“Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!”

Hard Rock Hotel Chicago
Ranked #114 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed January 8, 2008

Stayed for 3 nights for our anniversary. The desk clerk was great and since it was our anniversary, he gave us an upgrade...imagine our surprise when we got off on a floor with only 3 other rooms! Corner tower suite with a view of the river and Michigan ave. Beautiful! Cabs available right outside the lobby... Never paid more than $7 for a cab ride. If you go in Dec. you must go to the ChrisKindl Festival for strudel!

Stayed: December 2007

Reviewed January 2, 2008

Located in the distinctive and historic 1929 Carbide & Carbon building, the Hard Rock Hotel seems like a trendy boutique hotel that hasn't entirely kept up with the times. The boutique requisites are there: young, attractive staff; dark, atompspheric public areas and rooms; trendy furniture; chichi restaurant and bar area; stylish 24-hour fitness room; CD/DVD player in room; Aveda bath products; etc. But iPod docking stations are now de rigeur at boutique hotels, not CD players (no library of CDs/DVDs were available that I was aware of); much of the clientele hanging out in the lobby seemed to be young tourists and families with teens, rather than true jet-setters; the room was oppressively dark (don't try to thread a needle or read a newspaper); regular TV rather than LCD/plasma, and the sound system was mediocre. In the end it seems like the Hard Rock Hotel would have been hip a decade ago, now it seems a bit faded. That said, if one can get a good rate it might be worth the experience for young singles and couples, but not for older people or those with small children. Good location on Michigan Avenue, just south of the river. Convenient to Millennium Park and Macy's (former Marshall Field's) on State Street.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank canmark
Reviewed January 1, 2008

We stayed here for a night in June - got the room from Priceline for around $100 for the night.

We arrived really early in the morning to check in- 9am - and expected just to drop the bags and come back later. The porter said we should check with reception just in case there was anything free and he was more than happy to oblige - getting us a room straight away. This was a really nice touch.

The room was a good size and yes it was a little dark but no-where near as dark as some of these reviews had led me to expect. Free internet in the room was a nice touch as I had some work to do.

We used the conierge for some tickets to aa ball game and they were more than helpful and got us sorted.

All in all, a good location, nice room and good service. Great value!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Pres1
Reviewed December 27, 2007

We've always loved Hard Rock cafes, so when we learned there was a Hard Rock Hotel in Chicago, we knew we wanted to stay there! My husband & I went for a week, around my birthday, so the Hard Rock threw in a night for free!
It's in a really old building, but is decorated really modern & upscale. The room was super cool, with a great view of the Chicago River.
The employees really did treat us like rock stars; I'd highly recommend the Chicago Hard Rock Hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2007

I visit downtown Chicago about twice a year and this was my first stay at the Hard Rock. I've also stayed at the Swissotel, Hyatt and Allegro. I would say that the location of the Hard Rock beats the other three because of its central location on Michigan Ave. This is important because most people will do alot of walking. The downside to this is that you hear more street noise (particularly sirens) because of where the hotel sits. As far as overall comfort and amenities, I still prefer the Swiss. I had read many complaints about the room temperature at the Hard Rock being too warm, however I did not encounter this problem. Granted, it was very cold and snowy during my trip, but other people were unhappy with the warm temperature, even during the winter months. I thought the bed was comfortable and the linens and towels were good quality. In addition to a TV, the room had an added perk of a CD/DVD player. That was a nice touch that I wish other hotels would include. It would be nice if bath robes and an umbrella were also available. The room was a bit cramped for my taste, but it was clean. My biggest complaint had to be the POOR LIGHTING. I know they were probably going for a certain mood, but setting a mood should never take precendence over functionality. Even during the day with natural light coming in from the window, there still wasn't enough good light to put on make-up. At night, it's an even bigger issue. I got a rate of $93/night on Hotwire and for that price, the Hard Rock was fine. I would never pay full price to stay here. Hotwire rated it as a 4 star hotel...I'd probably give it 3 1/2 stars.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 10, 2007

As with all Hard Rock's, if you love rock & roll history and memorabilia, this is a wonderful place to stay. The older hotel adds a lot of charm, and the rooms are clean, quiet and very comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed December 6, 2007

Modern decor felt cold rather than luxurious.

The staff was very friendly to me.

Very clean but sparse room. Spacious and new bathroom. I had a great city view.

All in all, I wouldn't pay more than $150 a night to stay here.

Stayed: April 2007