“Great for backpackers”

Chicago Getaway Hostel
Taipei, Taiwan
“Great for backpackers”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Just a few blocks away from Fullerton station. Plenty of restaurants near. Great neighborhood, great lobby, great breakfast, great information and great activities. The only downside is that the shower room is a bit small.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JasonCLee
Jason S, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Hello JasonCLee,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your experience at our hostel. Its great to hear about your positive stay. Our staff strives to please our guests during our free events and with our unique recommendations. We love that you enjoyed our neighborhood and explored the city as a whole. We look forward to your next visit!

Safe travels,

Jason Schultz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis, MN, USA
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I can do nothing but sing praises for the Getaway Hostel.

First, let's cover setting. The location is only a few blocks away from public transportation, the neighborhood is agreeable to deal with during most if not all hours of the day, and once inside the first thing to greet you is a nice lobby with a good balance between its seating and its spaciousness. It is kept nice and clean while looking homey and welcoming. Sometimes the ritziness of pricier places feels daunting or imposing, like you must be careful not to so much as leave fingerprints on a table top; here you can escape that while still staying someplace well-kept. There are tables for using free internet on a few desktop computers. Not far off is the check-in desk, where the staff are friendly and easy to talk to. They are helpful, accommodating, and ready to answer questions about the area. There are pamphlets on nearby businesses and attractions, maps, and so on. In the lobby, you may see people hanging around seated in the chairs, surfing the internet, quietly socializing or perhaps checking out a book in the reading alcove near the check-in desk. I was only around that area between 9am and 11am, so I can't say how that may change during other hours of the day, but it wasn't a bother at all.

Now on to the room itself. If you've never stayed in a hostel before, basically it's like you're sharing a dorm room with multiple other people. There are bunk beds with fresh bedding and towels provided, and lockers for keeping your belongings safe while you're out and about. I suggest bringing a padlock of your own, key or combination. The front desk does offer locks to those who don't have any, but for a small fee. I brought my own.

Beds are assigned; the front desk will tell you which bed number is yours. This may seem like an annoyance, but as long as you're traveling light and don't plan to stay in the hostel room for much of the time outside of sleeping, then one of the only real concerns you should have is whether you need a bottom bunk for health or other reasons. I lucked out in getting one. The mattress itself was rather comfortable. I have back problems when sleeping on poor mattresses sometimes, but it was easy enough to fall asleep on this. The other potential concern is roommates who come in late at night. I stayed one night, and was out all evening until past midnight, so I had to be careful not to wake the few others in the room. The downside of keeping your things in a locker in this situation is the noise the locker and lock make just so you can put away what you had with you while you were out. But a couple of minutes and all was finished. Once I was in bed, there was no noisiness, be it coming from inside the hostel, or outside. If you have noise concerns, you can always ask the front desk when you check in about rooms with fewer occupants in them, especially with smaller rooms. They're probably used to such questions. This might be less of an issue if traveling in a group that takes up most of the beds in a room, although the rooms are single sex.

The hostel serves a continental breakfast, which offers many cold options and a few hot ones. There will be something for everyone, and plenty of seating in the dining room. I believe I saw a bunch of bins in the kitchen where travelers could keep food of their own during their stay, a setup that is typical of hostels from what I have seen, but do not quote me on that.

Down a couple hallways away from the sleeping rooms, you will find communal restrooms and showers. Yes, the showers do have stalls and curtains. These were clean and agreeable to use, and had some small bottles of cleansing products that were free for anyone to use, in case someone forgot to pack their shampoo or conditioner. No complaints here.

A hostel stay will definitely not be for everyone. It's a little less privacy than you might want, and the restrooms take some walking to get to. That said, if these are things you don't mind, and you need/want to be thrifty with your lodging fees, please do check out the Chicago Getaway Hostel. I cannot recommend it enough.

One final tidbit to add: an advantage to staying here is that travelers who arrive in the morning may be able to check in early if their bed is already available. Many hotels make you wait till the afternoon at earliest to check in. I was able to get my bed at around 10, 10:30 in the morning, which was great because I'd had a morning flight, I didn't want to tote my luggage everywhere for hours, and I had been up since 1am and needed a brief nap.

Room Tip: Bring a padlock. Use luggage that can fit in a locker.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Numikins
Jason S, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Hi Numikins,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our hostel. We are thrilled that you were able to enjoy your stay with us and your time in Chicago. We are pushing to become the #1 hostel in the US focusing on cleanliness, fun activities and affordable prices. We can start quoting you on your keen observation because we do allow guests to use the bins for storage and encourage everyone to take advantage of our kitchen. We hope to welcome you again during your next trip to the city.

