“Peaceful, relaxing and a wonderful breakfast”

Benedictine Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #11 of 22 Chicago B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 12, 2010

Stayed here with my boyfriend and his family for one night and had a wonderful stay. It was his family's first time staying in a bed and breakfast and they loved it! We had the three bedroom upper apartment, which was very spacious and comfortable. The location was perfect and it was easy to get to downtown. The monks that checked us in were great and the breakfast was my favorite (eggs benedict with homemade English muffins plus fresh fruit)!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
5  Thank ptownchick

Reviewed April 28, 2009

If you would like to avoid the hustle and hastle of a big city hotel the Benedictine Bed and Breakfast is for you. The B&B is just a block from Bridgeport coffee, CVS pharmacy and pizza joints. Bridgeport Coffee was a great place to get coffee, listen to live music, and pick up tips from the locals. tThe B&B is three blocks from the bus, then a short bus ride to the orange line then on into the loop. I enjoyed walking around the Bridgeport neighborhood and getting a real flavor of life in the city. The monks were wonderful and stocked our fridge for the self catering breakfast. The apartment was like staying at grandma's, plenty of room to spread out. I used the second bedroom to spread out the luggage.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Pissaro
Reviewed October 26, 2008

My family stayed at the Garden House accommodation. It is located in a separate building from the church just across the street and appears to be a dwelling built in the early 1900's so has nice high ceilings but not a very modernized feel to it. The flat was a relatively roomy with 2 very small bedrooms and a double sofa bed in the living room with one bathroom, separate living and dining area. Max could sleep is 5 people. The kitchen had all the basic amenities including dishes etc. The flat was relatively clean if one didn't look too closely. Air conditioner window units were helpful. Calling this a garden unit is a bit of a stretch...yes there was an untended vegetable garden with lots of weeds but no flowers. Enough blankets, sheets, towels were provided at the beginning of our one week stay. No cleaning or replenishing of supplies took place after the first day except for some breakfast items which were in short supply and were requested by us. In fact mid week we just purchased a few items on our own for speed and convenience. Parking was free. The one major draw back is the neighborhood which is a very working class, blue collar hispanic residential area. No real shops or restaurants one could comfortably walk to. China town was a short 5 minute drive. The monks were very friendly and courteous on the first day but never really saw them after that. I think next visit to Chicago I would prefer to stay downtown instead of spending the 15 minute drive which this location is. The unit reminds me of a rustic cottage.

Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank nuttymom
Reviewed July 26, 2008

I stayed in the garden apartment which can sleep comfortably up to 5 people. The neighbourhood is distinctly blue collar but quite safe, even at night. There is a cafe nearby, but dining opportunities are pretty limited, apart from Macs, a chinese takeaway, pizza takeaway, Subway and a mexican restaruant futher down. Getting to dwontown is a cinch; all you have to do is walk a couple of couple blocks to Halsted St and catch a number 8 bus which brings you to the Orange line station where you connect to the El. THis obviously means that you can get to and from both airports by public transportation quite easily. The apartment itself is very well furnished and clean. The garden apratment gets you 2 bedrooms, a fully equipped kitchen, a dining room, a living room with a pull out sofa. As pointed out in the other reviews there is a faint odour of gas unpon entry but it doesn't linger. The fridge is well stocked but there was no cereals provided. I stayed 5 days and the fridge was restocked after 3 days. The main bedroom has a double bed but it may be a little small to sleep two comfortably in my opinion. The apartment is fully airconditioned but the unit in the bedroom is quite noisy. The bathroom is clean and toiletries various hotel establishments are provided. In the linving room there is a TV and a DVD player. As I stayed 5 nights I got a discount on the rate which was great. ON Sunday morning you can attend mass which I did and it was a beautiful experience , I particularly enjoyed the gregorian chants. A point to note is that , unlike the other apratment St Joseph's Loft, breakfast here is a self catered affair, so do not expect a piping hot cooked breakfast and fresh muffins to appear at your doorstep. I didn't really mind as it meant that I could wake up whenever I wanted and prepare my own breakfast. Overall I think it was a bargain when compared to what you would pay for a hotel room downtown. You could argue that its location was a big minus but given the excellent transportation links it was but a minor inconvenience, easily outweighed by the considerable savings by staying here, particularly if you are a small group staying together.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
4  Thank unfrequentflyer
Reviewed January 22, 2008

Two types of accommodation are available, the Garden House and the Loft Apartment, we chose the Loft Apartment. It was huge and consisted of 2 double bedrooms, lounge, dining room, kitchen, bathroom (toiletries provided) and was decorated in a shabby chic kind of style. All of the rooms were a good size and well heated. Private parking was available to us at the rear of the Monastery and the entrance ot the apartment was through a locked gate and in to the building. There are 35 steps to the apartment, not so good if you are laden down with luggage but the Monks are more than happy to help infact, they cannot do enough to make your stay even more comfortable and certainly do not comprehend the word 'small'. Breakfast was delivered between 8 - 8:30am each morning and was magnificent. It was left on a table on the stairs without any intrusion infact during our stay, I did not hear them once. What we did hear was the fabulous sound of the Monks in prayer very early morning.

This is a 'working' Monastery with the bed and breakfast helping towards their income. They are not there to entertain, they go about their business in the normal manner whilst making you feel very welcome and will always ask if everything is to your satisfaction should you see them at any stage.

Whilst we tried to check in during the times specified, we couldn't actually get an answer but after about 45 minutes we did manage to make contract with one of the Brothers. The apartment was also advertised as having bathrobes but we couldn't find any.

For a stay with a difference, this is the accommodation to book. After a very busy day it is a lovely place to return to - relaxing and safe. I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else in Chicago.

• Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank Worldglobetrotters
Reviewed January 11, 2008

Loved the communication from this place: you reserve your stay online, they email and mail you confirmation and then mail the receipt as well.

The accommodations were pleasant. Large, spacious bottom floor apartment (we stayed in the Garden House) with self-catered options. The monks were very generous in the food they left and shopped specifically for a vegan diet.

Not luxurious by any means, but more like staying with family (without having the family around). About 1 1/4 mile from the train station, which is one stop from the Roosevelt (bottom of the loop) so very convenient. Free parking huge plus in Chicago. CTA station also has parking and if you look in the neighboring abandoned lot there's always a space for free.

An earlier reviewer noted an odd smell (gas?) which is still there, but not major. Also, the kitchen has recently been renovated and looks fantastic. Their website includes (currently) pictures of only the upstairs apartment so just be aware that they are different.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tasloi
Reviewed November 7, 2007

I guess I expected some insight into the lives of the monks living there. What I got was an empty office upon arrival even though we arrived at one of the two briefly alotted times. We were put in the "Garden House" which looks so cute in photos, but really isn't. The "garden" was a weed bed. The rooms were in the lower level of a very old house which had some renovations. However, it smelled of natural gas at the doorway. The bathroom amenities offered partially used sample toiletries collected from various hotels. The in-window air-conditioning units let in every bit of outside noise and they made me nervous as this was not the sunny-side of town. We were awakened by very loud upstairs guests around 7 am. The brother who showed us to our room was nice enough, but if you are looking for some awesome, unique experience, you won't get it here.

Stayed: September 2007