“Fun time but not extraordinary” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hard Rock Hotel Chicago

Hard Rock Hotel Chicago
Ranked #104 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Iowa
“Fun time but not extraordinary”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

My family and I had a great time at the Hard Rock Hotel this weekend, and it was perfect for celebrating my son's 16th birthday. It was a guitar-loving teenager's dream to be able to check out a high-end electric guitar and take it to our room for him to play! They give headphones with the guitars so you don't rattle the walls and disturb other guests, which is nice. But I would have liked to have heard him play - the headphones make it impossible for anyone to hear but the musician who is playing the guitar.

I expected the "rock star" theme to be more extreme than it was, but it was rather subdued. The lobby was tiny, dark and had loud music blaring, which was a bit odd (hard time hearing at check-in and getting directions from the concierge), but yet made us feel like we were in for a good time. It was fun to go floor to floor to see which rock star was featured on each level and to see some memorabilia.

The room was stylishly decorated. However, it was dark in the room's hallway and especially dark in the bathroom which made it very difficult for my husband to shave and me to get ready in the morning. There is a very dimly-lit makeup mirror that did little to no good. No one likes to get ready in the dark! The beds and pillows were very comfy. My main complaint in the room was the windows - they did very little to drown out the street noise and we were 22 stories high! Drawing the curtains did offer some help, but the blaring sirens that we heard throughout the night sounded like they were right in the room with us.

Staff was friendly, concierge was extremely helpful, valet was professional. We had to wait well beyond check-in time for our room to be ready which was a pain, but they gave my husband some free drink tickets to use while we waited. Too bad the free drinks didn't help us as it was a family trip and we aren't big drinkers.

Room service is extremely overpriced. We are experienced travelers and know what to expect, but $15 for a scoop of ice cream ($9 + $3 fee + tax and tip)? Ridiculous!

The Hard Rock Hotel is within walking distance of several good restaurants and some shopping.

Honestly, this hotel is average as far as downtown Chicago hotels at this price range go, but my son loved it, so I'm giving it a "very good" rating.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, request a room that isn't on a corner. The windows aren't well i...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HardRockMGR, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
We are so pleased to see that you and your family had a fun time celebrating at our hotel, but we wish you had been more impressed with our atmosphere. Although it does not look like our hotel was your style, we are glad to see that your son had a blast rocking out with one of our Fender guitars and enjoyed his birthday vacation. It is wonderful that our staff was so helpful and professional, and we really appreciate your feedback so we can provide more positive experiences in the future. Thank you very much for your review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Polish first
Green Bay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for our 20th wedding anniversary weekend. Bellhop was great. Gave us 4 free passes for drinks. Concierge gave us free comedy passes. Great place.

• Stayed October 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your glowing review! We are so honored that you celebrated your wedding anniversary at our hotel, and we are thrilled that our staff helped make your stay special. Congratulations! It looks like you had a wonderful time in the city, and we appreciate your comments. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon!
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

My wife and I spent two nights at the hotel and we both enjoyed the stay. I especially felt at home because the personnel did not wear costumes like some hotels have their bellman and valets wear; this is a fine hotel that does not make you feel that you do not belong there. It has a very nice fitness center, at no charge and open 24 hours. The location is terrific, close to museums and shopping as well as restaurants. If you want a stuffy hotel that is very formal don't come here. If you want a good time, this is the place.

Room Tip: If you pay a little more a room with a view is available. If you book at their website I believe tha...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HardRockMGR, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
We are absolutely thrilled that you were so comfortable at our hotel! It is wonderful to see that you enjoyed our recently renovated fitness center, and it looks like you had a blast exploring the area surrounding our centrally located hotel as well. We feature upgraded room types with enhanced city views, and we do offer complimentary WiFi for reservations booked directly through our website. Thank you very much for your review! We are glad you shared your thoughts with us, and we hope to see you again!
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

Very loud ! Great location. Upgraded to a corner king . Nice views of the city.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
HardRockMGR, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
While we wish we could have impressed you more, we are glad to see that you enjoyed staying in an upgraded room type with enhanced city views, and it looks like you had a great time being in the heart of the city as well. We hope the ambient sounds of our transient property did not prevent you from getting a good night's sleep. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us -- we appreciate your review!
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

