“Excellent choice for near MDW airport, a good room, and excellent value”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Midway Airport
Ranked #126 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Allentown (PA)
“Excellent choice for near MDW airport, a good room, and excellent value”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

• I stayed at the Fairfield Inn Chicago Midway Airport (6630 South Cicero Ave) for one night before a morning flight
• It is located about one mile from Chicago Midway airport (MDW) in a complex dedicated to airport hotels including Marriott, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Sleep Inn, and Hampton Inn
• Buses run every (20) minutes to/from the complex and MDW airport – the buses serve the entire complex of hotels, they are not dedicated to any single hotel
• There is a TGI Fridays restaurant located in the middle of the complex a short walk from any of the hotels in the complex
• The Fairfield Inn was clean, the room & furnishings in good physical shape, quiet, and comfortable
• There is a pool room with hot tub just off the lobby - I did not use it, but it looked clean and in good condition
• A continental breakfast is served in the lobby area which I did not utilize
• Free WIFI access is provided – I had no problem connecting to both my laptop and I-phone
• There is a charge for parking if you have a car
• I did have an issue with a vending machine that did not register money deposited - the front desk refunded the money without any problem
• This Fairfield Inn and the adjacent Sleep Inn typically have the lowest prices of any of the hotels in this MDW airport complex. I paid $129 per night, the others (excluding the Sleep Inn) are typically in the $189 (or more) range during the weekday
• If you want to be near MDW airport, a good room, and excellent value without “full service frills”, this is an excellent choice

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 25, 2012

This is no doubt convenient to midway. The breakfast buffet left a lot to be desired. The room felt old. The water pressure was non-existent. But then for the area it's in, I'm not sure you are going to find anything better.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
FairfieldInnMidway, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Midway Airport, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us at the Fairfield Inn, Chicago-Midway. We appreciate you commenting on your experience. Please accept my sincere apologies that not everything was up to standards.
I hope you would consider giving us another opportunity and notify me when you are coming. I would be more than happy to ensure that you have a great room and your stay is much better one.
I know that given another opportunity we will surely exceed your expectations! If there is absolutely anything that I can do for you regarding your future accommodations please do not hesitate to contact me personally!

Thank you for choosing Fairfield Inn and Suites!

Elena Nikolova
California
Reviewed March 24, 2012

SUPERFLUSH EXPLANATION AT THE END, BUT IMPORTANT!

The staff at this hotel, especially at the reception is super friendly and customer service oriented. The lobby area is adequate, clean.
Hotel itself and rooms are just that, the lower end of the Marriott brand. Hotel must be about 25 years old and it is beginning to show in the hallways and rooms. Hotel is used by a lot of locals. No real business center, just a desktop and printer in front of the lobby. Lobby is not inviting, so I did not try the free breakfast.

Walls are thin as you can hear alarms, music in adjacent rooms.

HERE IS THE SUPERFLUSH:
This hotel has water saving devices installed in the tanks of thew toilets. Every time anyone flushes a toilet, ot takes about 30 full seconds to flush and makes a loud noise similar to AIRPLANE TOILETS. That is ok, if you ar econcerned about the environment. However, every time the people in the adjacent rooms flush, you can hear it.
DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU ARE A LIGHT SLEEPER.

I took precious time to write this review to help you make a better informed decision before booking your next stay. PLEASE take 3 seconds to indicate if this review was helpful. It would help me to know.

Thanks!

Room Tip: According to housekeeping, corner rooms on any floor are the quietest + Keep your bathroom door clos...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank lalotp
FairfieldInnMidway, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Midway Airport, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Thank you so much for commenting on your stay with us. I would like to take the time to sincerely apologize that you had to encounter these experiences. The Fairfield Inn and Suites pride itself on being a great facility and I am truly sorry for your room not being up to the standards you would expect.
Please consider giving us another opportunity and notify me when you are coming. I would be more than happy to ensure that you have a great room and your stay is much better one.

