“New fave in Chicago”
Review of Ivy Boutique Hotel

Ivy Boutique Hotel
Ranked #86 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed July 15, 2014

My wife and I just returned from a long weekend in Chicago. We go often and have stayed a several nice places. This was our first time at the Ivy and it won't be our last. We did book through Hotwire and got a very good deal. I had done my research and new the hotel was Ivy before I booked. It is listed as a 4.5 star boutique in the water tower area. I was surprised that we were given the King Suite at the rate we paid. I think the hotel was full and they had filled all their Queen Studios or I'm certain that we would have been given one of those. The suite was awesome, probably worth the additional expense.

We really liked the small hotel feel. Never saw anyone else on our floor. Hotel was very clean. Room was scuffed in few spots but pretty clean and very stylish. Tons of space. Very quiet and dark at night. Unusual for a city hotel. Great location. Friendly staff. Good value even at full rate. Excellent value on Hotwire. Maybe if you booked for 3 people you would get the suite?

We are picky. We either want a great deal or a fantastic property. With the Ivy we got both.

Room Tip: King Suite was very large and an excellent value.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Hello Jsnjl,
Thank you for taking time to write a review for the IVY Hotel in downtown Chicago. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Our King Suites are always a crowd favorite. They are 675 sqft, offer a California King bed, double sinks, mini bar area, deep soaking tub and luxurious rainfall shower. Additionally, our convenient downtown location helps guests to be in the center of all activities going on in the city! Again, thank you for the review and for choosing the IVY Hotel. We look forward to seeing you again in the future! Enjoy your day.

Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Ivy for a city trip and mainly chose the hotel for the location and the rooftop terrace. The location was fantastic, in close proximity to mag mile, navy pier and mca. The queen suite was spacious, great interior and very clean. Unfortunately we looked out on a dumpster which was not as pleasant, but Since we spent little time in the room during the day, that was not mich of an issue. What was rather unpleasant was the fact, that the rooftop terrace during our visit was either closed for a private event or it was suppose to rain or previously had rained (which was early on the morning). Despite clear skies and sunshine the rooftop was not accessible, which I very found disappointing- it would have cost the service 10 min to set up the outdoor area and put some pillows in the chairs. The drinks we got to try, one of 5 afternoons we stayed at the ivy, were ok but clearly overpriced for what they were. The closed rooftop would also not have been an issue if there was an alternate space to 'hang out' and enjoy a glass of wine. The lobby area was not very inviting to do so.
Lastly, the service was pretty poor. The concierges seemed to be overwhelmed by their task to open the door or call a taxi. We had to wait 15 min for a taxi, although 3 taxis stopped in the mean time at the hotel front. One night we called the service desk to get some info about a concert which started at 8pm. We called at 7.15pm and at 8pm the service desk got back to us, saying they could not find any info. Definitely not 4star
The cherry on top though was the incident when the cleaning maid, threw away my mothers medicine which was on the night stand. When I went down to guest services, they told me the cleaning lady is gone and they don't know when she will be back. The question on what to do know was: I don't know.
The overall friendliness one expects in such a hotel was disappointing and the front desk seemed to be very much concerned with their own amusement and talks.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank sientjeamerah
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Hello sientjeamerah,
Thank you for writing a review for the IVY Hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the interior and design of your guest room. However, I do want to apologize for the inconsistencies you experienced while staying with us in regards to the Sky Terrace. Since the Sky Terrace is an open air lounge, it is completely weather dependent which makes it difficult to judge what the forecast will be especially here in Chicago. Nonetheless, I do apologize for any frustration this may have caused you during your stay.
I also wanted to apologize for any negative encounters you may have experienced with the front desk staff. We appreciate you brining this to our attention, and will certainly use this information when addressing certain changes that need to be made here at the hotel. Again, thank you for the review, and we hope you enjoy your day.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

I recently hosted a meeting at the Ivy for a group of colleagues. The meeting room (we were in the ballroom) was the perfect size and the set up was great. Ilona worked with me to choose snacks, meals, etc. and the quality of all the food was great and served on time. Proved to be a big hit with the team and I am sure a couple of them will be writing reviews as well.

