“Greeter is a must as an introduction to Chicago”
Review of Chicago Greeter

Chicago Greeter
Ranked #4 of 186 Tours in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Chicago Greeter highlights more than 40 special interest areas and more than 25 neighborhoods for visitors to explore. Chicago Greeter is designed to match a friendly, enthusiastic, and city knowledgeable local with a visitor for a two - four hour FREE informal, insider orientation to Chicago's sights. Through the Chicago Greeter service, visitors meet with a greeter who takes them around the city and demonstrates its walk-ability and the user-friendliness of its public transportation system.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I had not visited Chicago but had heard that it was a great city with lots to see and do. We arranged for a Greeter and were fortunate enough to be matched up with Sue Murphy. She was very pleasant, knowledgeable, and took time with us. She even included a ride on the L. Sue was very well informed on the history and architecture of the buildings we went in to and she showed us things that we would never have known about if we had gone on our own. Sue knew her stuff! We returned to some of the places and thoroughly enjoyed visiting Chicago. Thank you Sue for a wonderful tour of historical Chicago.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I remembered the greeters from a French TV show where they were talking about this wonderful idea in the American big cities, mentioning that it has been adapted to France too. So I registered and got soon a confirmation and an email from Wally. Since I had mentioned that I had some problems with walking or standing too long (back pains), he had been informed about this and mentioned it in his mail. Wally is extremely instructed, cultivated, he had lived in Europe, knows Paris and Germany and talked about Chicago's history. He went with me to the United box office help me get my ticket for the Barbra Streisand concert for the same day. We also sat down for some minutes to have coffee together and so I can rest a bit. What a great idea of this volunteers doing such a wonderful job for foreign tourists who are pretty lost in Chicago when arriving, He also gave me a lot of hints about traveling, a jazz bar and the two towers worth visiting. Thank you Wally, I had a great time with you and hope you enjoyed the Swiss chocolate you deserved plenty. A small gift as thank you.

1  Thank Cristina S
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Susan was fabulous! What an interesting tour and engaging person to spend the afternoon with. Highly recommend this program, it brought Chicago alive for us!

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Tom was a wonderful tour guide, his passion and knowledge of the city and it's history made our visit memorable! Thank You! And Bravo to the city of Chicago for this great initiative, every city should have greeters!

Lucie, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

I took the bus to the south side of Chicago since it is too far to walk from the Cultural Center. The tour itself was a walking tour. It was very interesting and fun. Greeter was very knowledgeable about the area and many of the homes and buildings. Went inside the library, many architectural styles were pointed out on the buildings we passed, saw Obama's home, barbershop, restaurant he frequented, etc. Also saw F.L. Wright homes and takeoffs of his style. All this was free! It would have cost over $50 to get a tour like this without the Greeter program. Strongly suggest it!

1  Thank dottyb13

Been to Chicago Greeter? Share your experiences!