“Chicago greeter gave me a wonderful experience and the most unforgettable birthday tour !”
Review of Chicago Greeter

Chicago Greeter
Ranked #1 of 192 Tours in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Chicago Greeter highlights interest areas and more than 25 neighborhoods for visitors to explore. Chicago Greeter is designed to match a friendly, enthusiastic, and city knowledgeable local with a visitor for a two - four hour FREE informal, insider orientation to Chicago's sights. Through the Chicago Greeter service, visitors meet with a greeter who takes them around the city and demonstrates its walk-ability and the user-friendliness of its public transportation system.
Reviewed March 10, 2013

First of all, I couldn't believe that this free tour could give me such wonderful experience! My personal tour guide Ms. Barbara Wolf was very nice and thoughtful; at first we were scheduled to meet on tuesday (feb 26th), however due to snowstorm, Ms. Wolf suggested to change to Thursday (which was my birthday), we walked around the downtown area and had very good chat about cultural and history in Chicago.

We went to see different famous architects in down town areas, such the Picasso statue in Daley Plaza and we went to Wicker Park to see those little residential houses which are over 100 year history ! After that we went to have a great lunch in a very nice restaurant Forno, we talked a lot and shared different culture and our travelling experience, this the the best birthday activity for me and with Ms. Wolf; who had helped me to get to know more different sides of Chicago; I really enjoyed the tour and I will definitely introduce this to my friends and family who will visit Chicago.

Thank you so much again Ms. Wolf ~

Write a ReviewReviews (1,970)
All reviews
"the loop"
in 219 reviews
"free service"
in 73 reviews
"cultural center"
in 111 reviews
"highly recommend this service"
in 19 reviews
in 35 reviews
"great city"
in 35 reviews

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I am so pleased I decided to sign up for this tour despite initially not knowing what to expect. My greeter was Alan and he was great fun, informative and touched on all the things I was interested in and then some. I have been travelling for many years and have done countless walking tours but this is something else. You get to talk with a local who knows and cares about the city. Because of this you get to see a side to Chicago that the average tourist wouldn't experience. There is a no tipping policy which at first felt a bit strange but what it means is that you’ll find people volunteering their time who really want to be there. I guess they do it because they like people and love their city and it REALLY shows!

Transport was covered and at the end of the tour Alan dropped me at the Chicago History Museum and got me free entry. A perfect day and the perfect company. Thank you Alan! 

Reviewed March 1, 2013

With this totally FREE service you get a local, usually experienced, volunteer to show you a Chicago neighborhood. We selected Pullman, which was a 30 minute train ride (free for us!) from the Chicago Cultural Center. Our host, Chuck was gracious, generous, and informative, as he provided us historical and cultural information and gave us an architectural tour of the area. And yes, Chuck e-mailed us in advance, so we could share our desires ahead of time. Almost too good to be true, but there's a reason the reviews are universally strongly positive.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a great service that is very organized. Larry, my Chicago Greeter was very interested in showing us a little of Chicago and its history. I got a detailed email from Larry before the tour and he expressed he wanted to show us what we were most interested in. We met on a cold February morning and he started our tour with a conversation and some interesting Chicago history. He organized the tour so it was a equal indoor and outdoor. He took us on the bus up to the Gold Coast and gave us a great history.

This tour was definately a highlight of my trip to Chicago.

1  Thank libby4G
See more reviews
Reviewed February 23, 2013

This is an excellent service which I would recommend to anyone who is visiting the city. My wife and I were visiting Chicago for the first time and read about this on TripAdvisor. There were all sorts of things we wanted to see but didn't really know where to start. We e-mailed ahead of time and they promptly booked us in for the first morning we were there. Our tour guide, Nancy, e-mailed me a few days before our visit to introduce herself, tell us where to meet her and ask us about what we wanted to see. Nancy, by the way, is a fantastic guide, very personable and friendly, and was willing to walk around with us outside on a day that was on the colder side. Nancy started by explaining about the city's history, about how the Chicago Fire affected the city and how Chicago rebuilt from there. She showed us many of the great historical and architecturally beautiful buildings, such as the Cultural Centre, the Marshall Field Building, and many others. We visited Millenium Park, she showed us the shopping area, we rode the L train, and she explained many things along the way. When we mentioned to her that we'd be going to the Blackhawks game that night, she even told us the best way to get to and from the game, and told us of an absolutely great place to eat on the way there.

I cannot say enough good things about Nancy, and the entire Chicago Greeter program. It was a perfect way for us to become familiar and comfortable in the city, and I would urge anyone visiting the city to use this wonderful service. They are very proud of their city, and they should be.

Been to Chicago Greeter? Share your experiences!