Thank you for choosing Fairfield Inn and Suites!

Elena Nikolova
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I enjoy my stay employee;s very professional I love my room layout.
And the breakfast was GOOD love the waffel got bto come back and have breakfast.
Housekeeper was very nice and professsional
I have to give u 5 star. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Pleasant Hill, California
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We were scheduled for a late arrival at Midway Airport and needed a place for one night. I was not expecting much but was pleasantly surprised by what this little Inn had to offer! From checking in, through breakfast to check-out, every employee was very friendly and courteous. I'm not talking about the kind of staged friendliness that comes from regimental "customer service training." This was genuine and natural stuff -and we really appreciated it!

Our room really was a suite. Adequate bathroom, nice sitting room and a very comfortable bed in the bedroom. And no airport noise!

The continental breakfast was pretty standard but had more choices and was better than most places.

All in all, it was perfect for our 12 hour stay!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank YayoNorCal
California
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I was stuck in Chicago because of bad weather, but this is a good place to stay, right near the airport. There is a free shuttle to/from Midway every 20 minutes (also goes to other nearby hotels). The room was clean and comfortable, and the staff was very pleasant. You can get room service from the TGI Fridays nearby, and the dinner was excellent. Free wireless! Continental breakfast was included. The only problem for me was that the room heater was quite noisy, and kept turning on and off all night. I would stay here again if I were passing through Midway.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JaneT013
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Breakfast was great: real oatmeal, several choices of cold cereal, boiled eggs, bagels, muffins, biscuit-egg-ham sandwiches, yogurt, juice, coffee, hot water/tea bags, waffles, apples, bananas.

When I booked the room, the web site didn't mention a fitness center, but there was a small one, with a stairmaster, a treadmill, and an exercise bike. There was a computer and printer in the lobby, and free wi-fi (log in with your name each day and start a 24-hour timer.) They also offered to print a boarding pass and slip it under your door the morning of your departure. There was a pile of free USA Today newspapers at the desk each morning, and warm cookies at some point in the afternoon.

The shuttle to Midway is shared among a half dozen hotels located adjacent to one another. In one direction, it picks up near one of the baggage claim stations; in the other direction, it drops you off at the checkin area for your particular airline. While it runs 24x7,they advised us to phone the hotel to trigger it. The shuttle does not go to the Orange Line Midway "el" station per se, but there's a (longish) indoor walking corridor between the Midway terminal and that station.

We were able to visit a variety of Chicago attractions by public transit. The 54B bus stops on Cicero Ave near 65th St, just outside the hotel complex, and runs to the Orange Line Midway station (and beyond.) The Orange Line takes you to the Loop (shopping, Art Institute.) The 55 bus takes you (slowly) from the Orange Line Midway station to the Museum of Science and Industry, the Hyde Park area, U of Chicago, and the Frank Lloyd Wright Robie house. By transferring from 54B to 54 to the Green Line, you can even get to Oak Park where the Frank Lloyd Wright home and studio are located. I bought a CTA pass, good for one person for 72 hours from first use on buses and the "el" (but not on Metra trains, which are not CTA); I bought mine from a machine at the Amtrak station, but they're also sold at CVS and Walgreens. Employees and passengers alike were helpful when I had questions about public transit, and it was a relief not to deal with traffic, unfamiliar streets, parking, and gas. It was also cheap! The downside, of course, is that it takes longer. However, the trains and buses I mentioned above run so often and are so well coordinated that I spent very little time waiting to get on; the extra time was due mostly to frequent stops on the buses. There's a printable route guide on the CTA web site, but I found I needed to use Google maps (clicking on the "public transit" icon) to figure out which buses and trains to take and when they arrived.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank bicycledude
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicago
Holiday Inn Express Chicago-Midway Airport
Sleep Inn Midway Airport
#4 of 5 in Bedford Park
Hampton Inn Chicago-Midway Airport
Holiday Inn Chicago - Midway Airport

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Midway Airport? Share your experiences!