“Best free tour ever”

Ranked #1 of 196 Tours in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Chicago Greeter highlights interest areas and more than 25 neighborhoods for visitors to explore. Chicago Greeter is designed to match a friendly, enthusiastic, and city knowledgeable local with a visitor for a two - four hour FREE informal, insider orientation to Chicago's sights. Through the Chicago Greeter service, visitors meet with a greeter who takes them around the city and demonstrates its walk-ability and the user-friendliness of its public transportation system.
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I wish I had known about the personalised 3-4 hour tour but I didn't do my research at least 10 days in advance. If you are prepared, book it - you can tailor it to any theme you like.
I did however do the instagreeter 1.5 hour of The Loop and it was fabulous. The guide was knowledgeable and thorough and had an 80% overlap with the Chicago Architecture Foundation's Historic Downtown tour which retails for $17. Do the CAF tour if you want detail. Honestly, the greeter's tour was more than sufficient for your average curious tourist. Can't recommend enough. I wish all cities had this service!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,002)
All reviews
"the loop"
in 220 reviews
"free service"
in 73 reviews
"cultural center"
in 113 reviews
"highly recommend this service"
in 19 reviews
in 35 reviews
"great city"
in 36 reviews

Reviewed November 8, 2012

i went to Chicago in 10/28/2012 and i booked my Chicago Greeter one month in advance. After two weeks, i received an e-mail from the system and from the greeter, Sue. In Chicago, everything worked out as the website described . My greeter was Sue and she was AWESOME. It was a very intimate and close experience, because she talked a lot about her view of the city and tried to fit all my initial requests filled during the greeter's subscription.

I highly recommend it to ANY person that goes to Chicago. Don't hesitate to book it! You'll like it!

Reviewed November 6, 2012

My advice would be, go for it! The Chicago Greeter Program is free and has a strict non-tipping policy. Through this and other feedback cycles, the organizers can make sure that all volunteer greeters do this out of genuine enjoyment. Through some questions, they try to pair you up with a volunteer who matches your interests and plans. My experience was very positive. Bernhard Schmitz took me on a general and architectural walking tour through the city center. I found him extremely knowledgeable. He made me see things I would not notice and also took me into many buildings I would not normally just enter as a tourist. I took his knowledge with me throughout the rest of my stay in Chicago, but also on my subsequent trip to New York.

I would therefore recommend anyone to book a greeter early in your stay. It is a wonderful experience and their wisdom will also make the rest of your trip more worthwhile.

1  Thank GielO
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Ann Marie M. was wonderful. She is very knowledgeable, I was amazed at the rich history of Chicago. She was very thoughtful as she attempted to show us things that my teenage girls would like. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit with a better understanding of how the city came about. We appreciated the rest of our visit as the girls would point out things and refer to Ann Marie on our consecutive trips to the city during this visit. Thank you so much!