“#1 Activity for Day 1”

Ranked #5 of 184 Tours in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Chicago Greeter highlights more than 40 special interest areas and more than 25 neighborhoods for visitors to explore. Chicago Greeter is designed to match a friendly, enthusiastic, and city knowledgeable local with a visitor for a two - four hour FREE informal, insider orientation to Chicago's sights. Through the Chicago Greeter service, visitors meet with a greeter who takes them around the city and demonstrates its walk-ability and the user-friendliness of its public transportation system.
Reviewed November 6, 2012

My advice would be, go for it! The Chicago Greeter Program is free and has a strict non-tipping policy. Through this and other feedback cycles, the organizers can make sure that all volunteer greeters do this out of genuine enjoyment. Through some questions, they try to pair you up with a volunteer who matches your interests and plans. My experience was very positive. Bernhard Schmitz took me on a general and architectural walking tour through the city center. I found him extremely knowledgeable. He made me see things I would not notice and also took me into many buildings I would not normally just enter as a tourist. I took his knowledge with me throughout the rest of my stay in Chicago, but also on my subsequent trip to New York.

I would therefore recommend anyone to book a greeter early in your stay. It is a wonderful experience and their wisdom will also make the rest of your trip more worthwhile.

1  Thank GielO

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Ann Marie M. was wonderful. She is very knowledgeable, I was amazed at the rich history of Chicago. She was very thoughtful as she attempted to show us things that my teenage girls would like. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit with a better understanding of how the city came about. We appreciated the rest of our visit as the girls would point out things and refer to Ann Marie on our consecutive trips to the city during this visit. Thank you so much!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had a wonderful Chicago Tour with Bernhard. We were interested in hearing stories about some of the famous characters from Chicago and he blended this in seamlessly with a walk round the Loop. Best of all was being taken into building foyers to admire the opulent interiors. I'd definitely recommend this as a fun way of getting your head round the city.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I had not visited Chicago but had heard that it was a great city with lots to see and do. We arranged for a Greeter and were fortunate enough to be matched up with Sue Murphy. She was very pleasant, knowledgeable, and took time with us. She even included a ride on the L. Sue was very well informed on the history and architecture of the buildings we went in to and she showed us things that we would never have known about if we had gone on our own. Sue knew her stuff! We returned to some of the places and thoroughly enjoyed visiting Chicago. Thank you Sue for a wonderful tour of historical Chicago.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I remembered the greeters from a French TV show where they were talking about this wonderful idea in the American big cities, mentioning that it has been adapted to France too. So I registered and got soon a confirmation and an email from Wally. Since I had mentioned that I had some problems with walking or standing too long (back pains), he had been informed about this and mentioned it in his mail. Wally is extremely instructed, cultivated, he had lived in Europe, knows Paris and Germany and talked about Chicago's history. He went with me to the United box office help me get my ticket for the Barbra Streisand concert for the same day. We also sat down for some minutes to have coffee together and so I can rest a bit. What a great idea of this volunteers doing such a wonderful job for foreign tourists who are pretty lost in Chicago when arriving, He also gave me a lot of hints about traveling, a jazz bar and the two towers worth visiting. Thank you Wally, I had a great time with you and hope you enjoyed the Swiss chocolate you deserved plenty. A small gift as thank you.

1  Thank Cristina S