“Good hotel in a great part of town....but please someone turn on the lights” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hard Rock Hotel Chicago

Hard Rock Hotel Chicago
Ranked #104 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
BROOKLYN
“Good hotel in a great part of town....but please someone turn on the lights”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2008

I stayed at the Hard Rock for 2 days and have to say the hotel is nice and has a cool look to it. But like so many people have said it does indeed have dimly lit rooms and equally dim hallways. But as two brothers on a trip to see Chicago it did not bother us. I can see how it would bother a woman trying to do her make up since it is darker than the usual hotel room. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. Good view of the marina city buildings (aka the corn on the cob twin buildings) from room 811. It is located in a nice area of downtown Chicago with Millennium Park just 5 minutes away and close to many boat tours on Wacker Drive. We were granted a late check out (1pm instead of noon) so that was nice for us since our flight was not until 5pm. The hotel also has free wifi internet which was a nice touch since so many 4 star hotels charge for 24 use of their internet. I used the concierge to check into my airline and print out my boarding passes. They were quick with getting them for me as I checked out. I do agree with the previous post that paying more than $100-$150 a night is not worth it. But then again thats because I got this for $100 a night off of priceline. I could not imagine paying the $250 a night they wanted through their website. Even with the $25 itunes gift card offer thats just too much to pay for a room. I would recommend this hotel to a friend and I would definitely stay here again. But next time I'd prefer the Beatles floor (4th floor), we got stuck with Cheap Trick (8th floor).

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — had to check in twice at the front desk bc I booked the 2 nights seperately.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank ANDYH428

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2008

I very much enjoyed my stay at the Hard Rock Hotel in Chicago. Upon arrival, the staff was very, very friendly. My room was available right when I got there--which was amamzing because I thought I was going to have to wait. I ended up leaving my cell phone in the taxi I took from O'Hare to the hotel. I mentioned it to the front desk, then I guess word got around and one of the bell hops helped me out with it, even got the taxi driver's name, cab number and cell phone and gave it to me as I was coming back from doing some shopping.

The lobby of the hotel is perfect. The atmosphere is amazing. I felt cool just standing there. I would hang out there all the time if I could. The hotel definitely attracts a younger, more fun crowd. The location is amazing....walking distance from all the shopping, eating, museums, entertainment, art you could want!!! Not to mention, if you get lost, it is easy to find your way back because A: the hotel is on a major street (Michigan Ave) and B: the hotel is made to look like a champagne bottle...so you can always look for that gold top and know which way to go! I could see it from almost anywhere I was.

My room was absolutely perfect. I read alot of complaints about the lighting in the rooms. I thought there was sufficient light. I also thought the bathroom lighting was perfect for putting your makeup on in the morning (for the ladies!) The lighting makes you look beautiful, unlike most hotel lighting which is far too harsh! ew! The cleanliness of the room is great. The Houskeepers were very friendly, always saying hi when I would walk by. The only complaint I have about them (and probably the whole hotel) is that they started cleaning too early and it woke me up. On to the decor, I thought it was pretty rad. Very chic and modern. I loved the art. (I had John Lennon in my bathroom!) The bed was very very comfy...best sleep I've had in a while...and I did not feel like I didn't want to use their linens. My favorite part of the room was the robe... I felt like a rockstar. :P There was also a dvd/5 disc CD changer and a good variety of channels and pay per view movies. The rooms all have free WiFi which I greatly appreciate. Free WiFi was actually one of the main reasons I chose this particular hotel (not to mention I got a pretty good deal through expedia.com) The bathrooms were very well stocked and the hairdryer was great ...a definite plus for me because I'm a hairdresser and I need a good blowdryer.

One other negative thing, which is also to be expected, the mini bar prices were definitely outrageous. BUT a Walgreen's is literlly across the street and you could purchase anything there that is in the minibar (minus alcohol) for a quarter of the price!

All in all, I LOVED this hotel and will DEFINITEY stay there every time I am in Chicago!

• Liked — Location, Bed
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank may91999
Pleasant Garden, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2008

Booked the HRH via Hotwire. Was able to obtain a room for $100 a night. Spending any more than $120 a night is a waste of money. Location is ok if you are looking to be in the loop and theater district. Nice shops in the area and CVS/Walgreens across the street.

Rooms are as previously stated - dark - gray walls - little light - room design trying to be retro with a non functional application. For a standard room there is very little closet space, 2 people in a room is the max, very little dresser space. One drawer in dresser is full of snacks.. but don’t move them.. they sit on sensors and if moved, your room is charged immediately. same goes for the fridge. their room amenities say you have one - but it is full of HRH beverages and if you move a beverage or item in it - you just bought it...

Parking in the area - expect to pay $30 a night - using HRH valet is $45 a night. I called several garages and they quoted $14 - 20 a night - wrong! that is just for a 12 hour parking period - 24 hours is a min. of $30 downtown. and no in/out privileges unless you valet with HRH. If you can avoid it - don't drive unless your combined cost of hotel and parking is cheaper than flying... or train.