Cheers,

Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Beautifully set in Lincoln Park the Chicago Getaway Hostel is a hidden gem. Not quite a hotel and not exactly a hostel the Chicago Getaway Hostel can best be described as a boutique hostel. Posh is how I would describe this hostel.

There are the usual rooms with bunk beds, shared bathing facilities, common areas, wifi, and a giant state of the art industrial kitchen to cook up a tasty dish or stow whats left from dinner. There is a pool table and a foosball table in the giant common room with a separate room for watching television. There is a beautiful outdoor patio for use in warmer weather.

If you rely on public transit the hostel is a good 10 minute walk from the nearest L stop, which is on the red line. I also found the wifi signal to be not as strong as I would have liked. All in all I had a wonderful experience during my brief stay with at the Chicago Getaway Hostel. I highly recommend this as an excellent place to explore the windy city.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Jason S, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Hello Jmycal,

Thank you very much for staying at the Getaway Hostel. It's great to hear that you took full advantage of our facilities and neighborhood. The property is designed to make socializing with fellow travelers a breeze with our welcoming setting. Please be sure to stay with us again during our Summer season to take full advantage of our patio, bike rentals and BBQ's! We can't wait to see you again.

Elmore, Ohio
Reviewed January 18, 2014

My friends and I went to Chicago just to go. It was kind of last minute thinking and planning. My sister had found this hostel and told us about it, I was kinda nervous at first cause I didn't know what it was going to be like. By the end of the trip I loved the place! It is very different from a hotel, but it was so cool! Everyone is very laid back and extremely nice! It's also in a great neighborhood! A lot of great places in walking distance from here! It's a perfect place to stay if you have never been to Chicago or if you're on a budget! They have activities there where you can meet tons of cool people and they also have a Sunday night dinner for everyone at the hostel! All in all, great price, great atmosphere, great area! I will definitely stay here again next time I'm in Chicago!

Room Tip: If you are traveling with friends, I suggest getting a room with either a half bath or full bath. It...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Jason S, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Hi Chelsea F,

Thank you very much for staying at the Getaway and for sharing your experience. It's great that you discovered us for an option to stay at - we're glad we calmed your nerves about hostels upon your arrival. We enjoy welcoming guests who have never stayed at a hostel before and introduce our property. Since you enjoyed our Sunday night dinner, you'll have to come back during our peak months and take part in our BBQ that kicks off the weekend. We can't wait for your next visit.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I needed a place to crash in Chicago while visiting a friend and this worked perfect. The staff were extremely helpful and super friendly. The place was also really easy to access and coming and going was pretty easy for me. No curfews or problems with stuff like that. Also very warm in the winter, heat was cranking. The male dorm was a little tight for space, but I guess that's expected in a dorm. Maybe get a private room if you want some space.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Jason S, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Hi brandonbgomez,

Thank you for sharing your Getaway experience. We're glad that we were able to accommodate you during your time in Chicago. We love to hear that our staff left a lasting impression. We hope you will be stopping by the Getaway during your next trip to Chi-Town.

Guatemala City, Guatemala
Reviewed January 3, 2014

It's a really nice hostel, the breakfast buffet is great and they have really good services, like wi-fi, computers, a good staff and activities every night. It's a friendly place, and it's 15 min. from the nearest subway station.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Jason S, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Greetings MaferArroyo,

Thank you for staying at the Getaway and for your review. It's great to hear about your positive experience and your enjoyment of our facilities. We look forward to seeing you again.

Cheers,

Janesville, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 3, 2014

My daughter and I stayed at this hostel. It was our first time staying at a hostel, but we would GLADLY DO IT AGAIN! We had a room with a bunk bed, toilet and sink. The VERY CLEAN showers were just down the hallway. The room was warm (love radiant heat!) and clean. We went down to the community room and ended up staying for two hours after meeting new friends. We played pool and sat and talked with others. The breakfast was good. It consisted of oatmeal, toast, bagels and fruit, just your standard fare. There was also coffee and tea available. The kitchen was amazing! If you bring your own food they have freezers, fridges and cubbies to keep it all in. Make sure to bring your own soap, as it is not provided in the rooms. Having not stayed at a hostel before I didn't know that I should have brought bar soap for hand washing. The location is awesome as well. We walked to Lincoln Park from the hostel! Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hi Sarah H,

Thank you very much for sharing your first hostel experience! We are very happy that you gave the world of hosteling a chance at the Getaway. Our property was built in 1928 and has much character, even with our heating system which we're glad you're a fan. We can't wait to welcome you and your daughter again. We hope to see you with a much warmer city to offer.