“Great value and excellent location”

Chicago Getaway Hostel
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one week as a single traveller and the hostel staff was amazing. Love the email they send before you get there to tell you what's going on so you know you won't be bored! Kitchen area is huge and clean and lots of storage to store your goodies! Free breakfast is limited but always help set me up for my day. Audrey and Melanie was great host and knows lots about the area so can tell you where best to eat and drink! Great stay!

• Stayed: March 2014
Mat_Meadows, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2015

jojo3388,

Thanks for reviewing Chicago Getaway Hostel! Glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you back at Chicago Getaway Hostel again in the future.

Best regards,

Mat Meadows

There are newer reviews for Chicago Getaway Hostel

Reviewed April 8, 2014

This was the first time I stayed in a hostel since my uni days 13 years ago. I was pleasantly surprised! I stayed here for three nights.

I stayed in a private room which was very basic but met my needs. The bed was comfortable although the sheet didn't quite fit the mattress and I think the blankets could do with updating.
The weather was so cold when I arrived and so the warmth of the hostel was welcoming . However after a day I found my room to be very hot and dried my skin out, and I couldn't adjust the heater as the knob was tight and the window would not stay open. I talked to the cleaners and the desk staff who put me in touch with the engineer who adjusted my heating on the last day. I noticed others had their door open too - to let the heat out.

The desk staff were friendly and knowledgable - advising me of public transport.

I enjoyed sitting in the lobby people watching.

The wifi was excellent.

Breakfast was good too. Was a nice social way to start the day.

I was pleased with the bathrooms but at times there was no toilet paper. The laundry facilities were good.

I'd like to see water stations on each floor. The aircon/heating is dehydrating and it'd be good to be able to easily get some water to drink.

The hostel is located in a nice area. I felt safe walking the street in the day and night. It's close to the bus and the train. There are some good cheap places to eat nearby too.

Room Tip: Ask for a private room if you want solitude. If you want to meet people go down to the a entities ar...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Carly F
Mat_Meadows, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2015

Hi Carly,

Best regards,

Mat Meadows

Reviewed March 27, 2014

I just stayed there for the weekend and it was great!!!! Very clean room, lobby, kitchen. very friendly and welcoming staff. The location is in a very cute and quiet neighborhood. Free breakfast!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank omgitslauren
Jason S, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Hello omgitslauren,

Thank you for choosing the Getaway Hostel during your time in Chicago. We are so happy to hear that you had an excellent stay. We strive to be the best hostel in the US and with reviews like yours, it sounds like we're on the right track. We can't wait to have you stay with us again!

Reviewed March 16, 2014

I just stay there this weekend and will provide details as I wish they were published before:

- Location: average. It is located 30 minutes from downtown. If you come from o,hare take the blue line train direction to the loop, then drop off at Washington and get into brown line direction to Kimball. Drop off at Fullerton. Once you are out of the station turn right and look for orchard street, (5 min walking) turn left on Fullerton and orchard then you reach Arlington turn right and there you are. Average travel time from ohare 1:30 hours. Once you learn that all the line trains go to the loop at downtown it's very easy to transport.

Clean: very good. Remember it is an hostal, but not as you imagine. Is clean, I just use it to sleep. Shared bathroom ok. Use a private room, they are very safe you have your own closet to put your stuff and a card to Access the room.

- Service: excellent, the guys answer all your questions and provide solutions when you need it.

- neighborhood: nice and old Classic Chicago. You can tell its safe because there is no graffiti in there, I was last night in a nearby bar and it was nice. There are restaurants at Clark st. Of all kind (pizza, mcdonalds, coffe shops, etc)

Tips: if you decide to stay here, be smart and get a day pass for train and bus (only 10 usd) as I said before only 30 min to downtown. Breakfast is very good with good options. Going back to ohare consider 2 hours of transit to avoid delays. If you want to hang out in downtown take brown line direction to loop and get off at Quincy, go to millenium park, and then the river, Willis tower, etc.

Summary: If you to travel and explore the city this is a good option, it gives you what you need, a place to sleep, clean, safe and breakfast, plus excelent service. If your goal is to rest and stay in an hotel, better get an hotel in downtown

2  Thank JMgefahren
Jason S, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Hello JMgefahren,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Getaway. We are thrilled to hear about your positive experience. Our staff loves to assist guests throughout their time with us. Every guest is different and we love to make recommendations that suits each guest. We wish you the best on your travels and can't wait to welcome you again.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Stayed 2 nights during a trip to see Chicago. Hostel is clean with upscale feel. I liked the neighborhood. Very nice and I felt safe walking to and from the train. The hostel advertises that it allows drinking and my fellow guests take that seriously. It was also st Patrick's day when I stayed, but I found that the eating area always had people drinking alcohol. They weren't roudy but it wasn't my favourite thing. Room was clean. Beds were metal, so they didn't feel as sturdy as say a wooden framed bed and made noise when people moved. Otherwise, friendly staff. Location is 13 min walk from Lstation. Wifi spotty in evening, however I have experienced the same thing at other hostels. I would return.

1  Thank Earthy_Feet
Jason S, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Hi Earthy_Feet,

Thank you for reviewing the Getaway Hostel. We are happy that you enjoyed your time in Chicago with us. Our staff pride in having the cleanest facilities for guests to enjoy. Our location is in a historic district in Lincoln Park with many trees, restaurants and bars lining the streets. We are not a "party hostel" but certain weekends such as St. Patrick's Day, create a more festive environment. We look forward to seeing you again.

Cheers,

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Booked this hostel with my boyfriend whilst travelling around the US after doing Camp America and booked it pretty last minute as we were just planning where we were going along the way. When we got to the hostel (was easy to find!) we were welcomed in by the staff and thoroughly explained everything that we needed to know.
The room itself was basic for what we needed (only stayed one night) and the kitchen facilities were amazing even though we only used it once. Perfect location and personally thought the computer system displaying information about what to do, eat etc in Chicago was perfect for the likes of us UK tourists! It even displayed directions on how to get there. Would totally stay here again if I was ever back in Chicago!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Katie P
Jason S, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Hi Katie P,

We're so glad that you enjoyed your time at the Getaway Hostel. Our staff is always happy to share everything about the property and the city. If you don't know what to do, we're thrilled to make recommendations. We hope the next time you visit Chicago you'll be able to stay with us for more than 1 night. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

The hostel is awesome! The breakfast is good enough to start the day and the kitchen is great if you want to cook your own food. The hostel's facilities were awesome, very clean and well managed, the only downside was that the dorm's door was pretty noisy when closing (and not helpful when people enter or leave at midnight), and the A/C was too warm for me but I guess is better than freezing during Chicago's winter.
Location was perfect, it is not close to downtown but I think its better to be anywhere but downtown if you want to see and live Chicago's experiences... there is not only a lot going on in the area, but its also known for being a fancy and really nice place (and quite safe). You can go downtown to do the touristic stuff but also you can go to other parts of the city and enjoy while discovering different places and things. Can't wait to get back during summer!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank NicolasRuiz

Hello NicolasRuiz,

Thank you very much for staying with us. We are thrilled to hear about your positive experience in your review. We are striving the be America's best hostel and have made constant upgrades to enhance the guest experience. It's great that you enjoyed our historic neighborhood and took on Chicago's neighborhoods head on. Outside of our dorms, we offer 3 styles of private rooms that may be more comfortable for you during your next visit. We can't wait to see you again - hopefully in a warmer month :).

Cheers,