It is a vary nice hotel with an excellent staff and terrific location But the hall and room was monochromatic everything was GRAY or close to it. A bit to much. Maybe it is my age 40+ but I travel a lot and I think the biggest drawback of the hotel was the lighting in the room. It was dark for me, nevermind my wife having a bigger problem with it when trying to get ready and applying makeup. She could not see if it was on properly and I couldn't even really tell her until outside. This is what I think could be an easy fix. Other than the lighting everything else would have bene Great. She LOVED the Martini bar, a little pricy but Great drinks.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gene63
HardRockMGR, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
We wish our style had been to your liking, but we are glad to see that our staff provided excellent service and that you enjoyed our central location as well. It looks like you and your wife had a great time checking out our bar, Angels & Kings, which is great. We sincerely appreciate your review and appreciate you sharing your comments with us so we can provide more positive hotel experiences. Thank you very much!
Palatine, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

This hotel was great. It is in a perfect location and the room looked newly updated and modern. Would highly reccommend. Everything is within walking distance too. Would stay here again in a hearbeat and would reccommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Grab a drink at Angels & Kings
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HardRockMGR, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, February 16, 2012
It is wonderful to see that you enjoyed your weekend getaway at our hotel! We are thrilled that you enjoyed our atmosphere and recently renovated rooms, and it is so nice to see that you had a blast at Angels & Kings as well. Thank you very much for your review and recommendation!
Oshkosh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2012

I was supposed to be in Chicago for a Barry Manilow concert and had looked for a hotel within walking distance of The Chicago Theatre. I ended up booking a room at the Hard Rock on-line, a prepaid nonrefundable rate that was the best I found for the date I needed. Well, the week of the show, the Manilow concert got rescheduled to July due to medical reasons! So here I sat with a reservation and train tickets and no show to go to with my sister who ended up not wanting to go to Chicago and spend additional money she didn't have. I had called the hotel to see if there was any way I could get the reservation switched to July, realizing it was nonrefundable. Although it was against their policy, they were willing to assist me due to the circumstances. However, the July rate would have been close to $100 more than the February rate, and since a lot could happen between now and then, I chose not to accept their offer. I called them back to leave the message. Then within a few minutes, I received a call at home thanking me for keeping the existing reservation! Long story short, my husband came to Chicago with me instead of my sister, just for a quick overnight getaway, so as not to waste the prepaid room. Upon check in at rush hour traffic on Friday afternoon, we were upgraded to a "city view room" without asking and at no additional charge. The demeanor of the desk clerk was fantastic and he made us feel very welcome. It is a very historic, tall and narrow building, and our "city view" ended up being on the 18th floor with two windows looking directly into the windows of buildings across the streets, but the third corner window overlooked the Chicago river with a great view of the "corn cob" towers as well. I agree with some other reviews about the "darkness", but I think that is due to the primarily gray color scheme of the halls and rooms along with heavy drapes. However, there were plenty of lights in the room, a fantastic lounge chair with built in footstool and a brand new Rolling Stone magazine, as well as a huge bathroom with nice amenities. We thought about eating at the hotel, but unfortunately, the China restaurant had recently closed and we didn't have the opportunity to check out Angels and Kings, but the location of the hotel is great for walking the State Street shopping district or heading to Millennium Park or the "museum campus". There are certainly plenty of eating options within easy walking distance as well. We also didn't explore each floor of the hotel to check out the "rock memorabilia", but would if we stayed there again. (We were on the Tina Turner floor). I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to visitors looking for a location south of the river!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
HardRockMGR, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience! Although we are sorry that the concert was postponed, we are thrilled that you and your husband still enjoyed your trip to Chicago and that our staff was so accommodating and understanding of the situation. It is wonderful that you enjoyed your upgraded room type with enhanced city views, and we are thrilled that you were very comfortable in your room. We are really excited about our new restaurant concept, and we hope you will stay with us again so you can try it. We sincerely appreciate your review and recommendation!