“Make an evening of it!”
Review of Second City

Second City
Ranked #10 of 574 Nightlife in Chicago
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Second City is the world's premiere comedy theatre offering the best in Chicago-style sketch and improv comedy every night of the week and has launched the careers of Tina Fey, Bill Murray, Stephen Colbert, Steve Carell and many, many others. First, let’s define a few terms so we’re all on the same page. Sketch comedy is scripted, well-rehearsed scenes that we never, ever call “skits.” (And most of us are mighty touchy about that one. Improv is the unscripted, spontaneous, collaborative art form Second City is famous for. Stand-Up is the classic one-comic-on-stage-with-a-mic-telling-jokes routine. Think Jerry Seinfeld against a brick wall. Typically, any stand-up performances at Second City happen in the UP Comedy Club. A classic Second City revue is made up of original sketches and songs sprinkled with a healthy dose of our world-famous improv. Second City productions are fully written and rehearsed, but no two shows are ever the same.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I ordered tickets online a week before the show, and it was a very easy process. A couple of days before the show I had to call the box office to set up dinner and was very pleased with the help I got.

We chose to eat at one of Second City's partner restaurants, Bistrot Margot. Dinner was delicious and enjoyable, but the big bonus came when we got to the Second City venue. By going this route we also enjoyed the benefit of having one of the best seats in the house--the front row of the raised platform--so the viewing was easy.

The service staff is a large, well-oiled machine! I was a little concerned about getting those upgraded seats because the night we went it was a very full house. No need to worry--they definitely know what they're doing. Pre-show, I saw lots of nachos and fries being delivered. Our server came by and took our drink order. I asked for a glass of water, so apparently there is no minimum to meet. I saw some pretty fancy drinks delivered while we waited for the show to start.

We saw "The Best of Second City" show, which is mostly sketch comedy, thought there were a couple of improv sections. I loved it! The cast was made up of two women and three men, each of them very talented and charming. I was a little worried that, since it's a "Best of" show, it might be dated, but the skits addressed current issues. There were some teenage kids in the audience. I'd rate it PG-13 or a soft R for content. Overly sheltered kids will need things explained.

It was a great show with an intermission and an encore, so it lasted just over two hours.

1  Thank doreenpow
Write a ReviewReviews (1,379)
All reviews
in 177 reviews
"revue"
in 54 reviews

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I cannot count the number of times I have been to second city but I can count the number of times I didn't have a good time - zero. Second City comedy shows are perfect for just visitors of the city and long time residents. They are great for dates, friends night out or to go with family. The shows are always different with different themes and the cast varies. They are absolutely hilarious ALWAYS. The tickets are relatively inexpensive, especially considering how much fun you will have and the quality of the comedy. I love how they mix skits that are already planned out with improv depending on the feedback of the audience. I have taken friends and family to these shows and everyone always has a great time. After the show is over the actors usually do another standup part for those who want to stay. Definitely arrive on the earlier side because it is general seating and it can get easily crammed in there. If you are in the mood for a cocktail, i'd recommend the vodka lemonade it comes with lots of flavors but raspberry is delicious. A MUST FOR VISITORS AND RESIDENTS - YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Wonderful evening of comedy - they do improv and scripted - the use of audience members is a great touch. Highly recommend this experience.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We ended up going to the 11 pm show because all the 8 pm shows were sold out by around 6. If you want an early show, either book it online or get there early. It was so funny. I loved how the comedians could come up with something seconds after the audience had made the suggestions. I will never think of coconut rockets ever again without laughing out loud, possibly causing the people around me to think I'm crazy. But it will all be worth it because I'll know that it was Second City that made me laugh.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I went to Second City with my husband on a Sunday night--it was recommended by our food tour guide as something to check out if we liked stand up. I ordered our tickets online Sunday afternoon for a Sunday night show in the training theater. All I have to say is that, if these people are in "training" I can't imagine anyone on the main stage being much funnier!

The group "Infinite Sundaes" opened--they are a musical improv group, the audience gave them a title for a fake musical and they made several songs and plot lines up on the spot. SO FUNNY!

The main show was called "Great expectations: Mediocre results" and it was also a musical comedy/sketch show. Again, filled with amazing talent and super funny--made jokes about life in Chicago and being young professionals.

Probably the best bargain we found in the city--tickets were $12 a piece and were worth every penny. Drinks were sold at the theater (which was located on the third floor of the building, just FYI) and weren't terribly priced.

My husband and I took the metro there--wasn't complicated at all, super easy to get to and find. If you're in Chicago definitely check it out!

1  Thank Kristin T