“Really clean!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Chicago Getaway Hostel
Cardiff
“Really clean!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

I've been travelling around America and staying in various hostels in lots of cities and this hostel has so far been the best one.

Ok we did have SUPER loud guests staying next to us but I had earplugs so it was fine.

The bathrooms are the best I've seen... Modern adequate and CLEAN!!! Wonderful.

You get brekkie which was fine, nice bagels and fruit an cereal. Couldn't complain.

The staff are helpful and overall we had a lovely stay here.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Mat_Meadows, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Hi Jesswashere!

Thanks for taking the time to review Getaway Hostel all the way from Cardiff. Your feedback means a lot to us. We're glad to have been your best hostel experience so far - and look forward to seeing you around our hostel again in the future!

Mat Meadows

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vaduz, Liechtenstein
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

Very nice and clean hostel. Not in downtown but in a very nice neighborhood. No problem to get there with public transport even with a heavy suitcase. Enjoyed walking through the parks and to downtown.
Rooms are nice, enough hot water, very fast WLan.
And well, it's always loud in hotels or hostels, so bring your earplugs and you won't have any problems sleeping! That's what I always do and never have to complain about noise anymore.
Nice staff at the reception, helped me with my luggage and all my questions.
I can only recommend this place - reasonable price for being in the city.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Mat_Meadows, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Hi Nicole M:

Thanks for taking the time to write a review of our property! We're glad you enjoyed your stay while visiting from Lichtenstein! We look forward to seeing you on future visits across the pond!

Louisville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

My teen son and I had a great 11-day stay at the Chicago Getaway Hostel. It was very clean, all the staff was very nice, the other guests were a great mix of international and young and old. The location was very convenient. The overall value is excellent. I will stay here again and recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: We stayed in a private room and used the shared bathrooms. We moved to a larger room when we added a...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Minger2228:

Thanks for taking the time to review our hostel upon your departure! We're glad that you enjoyed your stay while on the road for 11 nights! Hope to see you again on any future visits to the Windy City!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

WOW. I'm beyond impressed with this place! This hostel is by far the cleanest I've been to at this point. Highly recommended for travelers visiting Chicago for the following reasons:

- It's clean! (Everything is clean! The kitchen, shower stalls [no scum and I never felt gross stepping into the stall with my bare feet], toilets [although I've noticed some specks in the bowls, but it's not a huge deal], dorm rooms [linens, floors, etc.] - It's crystal clear that the cleaning staff is diligent)
- Free bath towels, and you get a new one every day! (Just like at a hotel!)
- Free WiFi accessible throughout the building
- Free continental breakfast from 7 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. (And it's quite a generous breakfast. You have bagels, oranges, bananas, toast, croissants, three types of cereal, jam, cream cheese, tea, coffee, etc. to choose from.)
- Free nightly events (weekdays & weekends)
- Free computers to use at the lobby
- Free printing station
- Great location (it's nestled in a residential area in Lincoln Park, so you can explore this nice little area as well, which is really a nice neighborhood. And it's only a 10 minute walk to the train station, which will take you right to/very close to downtown & popular attractions like The Bean, Grant Park, the Willis Tower, etc.)
- Professional, friendly and helpful staff, who are always more than willing to assist if you need anything
- Affordable bike rentals (I almost rented one from here, but because the type of bike I wanted wasn't available, the staff helped me find other rental places. That was very nice. They could have easily said they didn't know of any other places [since I wasn't going to rent from the hostel], but they went the extra mile without any resentment, so I'm very happy with that.)

When deciding on where to stay during my visit, I debated between the Getaway and HI, and I am 100% happy with having chosen this place. At first, a big reservation was the location, since it's not as close to downtown. But having been able to explore Lincoln Park was a nice plus that I would not have visited if I had stayed at the HI.

For those who may be looking for more affordable accommodations in the Chicago area and prefer hotel service, I'd say this is a good deal. (Not exactly a hotel, but it's close to it.)

Some cons:
- Squeaky bunk beds (at least the ones in the room I stayed in were)
- Door closes noisily (so bring some earplugs if you're a light sleeper)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mat_Meadows, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Agnes C:

Thanks for the stunning review of Chicago Getaway Hostel! We take a lot of pride in providing a first class hostel in the heart of Chicago's Lincoln Park neighborhood. We look forward to seeing you around our friendly confines again in the future!

San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

poor staff attitude, lousy breakfast selection, no control over guest noise, poor planning for group activities. WILL NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN! The bald headed front end manager is a total tool bag, very patronizing and unhelpful

Room Tip: Days Inn down the road!~
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Yepper6
Mat_Meadows, Front Office Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Hi Yepper6:

Thanks for your feedback during your stay at Chicago Getaway Hostel. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay - as we strive to meet and exceed every guests expectations. I would be interested in finding more about your experience - so please do feel free to contact me. I'm disheartened to read this on TripAdvisor, and have not had the opportunity to fix your issues.

I hope I can turn your opinion of Chicago Getaway Hostel around, as it is my goal to ensure every guest leaves happy.

Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

I grew up in Chicago and, last wee, went back for a family visit. Many things have changed, including the hotel rates!

On a lark, I signed up for the Chciago Getaway Hostel and I was glad that I did.

Great location, convenient to various public transportation, nice property, attentive staff.

Several options in terms of housing - from private rooms to dorm arrangements. Reminded me a little of my freshmen year in college.

An unexpected dividend from hostelling is the ability to really meet and get to know people from different parts of the world. At last count, my 3-day stay netted a pleasant exchange with folks from France, Nigeria, Detroit, Cleveland, N.E. Ohio, China, England & San Diego.

This is a clean facility and the fact that the rates are very affordable is no indication of the pleasant furnishings, attentive staff, and cleanliness. Breakfast included was a nice touch as well.

I was glad I stayed here and would stay here again.

Room Tip: several room options available.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank flyfishinguy
Good evening flyfishinguy:

Thanks for taking the time to review our hostel! We're glad that you didn't have to be hostile about our hostel and are glad that you made a reservation with us. Thanks for sharing your experience with our hostel, and hostelling in general with the TripAdvisor community.

Safe travels - and good luck fishing!

Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

This is a really nice hostel, located in a very beautiful residential area of Chicago, but close to Clark St., where you can also find restaurants, pubs, and stores. The hostel itself is clean, with great common rooms and infrastructure, and their employees are all friendly and willing to help.

The rooms are good, though it may be a bit noisy during the nights, as almost everything is allowed in the common room on the first floor. There's a train station at walking distance (about 12 mins.), which is also a big pro.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SebHoch
SebHoch-

Thanks for reviewing us all the way from Santiago, Chile! I'm glad that you enjoyed our wonderful neighborhood of Lincoln Park. Our location allows us to give our guests an experience that you cannot have anywhere else!

Hope you'll choose to stay with us on your next big trip from Chile!