If you are looking for a great little place in Chicago for a twenty or so person meeting this location can’t be beat.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Hello Mike A,
Thank you for writing a review for the IVY Hotel, and also for choosing us to host your recent event. We appreciate your kind words, and look forward to hearing from your colleagues. We have 2 ballrooms that we are able to host events in, in addition to our rooftop lounge (The Sky Terrace) during the summer season. Ilona works hard to make sure no detail is overlooked, and that every guest is satisfied when they leave. Thank you again for the review, and we look forward to seeing you again in the future. Enjoy your day.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

What a great place to bring that special someone. We pulled up to the valet and the doorman was right there to get our things and as we went in/out during our stay he always opened the door for us. The hotel is located right in the heart of it for Chicago with shopping on Michigan Avenue, great restaurants, night life, you name it in walking distance.

Rooftop bar is great and the prices extremely good for Chicago. Had some appetizers which were hot and good. Service was good in spite of a big crowd.

Rooms are clean, big, and WOW when it comes to the bathroom. Five thumbs up!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 795Mike

Hello 795Mike,
Thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review on behalf of the IVY Hotel in downtown Chicago. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself while staying with us. It sounds like you got to experience all the hotel has to offer from your review… the rooftop lounge, large bathrooms and the prime location! We love to hear from our guests, it helps us stay on track and improve in any areas where it may be necessary. Again, thank you for the review, and we hope to see you again soon. Enjoy your day.

Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

The hotel was beautiful and the rooms were amazing and comfortable! The only thing I disliked was the price of the mini bar and snacks in the room. They could have made it a little bit less expensive. I also wasn't sure if I was aloud to use the bathroom soups and hair shampoos or if you had to pay for the coffee. But everything else was amazing:)

• Stayed: July 2014
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Hello Kay Z,
Thank you for taking time to write a review for the IVY hotel. We hope you enjoyed your stay, and we would love to see you again soon. All of our bathroom amenities such as our signature soaps and shampoos, as well as our in room coffee is all complimentary for our guests. We want to provide the most comfortable and accommodating hotel experience, so we try to offer as much to our guests as they would need to feel at home during their stay. Again, thank you for the review, and we hope to see you again soon. Enjoy your day.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

I have stayed at the Ivy a couple times after nights out in downtown Chicago. The location is great and is really close to a lot of popular places. Last time I was there, I stayed in a 2 Queen Suite. The room had a very sleek look, the beds were super comfortable, and it had the nicest bathroom I had ever seen. I think I was most impressed with the TV screen in the mirror! There is also a rooftop bar which I recommend anyone check out. I definitely recommend this place for anyone looking for a place to stay in the city.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Hello Robin C,
Thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review for the IVY Hotel. We are happy to hear that when you are in Chicago the IVY Hotel is at the top of your list. Being located only a block and a half off of Michigan Avenue, it makes our property very convenient for those looking to spend a lot of quality time downtown! Our Double Queen Suites that you mentioned is 675sqft and offers both a large soaking tub, as well as a rainfall shower that guests LOVE! Thank you again for the review, and we look forward to seeing you again in the future. Enjoy your day.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

We come to Chicago 4-5 times a year. If you're reading this review I'll tell you where we've stayed before because it may help as a reference. We have stayed in the following hotels: the James, The Dana, Sheraton, Hyatt Regency, Park Hyatt, The Sax, Swissotel, Hilton (points also), and two Best Westerns (Grant Park and River North for running events only). On average we stay at the Hyatt for reliability of quality for the price (and the Hyatt points) but we like trying out smaller and unique hotels every year.
So far, for Boutique Hotels, Ivy takes the cake. We thought the James was nice, but Ivy is a league of it's own.
From the start, I made my reservation through Booking.com and got a private email from the hotel because they wanted to make sure I understood we would not be able to see fireworks from the hotel, as well as adding some suggestions on where to go and even offering to cancel the reservation if I wanted to stay in a hotel with a view. We decided to stay anyway since the fireworks for the 4th were not our main purpose for the trip.
Walking into the lobby feels more like walking into an apartment building, small and personal, understated but sleek, modern, clean and with that touch of classy style.
As another reviewer noted, there is a feeling like you are the only one in the place, or the floor, as there are very few rooms per floor, making it super quiet and personal.
One pet peeve of mine is that most rooms have loud vents or heating/ac units. It's hard for me to understand why they are not centralized. The Ivy has perfect ac. Whisper quiet, perfect temperature throughout, we did not have to mess with the thermostat once. The bed was dreamy and comfortable. Goldilocks would have said "just right". Just right amount of pillows, right thickness of duvet, not too soft not too hard. Perfect.
The bathroom was beautiful. The rain shower had us taking three showers a day (upon waking up, after exercise, and before dinner or bedtime) just to feel that warm water on your body, smell the dreamy shower gel, and wrap yourself up in huge soft and fresh smelling Snow White towels. Two sinks with plenty of counter space are the best way to make couples happy. The detail of providing a shower/bath scrunchie is a first, and I applaud and heartily approve! The only two complaints in the bathroom are that the tub would not warm up. We attempted to fill it and never managed to get warm water, so no bath was had. Also, the shower area drain had a slight odor to it from the drain, nothing so,e bleach or so etching can't fix. I do warn you that the shower has a lovely elevated black marble slab to stand on, but it can potentially be slippery, so if you are clumsy, be careful! The only potential improvement? There were no bathrobes (but the slippers were amazing!).
Then there were the little details: fresh baked mini banana nut muffins at the front desk in the morning, a tiny treat in the evening with a note telling you the weather forecast. One of the treats was a mini cake pop. It was heaven in a bite. Sweet, chocolatey devil food cake in a chocolate covered pop one for each of us waiting for us with the turndown service on a bed awaiting us and jazz playing on the radio. Oh. My. Goodness! It's these little things you never forget.
The rooftop bar was fun after the Fourth of July fireworks, what a lovely view of the city and cool tunes in the background while you drink out of a hand blown glass.
The only slight let-down for us: because we usually take the train (avoid crappy Chicago traffic and outrageous parking fees) we don't leave town until 4 when we go to the Amtrak train station. So late checkout is a must. I asked for late check out but only got an hour an a half grace, from 11 to 12:30. On a Sunday check out seems kind of miserly. In my humble opinion a late check out is at least 1pm. Note to hotels in the US: in Cape Town South Africa, I asked for late check out at the two hotels I stayed in (the Cape Town Hilton and the Protea Fire and Ice) due to late travel departures and they all seem to have a system where they prorate it into an hourly charge after a grace period. In other words, my plane was leaving at midnight. Check out was noon but they allowed me to check out by 1pm free of charge or pay and extra fifty dollars and check out at 6pm, which I gladly did so I could squeeze the most out of my brief visit to that lovely city. Chicago hotels should do the same, they stand to gain some extra bucks if they are not fully booked.
I highly recommend this hotel. Location is also fantastic, just off the hustle and bustle of Michigan avenue but close enough to everything, be it shopping, dining, or the lakefront for a good run or visiting the Navy Pier. We'll definitely be adding The Ivy to our tried and true list and look forward to making it our favorite place to stay.

Room Tip: Go for the Deluxe King Suite!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank divekyra .

Hello divekyra,
Thank you so much for your kind review of the IVY Hotel. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay while here in Chicago, and that when returning to the city you have added the IVY to your list of favorite hotels. Being a smaller boutique hotel, we have 63 rooms in total and only 5 guest rooms per floor. This allows us to create the quieter and more intimate setting that you referenced in your review. We also get so many compliments on our beds and of course, the rainfall showers! However, we do offer robes for our guest, they are located in the drawer of the closet that is located just to the left of the door when you enter the room.
We are located a block and a half off of Michigan Avenue, so our guests are centrally located in all of the best that downtown Chicago has to offer. Furthermore, for those guests looking to stay “close to home”, we do have our rooftop bar open, the Sky Terrace, for the summer season as well. Again, thank you for the review, and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Enjoy your day!