Bar in hotel - nice - but EXPENSIVE! Beers - domestic - $5 - (cheapest item). Imports - $6-12, Martini's - $14 - 20, glass of wine - $12. Shot & Pop - $12. Watched the bartenders working on Sat give their friend who use to work there (overheard them talking) 4 Martini's - super sized for $10... but the next guy who bought the same - $60 - ouch! - its all about who ya know.

Bathroom products provided are Aveda - nice!
Shower - no tub - is a shower stall - with glass pane vs. curtain - nice size for two... basic room is 350sq.ft. bed comfortable.

27" tube TV with DVD player and radio.

I would go back for location only - but not at their standard $250+ a night rate... as I said - anything over a $100 is too much for what you get.

walking around downtown - be prepared for beggars’ - every corner has one or two individuals camped out shaking a coffee cup asking for money. Some say good day - others tell ya off for not dropping your change.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bums on each corner begging for your change
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ToddintheRidge
Cleveland, OH
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2008

The hotel was booked for a convention through my company. The rooms are small and very, very dark. It was difficult to put on makeup and reading was almost impossible even with all the lights on. Closet space was small, after you found the closet - hidden behind a mirror. Drawer space - forget it. Most of the space was taken up by the snacks for sale. The chair in the room was very contempory, but also very uncomfortable. There are no vending machines in the hotel, so if you wanted a Coke you had to pay the $6.00+ a can price in your mini frig. There is no Hard Rock Cafe attached to the hotel, just a very pricey Chinese restaurant. The only positive thing I can say is they have a business center with free internet and printing.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank travelpair13
Memphis, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2008

Overall this hotel is nice. I agree with the previous reviewer who said the rooms are too dark to work. The rooms have no overhead lighting outside the bathroom and have just one lamp that is supposed to light the whole room, but does a poor job. There are three other lamps- one on the desk and two by the bed, but they are primarily made for reading, not illuminating the room. The exercise room was good, the staff was friendly. Overall it was a fine hotel.

My one gripe is with the room I was first given. It was room 2501. I'm giving this just to warn others in case you get this room. There are very few rooms on the 25th floor, so I'm betting the problem is with all of them. Initially, I noticed that the room had two big spotlights outside the window that are used to illuminate the top of the building. I'm sure it looks cool from outside, but it will force you to close those blinds (therefore robbing you of your view) because they are quite bright. Not a huge deal- I just closed the blinds. The second problem I noticed was a banging noise that happened every minute or so. I'm a sound sleeper, so didn't think it would bother me. But every 5 minutes or so there was a much louder bang/rattling noise. It was loud enough to make me jump each time it happened. The first time I thought someone was breaking down the door to my room. I think it must have been noise from the mechanical room, which I noticed was also on the 25th floor. Not being one to cause a fuss, I decided to try and deal with it. Well, by 2am I was wide awake in my bed awaiting the next jarring BANG! I finally gave up and called the front desk around 3am and they were nice enough to give me another room. Not sure what I would have done had the hotel been sold out because I could not have gotten a good night sleep with that noise.

I can't imagine I'm the only person who has had this experience with this room unless this was a temporary problem within their hotel. So my gripe here is that they put anyone in that room at all considering 99% of the population would have a very difficult time sleeping through the noise.

So overall I'd say it's a fine hotel as long as you don't stay on the 25th floor. Or if you happen to notice a loud noise in your room, change rooms immediately. Don't wait around hoping the noise will stop like I did.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise. Decor.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
usa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2008

The stay here was terrible. The room was dark - the walls and furnishings were all grey. The lighting was poor. It was just an ugly room. No coke machines on the floors forced you to buy from the mini bar @ $4 for a canned coke. The lobby smelled like Chinese food because of the China grill located on the bottom floor. I could go on and on about how much I disliked this hotel. The highlight of our trip was running into Potsie Webber from Happy Days in the elevator. Do yourself a favor and don't book here.

Postscript: the Hard Rock Hotel is located at the far end of Michigan Avenue across the river. Not suitable for walking to shopping destinations ,etc..

• Liked — Checking Out
  • Disliked — The rooms were ugly.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank sassygirl123Usa
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hard Rock over St. Patrick's Day weekend. We flew in pretty early so we were expecting not to be able to check into our room until later on that day. To our suprise, the room was ready we we got there. They did have a place that they would hold your luggage if the room wasn't ready. The staff were also very nice. They were able to answer all of our questions and give great recommendations for food. The room wasn't huge, but it was perfect for us. The king size bed was amazing and the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on in a hotel. The lighting was very dim in the room, but we like that kind of atmosphere. I know people complained about not being able to put make up on, but the lighting in the bathroom was much better to do that. The location was wonderful. It was an easy walk to pretty much anything. We got a discount rate through Travelocity so it was definately worth the price. I would probably not pay the full price to stay again, but if I got a deal I would be back in a heartbeat!

• Liked — Great location and atmosphere.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple