This hotel is in a fairly decent location, basically in Greektown with restaurants and shops nearby. You are right by the highway, which does cause some noise though my group didn't find it unbearable. Being near the highway made it convenient for us driving into Chicago. The hotel is then about 5-6 blocks from an El train Blue Line stop into the Loop proper to go anywhere else in Chicago. We never felt unsafe in Greektown or on the train even with late night walking, at least in the areas we were in. Indeed, even late at night there seemed to be enough people around to not feel isolated. FInally, it is possible to walk to the Loop, though it's probably an easy mile to the Loop. It's probably two miles to Michigan Mile shopping
The room is perhaps a little small, but not horribly so and pretty standard for downtown hotels. You also do get a balcony to look out from. They had a fairly clever way of dealing with a bathroom door that would otherwise take up space and be awkward to open and close out - they made the door a sliding door! Decor and amenities were nice and the bed was newer/comfortable. Maybe the only things I didn't care for is in regard to decor is: 1) there are halogen lights over the bed with switches on the wall (in addition to other lamps though you'd have to get out of bed to turn those on/off). These lights were either on or off - and pretty bright when on, and 2) the thermostat is digital and had a tendency to blink brightly on and off when other lights were turned out. The second night we took a cap and hung it on the thermostat to keep the room dark (though it didn't bother me).
Staff was generally pretty pleasant and helpful, though the valet and night security was more so than the Front Desk themselves. Our requests were pretty quickly handled and that helped make for a good stay.
Downsides include the second night we stayed there was a large group of handicap people in the hotel. This, of course, wasn't a problem just because they were handicapped but did cause delays on the elevators. I'm not sure, however, what could've been done for the guests - both connected to the group and not. There are no guest rooms on the first floor but perhaps the hotel could have scheduled different elevator service?
Parking is expensive at $35/night, though it's the same price for valet or regular (other than tip, I suppose). Reading from other reviews, if/when I return I would consider looking for nearby options that are relatively less expensive. My guess is the hotel is taking advantage of people willing to pay for convenience.
The hotel's other amenities - restaurant, business center, exercise room, etc. are all ones I cannot comment on as we didn't use them.
Overall, I would stay again if in the area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Crowne Plaza West Loop. Crowne Plaza West Loop, the closest hotel to the United Center, is a winning choice for your lodging needs. Nestled in the shadow of the Willis Tower, the Crowne Plaza West Loop is centrally located to many of Chicago's finest attractions. Just blocks from the Loop, and Michigan Ave./Magnificent Mile shopping, Adler Planetarium, Art Institute of Chicago and Navy Pier are located a short distance away. From its brilliantly designed architecture, sleek modern interiors, masterfully appointed guest rooms and numerous amenities, the Crowne Plaza West Loop is the perfect choice for the discerning traveler. Experience our highly acclaimed restaurant Dine, with eclectic cuisine to fit every palate served in a charming retro diner atmosphere with an upbeat contemporary style. Our event space and outstanding service make Crowne Plaza West Loop The Place to Meet. Our Crowne Meetings Director coordinates every detail of your event, making us the favorite for wedding, conference, banquet and meeting planners. The Crowne Plaza West Loop is everything you expect, and much more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Crowne Plaza Chicago West Loop reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Chicago - The Metro Hotel Chicago
- Chicago Crowne Plaza
- Crowne Plaza Chicago Metro