“Very nice hotel.”

Ranked #94 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Lafayette, IN
“Very nice hotel.”
Reviewed November 19, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Crowne Plaza Metro hotel the Chicago Marathon weekend (Oct 6-7, 2007) and loved our stay. I booked through a travel company for a package deal - marathon entry and hotel. It was not my first pick because of the location being west of highway 94, but it was all that was available and it turned out great. Taxi's were always available outside the hotel. We spent $35 on taxi's in two days, which normally we would spend only $10 on a Visitors CTA pass.

The hotel is located right off the highway which was super convenient. Despite being next to the highway, I found the room was quiet. In fact, it's quieter than staying in the loop. Any other hotel I have stayed at in Chicago I've been woken up to sirens in the middle of the night, but not here. The highway was just a dull hum. Plus I never heard a door slam, another TV, phone or person, nothing. I never ran into anyone in the hallway. It is quiet.

Walgreens drug store and Dominics grocery store were right next door. Greektown was a great place to eat and only a two block walk.

The room was very nice and recently updated as everything in it seemed new. There's a nice size bathroom (good water pressure) and balcony. Loved the beds, pillows, and linens - very comfortable. At $252/night we about got what we paid for. For that price and location, breakfast should have been included and there should have been robes, slippers, chocolates & wine. Which is what you get for that price in NYC at the Fitzpatrick Hotel.

The only negatives were: 1. overnight parking cost of $35/night. 2. the doorman told us he was required to take our bags up, which I thought was a lie to get a tip. Even if it is a rule, I feel we are capable of carrying our own bags (my husband is built like a linebacker and I'm a marathon runner). 3. we ordered dinner in from a local Italian restaurant and it was very difficult to eat in the room without a table. 4. I didn't like that they made a carbon copy of my credit card. When I asked about it, the desk clerk said it would go up to accounting. I asked for how long, and he of course didn't have the answer to that and I didn't want to argue about it. I didn't think anyone made carbon copies any more.

We liked our stay. It really was comfortable and enjoyable.

• Liked — Bed and linens
  • Disliked — Cost of parking
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dan-Sandy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Niles, Ohio
Reviewed November 13, 2007

The hotel itself is pretty nice for an inner-city hotel. The staff is polite, although rushed. Rooms are smaller than average, probably due to being in the city.

My biggest complaint is that you pay a substantial amount for the room, then have to pay another $35 to be able to park there overnight! Are you SERIOUS?!?

I'm more of a country type of person, so this was not a pleasant experience for me at all. I've stayed at hotels out away from the city which had a much more relaxed atmosphere. This was way too "snobby" for me. I definitely won't be back.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price, parking.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank 11thPlague
CA
Reviewed October 29, 2007

They had my credit card on file from a previous stay and illegally charged it at a later date (months later) and will not remove the charges. The general manager Lenard is rude and doesn't not handle customers very well. I would not ever give this hotel your credit card information.

• Stayed October 2007
3 Thank ST33117
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed October 25, 2007

I've stayed at this property before Crowne Plaza refurbished. It is a
nice upgrade. The location is several blocks west of the loop and just at the north end of Greektown. Good food opportunities within the loop and in greektown, A Dominicks 24hour grocery store within the block (Starbucks inside). Rooms on the large side, comfortable and adequate. Immediate neighboorhood is a bit shabby, but didn't seem dangerous. We walk to the opera from here.

• Liked — location and nearby grocery
  • Disliked — location - several blocks from the El
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mbp00
San Francisco
Reviewed October 8, 2007

I've stayed here a few times. Interior lobby area is chic and stylish as are the rooms which are clean and with very comfortable beds. Parking is expensive ($35 a night!), but I'll give you a tip - park one block down next to the Walgreens for $20 for overnight parking (no in-and-out but you can sometimes negotiate that with the attendant and have even got a reduced rate for multiple nights). I find the staff friendly and I haven't been bothered by the freeway noise as mentioned here. All rooms do have little balconies. A ten-block walk down Madison will take you to State street where the theaters and Macy's (formerly Marshall Fields), Filene's Basement, H&M, and other stores are(and the great restaurant in the Burnham Hotel). The restaurant at the CP is adequate, kind of comfort, diner food; had a great glass of wine. It's about an $8 cab ride or so to the heart of the Magnificent Mile.

• Liked — Chic boutique-style hotel, nice decor, clean.
  • Disliked — $35 parking; not iin heart of downtown.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
Boston
Reviewed October 3, 2007

What a fantastic hotel. Recently built and has all the amenities of an upscale hotel for a great price. Even the soap and the shower head were stellar. Front desk attendants were incredibly helpful in locating a place to eat after hours and housekeeping staff was friendly and impeccable with their detail. The entire room was clean and the bed was impossible to get of in the morning - so comfortable. Flat screen TV and cordless phone in room along with free high-speed internet access. In downtown Chicago in Greek town.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank DFC12481
Morpeth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2007

Stayed Saturday, Sunday, 15th/16th September.
First time in Chicago, a great city.
This hotel location is a bit out of the main city area and right next to the highway. Extremely noisy. Open your window at your peril.
I have to say that the only decent staff members I came across were Mitchell the concierge and Paul the bartender who were nice and very helpful.
Front desk staff were pretty miserable and the porters have a pretty crafty tip scheme going on. When we arrived the porter lifted our cases out of the cab and put them on his trolley to take up to our room.
When we checked in and turned around he had been replaced by someone else. Two tips in five minutes !!!. very sharp guys.
But my main gripe was with Jose the duty manager and the car parking guys on the Saturday evening. We had left the hotel in the late afternnon to visit some elderly old friends who live out of town and who we hadn't seen for many years.
We had a real nice evening with them and they drove us back to the hotel and we asked them to drop in for a few minutes for quick nightcap On entering the hotel car park there was a sign stating 'Valet Parking Only.
My friend gave his car to the valet and we went insidefor a drink. After around 40 minutes they came to leave and when he went to get his car he was asked if he had paid his $10 fee to the front desk. He pleaded ignorance and he didnt know about a fee.
It would seem that there is a sign stating the charges but this is very 'conveniently' slightly angled facing in the same direction/away from drivers entering the car park and you would need to look backwards to see it. So you just get out and leave your car and you are caught hook line and sinker. The drivers certainly dont tell you anything about it. (Naughty)
I said that I was resident and that they had only been there a very short time.
I went into the hotel but had to cough up $10 before they would get him his car. Absolutely Shocking !!!
This really upset my old friends and ruined our evening.
Once they left I went to the front desk and spoke to the lady on duty. She stated that there was nothing she could do. I asked for the Duty Manager who was a guy called Jose.
I explained the positionand suggested he refund the $10 due the our misunderstanding and the way thngs had been done. He said he couldn't and when I pressed the point he said quite strongly that he wouldn't refund it. I then said that we may consider checking out but he couldnt give a damn about that either. His attitude was obnoxious, brusque and downright cocky and not what I would expect from someone in his position.
When I completed my comments card on checking out the guy on the desk said that the fee should really have been waived.
It transpires that the hotel car park where the main portico stands does not belong to the hotel which I find very strange. Apparantly there is a private company who own it and make the charges.It is $35 to park overnight. That's one whole lotta cash for a few days.
So will we stay hear again NO WAY. This hotel needs to give most staff some lessons in customer manners and service.
The car park fees should be clearly displayed at the entrance and not craftily angled so that they are very difficult to see.

• Liked — Concierge
  • Disliked — Parking, Duty Manager, General Staff Attitude, Location.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family