“Pretty decent hotel, would stay again!”

Crowne Plaza Chicago West Loop
Ranked #94 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed September 9, 2007

This hotel is in a fairly decent location, basically in Greektown with restaurants and shops nearby. You are right by the highway, which does cause some noise though my group didn't find it unbearable. Being near the highway made it convenient for us driving into Chicago. The hotel is then about 5-6 blocks from an El train Blue Line stop into the Loop proper to go anywhere else in Chicago. We never felt unsafe in Greektown or on the train even with late night walking, at least in the areas we were in. Indeed, even late at night there seemed to be enough people around to not feel isolated. FInally, it is possible to walk to the Loop, though it's probably an easy mile to the Loop. It's probably two miles to Michigan Mile shopping

The room is perhaps a little small, but not horribly so and pretty standard for downtown hotels. You also do get a balcony to look out from. They had a fairly clever way of dealing with a bathroom door that would otherwise take up space and be awkward to open and close out - they made the door a sliding door! Decor and amenities were nice and the bed was newer/comfortable. Maybe the only things I didn't care for is in regard to decor is: 1) there are halogen lights over the bed with switches on the wall (in addition to other lamps though you'd have to get out of bed to turn those on/off). These lights were either on or off - and pretty bright when on, and 2) the thermostat is digital and had a tendency to blink brightly on and off when other lights were turned out. The second night we took a cap and hung it on the thermostat to keep the room dark (though it didn't bother me).

Staff was generally pretty pleasant and helpful, though the valet and night security was more so than the Front Desk themselves. Our requests were pretty quickly handled and that helped make for a good stay.

Downsides include the second night we stayed there was a large group of handicap people in the hotel. This, of course, wasn't a problem just because they were handicapped but did cause delays on the elevators. I'm not sure, however, what could've been done for the guests - both connected to the group and not. There are no guest rooms on the first floor but perhaps the hotel could have scheduled different elevator service?

Parking is expensive at $35/night, though it's the same price for valet or regular (other than tip, I suppose). Reading from other reviews, if/when I return I would consider looking for nearby options that are relatively less expensive. My guess is the hotel is taking advantage of people willing to pay for convenience.

The hotel's other amenities - restaurant, business center, exercise room, etc. are all ones I cannot comment on as we didn't use them.

Overall, I would stay again if in the area.

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank wouldbeworldtraveler

Reviewed August 25, 2007

We were trying to get home, and having a horrid day thanks to the air lines. After a nightmare that ended in being bump off the last flight before home, the Crown Plaza was where we were put up for the night.

First the shuttle service to and from the airport is great. They have friendly helpful drivers. The bus is clean and comfortable. They make runs back and forth to the airport 24 hours a day at least every half hour.

The people at the front desk checked us in very quickly. They knew of course that we had been bumped from our flight and not planning on staying there, and so offered all the help they could. My cell phone had almost died, and I had no way of re-charge it, so one the lady behind the desk gave me her phone charger to use until I had my phone back up.

Our room on the fifth floor was lovely. There wasn't anything for a view, but at that point in my day all I wanted was long hot shower and a good night’s sleep. Speaking of which, the bed I believe must be fairly new and they were so very comfortable. Four fluffy pillows on each bed [we had room with two doubles], and wrap up in warmth white comforters. In the bath I found the biggest towels I’ve ever seen in a hotel. You could easily wrap them around with some left over. Ahh…

All of this lead to good night rest and a much better look out on life at five the next morning when we had to get up to go back to airport. I loved the Crown Plaza.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank vtmom13
Reviewed August 17, 2007

The rooms in the hotel are beautiful. Really modern and fabulous decorating. We stayed for 3 nights. However, at night, the noise coming in through the air-conditoner is terrible. You hear all the noises of the city. The hotel is located beside a highway. It was so noisy, we had 3 very poor nights sleep. The management obviously didn't soundproof the rooms at all.
It's a beautiful hotel, but there is a really unusual problem with outside noise. (We were on the 8th floor) I wouldn't stay here again for this reason.

• Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank mary092
Reviewed August 13, 2007

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel was very clean and the staff extremely friendly. The location was perfect for us to go to Lincoln Park, as well as the restaurants that are popular such as Rainforest Cafe, Hardrock Cafe, Ed Debevics and Gino's East. The only negative was parking which cost $35/night, but there was parking available across the Expressway for $20/night. We were very happy to have Dominic's and Walgreen's across the street for last minute items as well as groceries.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank LouLou039
Reviewed August 4, 2007

Stayed at this hotel for a Cubs game, and Milwaukee day trip and had a fantastic stay. The aneminities were amazing, the rooms were very cozy... the bar/restaraunt in the lobby was an extremely good time.

Giordanos and Greek Town is within walking distance and there is a walgreens and dominicks right across the street.

You are going to have to take a cab to certain areas of the city but it is definitly one of the nicer, laidback establishments in chicago!!! highly recomended and am wiling to be contacted for any other info.

• Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank kushmoney
Reviewed July 10, 2007

I stayed 5 nights at the Crowne Plaza Chicago Metro, June 12 to June 17, 2007.

I stayed in a standard room, non smoking with 2 queen size beds.

It was a very nice room. It was clean, fresh, had a safe, had a comfortable bed, it was large enough for me, and it had a large bathroom.

It had a nice flat screen TV and about 30 channels.

My room was quiet and I could not here much of other guest during my stay at the Crowne Plaza Chicago Metro.

It was good water pressure in the shower and it was 6 fast elevators, never any wait for the elevators.

The air condition was a little loud, but was efficient making the room comfortable.

It is just a few blocks to Greek Town of Chicago, and I went several times to Pegasus for both lunch and dinner.

Behind the hotel it is a Walgreens and in front of the hotel there is a Dominick's grocery store, there you could buy water/sodas/ liquor/beer, fruits and sandwiches, very convenient.

I used the business centre and Internet access was $5 for 30min. A little expensive but I was pleased with the service at the business centre.

I was very pleased with my stay at Crowne Plaza Chicago Metro, and I would not mind staying at Crowne Plaza Chicago Metro the next time I am going to Chicago.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
7  Thank sune
Reviewed July 10, 2007

My fiance and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Metro and was amazed. We came onto Trip Advisor before booking the reservation and saw that the hotel was newly renovated and had updated amenities. We were planning on attending the Taste of Chicago and wanted something that was within walking distance, but was not extremely expensive.

We arrived from South Bend, Indiana on the South Shore train at their Millenium station on Randolph & Michigan. We walked about 12-15 blocks to the hotel and it was not a bad walk at all. We didn't want to pay to $2 to get on a bus to the hotel when we were planning on getting the All day pass once we got there for $5. There was lots to see and additional people walking as well so we felt safe.

When we arrived we did not wait in a long line and was given our keys within 10 minutes. The room was beautiful. Flat screen plasma tvs, opaque window doors to the bathroom, dimming lights...it was very trendy as a whole. The room was a little small, but for 2 people it was just fine. We were directed by concierge to Dominick's (literally across Madison street) to go and pick up a $5 All Day pass for the buses that you can use for 24 hours after you swipe it for the first time. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!! The different buses took us up and down Madison, Michigan, to Grant Park, and to Navy Pier. Buses ran about every 10 mins, which isn't bad. The parking lot next door to the hotel is a great way for friends to park that is cheaper than the hotel parking itself if there are certain events that friends or even you need parking. It is a safe establishment.

As a whole our experience was wonderful and made easy. I recommend this hotel to anyone, especially anyone under the age of 30 (since it is such a trendy "IKEA inspired" hotel.) But be warned, when they say it is located in the Loop...it is far west loop.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple