“As Great As Everyone Else Says!”
Review of Chicago Greeter

Chicago Greeter
Ranked #4 of 186 Tours in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Chicago Greeter highlights more than 40 special interest areas and more than 25 neighborhoods for visitors to explore. Chicago Greeter is designed to match a friendly, enthusiastic, and city knowledgeable local with a visitor for a two - four hour FREE informal, insider orientation to Chicago's sights. Through the Chicago Greeter service, visitors meet with a greeter who takes them around the city and demonstrates its walk-ability and the user-friendliness of its public transportation system.
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Larry Byrne took us on our tour, as he specializes in Chicago history, Old Town, the Loop, and more. What an interesting, informative guy with a long Chicago family history, wow! I am going to skip details, as it's redundant to the other reviews. But I will add that Larry assured us we could take our time, take as many photos as we wanted, and we truly felt relaxed and un-rushed - thank you, Larry!

I can't believe this service is FREE, and that residents volunteer their time to do this just because they enjoy it. But sure enough, it's true. Larry is truly proud of his city and toured us with an attitude of delighted ownership as if he were a proud parent showing photos of his favorite child. From the reviews I read, this attitude is the norm for all the guides.

LIKED: We learned, did, and saw many things we would otherwise never have known about, including some insider details of some wonderful Chicago history, buildings and public art, and the stories behind them.

DISLIKED: Nothing, frankly - this tour was like walking around with a family friend. His love of Chicago is infectious.

WILL USE CHICAGO GREETERS AGAIN NEXT TIME FOR A DIFFERENT TOUR, FOR SURE!!

1  Thank TravelPhotoWriter

Reviewed July 10, 2010

Our Chicago Greeter totally made us believe the statement, "The best things in life are free". This was by far the highlight of our trip. Our Chicago Greeter was Lynn and she was just amazing. We biked all along Lake Michigan and saw the beauty of Chicago, the skyscrapers, the beaches, the people, and then went to the Zoo. Lynn even carried bottled water and cold wet cloths to cool ourselves off. She was so sensitive to our every need and we are truly grateful for the experience. I highly highly recommend Chicago Greeter to anyone and everyone!

1  Thank travellhar
Reviewed July 10, 2010

The Chicago Greeter program is a great way to explore Chicago. I was paired with a wonderful docent that took me to my desired neighborhood and had so much knowledge to pass on. She recommended a super local deli for lunch. We were intorduced to the L and buses. We used both after this. All this and it was a free service. Really fun!

1  Thank PSusee
Reviewed July 2, 2010

Outstanding program that is actually FREE. Totally unbelievable!

I found this while doing research on TripAdvisor and other sites and saw that this was a volunteer program where locals gave up their time to show visitors parts of Chicago that they were experts in. I noted that I wanted to learn about the Chicago Fire, street food and architecture/skyline, which is exactly what we got with our greeter.

We met up with our greeter at the Cultural Center. It was a rainy day which really got us down but our greeter was gung-ho about showing us around. We navigated the transit system with him and he showed us what we wanted to see. Tours generally can last up to 4 hours; our greeter had suggested showing us northern Chicago suburbs (where he lives) but we were also headed towards the Museum of Science and Industry so it would've been out of our way. We spent approximately 2 hours with our greeter touring the market, as well as chatting about Chicago history.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time with our greeter and would definitely recommend this service to any visitors. I am told that there are greeter programs in a lot of the big cities in US and wish I had known about it when we went to New Orleans!

Reviewed June 24, 2010

Highly recommend this FREE service, better than a paid tour of Chicago. I learnt so much and enjoyed an informative pleasant two hours with a delightful guide.

Been to Chicago Greeter? Share your experiences!