Chicago weekend.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank spingetdizzy
Jenison, MI
Reviewed May 14, 2008

I've stayed at better 2 Star hotels than this one. The pictures do not do it any justice. Rooms were filthy. I had to request housekeeping to clean our room on the second day.

• Liked — It was right Downtown
  • Disliked — Not a 4 Star Hotel by any means
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pooh53175
Elgin, Illinois
Reviewed May 12, 2008

We booked a room for a "four - star" hotel in Chicago via a discount website. While the location of this hotel is fabulous, we did not feel that the four star rating was appropriate. The concierge and bell service were slow and somewhat unresponsive. The lobby and room were unimpressive. You can hear lots of noise coming from outside your room. While we did not spend much for this room in Chicago, I would be hesitant to recommend it to others for regular rates or an extended stay.

Stayed May 2008
Minnesota
Reviewed May 8, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel in Chicago for our 1 year anniversary. The hotel was very clean and the staff was friendly. The best part of it was the location. Highly recommended!

• Liked — The location!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
bossier la
Reviewed May 1, 2008

This hotel was chosen for me for a business convention. The lobby was pretty cool. But the rooms were tiny and very dark. I had a huge picture of Kiss above my toilet. It was very hard to do my makeup or read because of the lighting. The location is OK. You have to walk a few blocks to get to the best part of Michigan Ave, but its not too bad. Be prepared for some sad sights after dark. Apparently panhandling is permitted in Chicago ( some cities will give you a ticket for begging) because at night, the beggars come out. The saddest thing i saw was an older woman with her two grandkids sitting on a curb in the freezing snow on a -5 temp night. Those kids looked terrible. Unfortunatly its all up and down the wealthiest part of the city. You don't see so many in the daylight. Also the room service at the Hard Rock is pretty good. Its plenty for 2 people. I would not stay here again though. I suggest the Omni Hotel.

• Liked — room service
  • Disliked — dark rooms
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business