IHSP Chicago Hostel
Ruby Room(Chicago)
  • Spa
North Hotel(Chicago)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsblue linegreat locationfree breakfastbars and restaurantsrooftop terracedamendowntownnightlifestarbucks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed here for four nights (3 in male dorm and one in a twin private). I was overall pretty pleased with my stay. The staff was always more than helpful with any questions I had. The location is great because you are so close to the CTA Station (Damen-Blue Line). There are two separate buildings. When booking a private, request the other building. It's much quieter and a little bit nicer in my opinion. Many good restaurants and pubs in the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

This hostel met our basic needs (bed, shower, shelter) but not much else. One of the main reasons we booked was because it advertised free parking, but on arrival we were told that there was construction going on in the customer parking area and we would have to find a park on the street. The staff recommended a few streets nearby but warned that we would have to "park at our own risk", basically meaning tough luck if we get a fine or towed. A simple and reasonable solution would have been to arrange parking permits for those guests who need them, but this was not an option. It was actually pretty clear that they couldn't care less. It's quite a busy area, so the park we found ended up being a ten minute walk away. We were in the separate building which is a bit of an inconvenience if you want to do anything in the main building, like take advantage of the free breakfast. The facilities generally left a lot to be desired. On top of the aforementioned parking situation, the wifi is really unreliable, constantly dropping in and out (frustrating if you're trying to book anything...), the laundry facilities suddenly disappeared on our second day (seriously one minute there was a washing machine and dryer, the next they were gone), and the air conditioning alternated between blowing hot and cold air for the entirety of our stay. This made for some very disturbed and uncomfortable nights. One redeeming feature was the location - it's in a really trendy area with a lot to see and do (and eat) right at your door step. I guess it really depends on your priorities, but IHSP didn't meet all of ours.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I like this place, it required a little more cleanliness!! But it was a good wholesome hostel, the staff were fun and the common area is an excellent place to kick off the night!! What a night as well, get on a bar crawl and meet the locals, the history of Chicago is amazing and a real eye opener...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stayed in this hostel after my accommodation had fallen through and I thought the staff were incredibly friendly! The two girls working during the day were very excited to hear that I was from Ireland and I discussed couchsurfing with the guy who works at night, as he kindly let me repack my suitcase before moving to my host's house...

I found the place relatively clean, the sheets were newly washed and changed every day. There were clean towels at reception and near the bathrooms for guests to use. The breakfast was DIY pancakes but the batter was prepared by staff. I really enjoyed making my own pancakes! There's a pool table, computers to use and a roof deck (that I didn't visit on this occasion unfortunately). The lock on my dorm room worked fine and there were lockers inside. I found the area around the hostel ok. There's a supermarket close by and some nice restaurants and cafes. It's also close to the blue line of the metro and very cheap. Recommended!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Place is filthy, staff is rude, and you do not feel safe here, either inside or outside. The neighborhood is awful and the locks on the doors do not seem to stay shut. Stay somewhere else if you can. I still am itching from my night in the dorm bed.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo