“A real gem in Chicago”

Ranked #89 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Wauconda, Illinois
“A real gem in Chicago”
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

My brother and i stayed here in march. He had just flown in from Paris and commented that the bathroom in the suite was larger than the hotel room he had just left in France. There has been unbelievable attention paid detail in this wonderful hotel. The lobby area and the helpful staff are only the beginning to the pampering in store for you. We had a queen suite and it was so huge. The beds were extremely comfortable. I have never seen the remote control for the televisions presented in such a clever manner. The remote is in a book with a listing of the t.v. stations available. A nice touch. I really loved the huge shower in the bathroom. It was great. I feel that small hotels like this one are much more enjoyable than larger hotels with hundreds of rooms. I hope you choose to stay here. You will not be disappointed!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Hello Gail L,
Thank you for writing a review for the Ivy Boutique Hotel. We pay special attention to the smaller details, and believe that those elements help create a memorable experience for our guests. I am glad that those touches helped to make your stay even more enjoyable. Again, thank you for choosing the Ivy Boutique Hotel and for writing a review won our behalf. Have a great day.

General Manager - Ivy Boutique Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Brookings, South Dakota
Reviewed March 18, 2014

This hotel is lavishly decorated in modern decor, both the lobby and rooms. I stayed in a king-bed room with separate sitting area. The room was superbly furnished; sitting area was spacious with a huge couch and separate large chair and table. The bed was wonderful with lavender scented pillows (so read the little note on them). The bathroom was huge with extra-large soaking tub and shower. Bathroom was beautifully tiled and there was a television *behind* the extra large mirror above the vanity which became visible when you turned it on!! There was also a Kruge coffee maker with K-cups and a wonderfully stocked fridge including various bottles of liquor and non-liquors set nicely on the large marble counter top.
The rooftop bar was not open when I stayed, but the one on the main floor was nicehas a limited menu along with a full-service bar. I had the Steak Salad combo with some red wine and dessert -- delicious.
My only complaint is that my 7am wake-up call came BOTH at 12:30am and 7am!?!?
It is one, slick, modern hotel -- good choice and a good value.

Room Tip: I had booked a Queen bed room and was offered an upgrade to king for $25. I took it and did not regr...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Dr Doug D
Hello Dr Doug D,
Thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review for the Ivy Boutique Hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, and had so many great things to say about our property. I do apologize for the disrupting wake up calls, but hope all of the positive features outweighed the bad. I also wanted to mention that our 16th floor rooftop Sky Terrace will be opening at the beginning of May, so hopefully you will be able to stay with us again and enjoy our open air rooftop space. Have a great day.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I booked a queen suite on Orbitz - we booked the room for a small group of people to celebrate my sisters Bacheloreeete party.

Upon arrival with all of our party items, the women at the front desk would not acknowledge me, then a manager came up to me. Before even asking who I was or even greeting me, the manager asked how many people I was planning to have in the room. After telling him, he hold me I could not have 4-5 people in my room for a party.

When I told him we would leave at 9pm he said ok and then checked us in, additionally they did not have the room I booked available, so they gave us two king suites which were beautiful.

I understand they want to be mindful of other guests as it is a boutique hotel but I was disappointed in the poor quality of customer service I received.

Overall the stay was nice and the rooms are gorgeous, but the hotel staff was rude and I did not feel like a valued guest at the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Loren B
Hello Loren B,
Thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review for the Ivy Boutique Hotel. Most importantly, I want to apologize for any issues that you had with our staff. It is very important to me that we provide quality service, so we will be sure to use your review to help motivate our staff and encourage them to continuously provide the highest quality customer service for every guests stay. Again, thank you for writing the review, and I hope you have a great day.

Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We just left the Ivy yesterday after a few days in Chicago and we were very happy with everything there...We managed to get a King Suite and the room was so spacious like a small apartment...with 3 tvs...living area...nice big bathroom with sink and shower and bar area with coffee machine. Only minor disappointments were the fact that the wifi did not work in the room...Tried several times to get it in the room and half the time it wouldn't take the password and other times it just didn't show up. Only when we were l eaving and standing at the front door was i able to log on my phone. The other negative for me was the fact that there was no gym on premises. They do have access to another gym but that gym is about a mile away on the other side of the river so it's more or less inconvenient for most people to use. If you aren't reliant on the use of a gym nor wifi then this would be the spot to stay. Little over a block to Michigan Ave and a couple to the lake so the location can't be beat. And there are more than enough eating choices in the vicinity to chose from.

Room Tip: Best room by far are the King Suite rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mooresy2
Hello mooresy2,
Thank you for taking time to write a review about the Ivy Boutique Hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay, but do apologize for the lack of wireless internet connection in your guest room. I hope that when you travel back to the Chicago area you consider the Ivy Boutique Hotel again for your hotel accommodations. Again, I appreciate you taking the time to write a review on our behalf, and I hope you have a great day.

Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Where do I start? While planning trips, I love to utilize Trip Advisor for choosing a property to stay at. This be a testimony to Trip Advisor…. First, Ivy has great reviews for a reason!!! Secondly, I encourage everyone to stay at boutique hotels versus big branded hotels.
I took lots of pictures, but they're identical to everyone else's for these reviews.
I arrived in February for a long, fun weekend with my boyfriend and a few other couples. We chose a king suite. They did NOT overlook the details when designing this property!
First, it is amazing that there are only a handful of rooms on each floor. I loved the light outside of your door where you can indicate Do Not Disturb, housekeeping needed, etc. The bathroom is excellent! Love the double sinks, the TV in the mirror, the deep soaking tub, and the wonderful rainfall shower.
The mini bar area has great items for purchase (alcohol, lotions, snacks, sodas). The refrigerator has chilled items available for purchase, but also has room for you to put your own snacks and beverages in there--a plus! I love that while we were out exploring the city, hotel services came into our room and filled out ice bucket with fresh ice! What an amazing touch!
The king size bed was comfortable. Our linens were crisp and clean! It's always nice having lighting controls bedside. TV #2 was located in the bedroom area. Each evening, the hotel staff left petit fours and a notecard indicating the weather for the next day. Such a small detail, but huge impact!! :)
Finally, the living room area was so nice to have! There was a nice desk, a sectional couch, commissioned artwork on the walls, and local (high-end) magazines. The floor to ceiling windows THAT OPENED on Ontario street were wonderful. Did I mention the electronic window covering controls? We had our friends over one evening for beverages before our dinner reservations. They were so impressed with this property and this living area space was a great area for entertaining. Oh, yeah! TV #3 was in the living room!
Finally, we stopped by the lobby bar for a few beverages one evening as well. Our drinks were excellent and our bartenders were knowledgeable of the city and also were enjoyable to visit with. The doorman was great for helping us hail down cabs, and the front desk service was superb! I can't even think of a suggestion for improvement for this property! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!

Room Tip: Don't even hesitate--go for the King Suite right away!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Laura M,
Thank you so much for writing such a wonderful review about the Ivy Boutique Hotel. It is great to hear that guests notice and appreciate the small touches that we have added to our property to help enhance the overall quality of our guests stay. We value each and every guest that stays with us, and we want to make sure they know that! I want to thank you again for writing such kind words about the Ivy Boutique Hotel, and we will hopefully see you in the future. Have a great day!

Los Gatos, California
Reviewed March 9, 2014

The Ivy hotel is a little gem tucked away in a fantastic location, just enough off the Magnificent Mile to miss the noise, but an easy 2 block stroll away. The hotel is a smaller boutique hotel, with a European feel. The staff was super friendly and the rooms were huge. Like most urban hotels, the views were not the greatest. But, you can't beat this hotel for value, location and terrific rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor so you can escape any street noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello U N,
Thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review for us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay here at the Ivy Boutique Hotel. We pride ourselves on providing the friendliest and highest quality customer service. We look forward to accommodating you again in the future. Enjoy your day.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I stayed here in a king suite over Valentine's Day with my husband. We stay at hotels often for work and were extremely disappointed. While the room was extremely clean, the staff was not friendly. We pre-ordered room service for breakfast and twenty minutes after its scheduled arrival time, we had to call to see if we were ever going to get our food. The staff on the other end was unapologetic and when our food finally showed up, it was cold and minutes before check out time. So much for breakfast in bed. The amenities in the bathroom were excellent, but maintenance was poor. Sinks drained extremely slow, the faucet on the bathtub was very loose and the windows to our room were so dirty that it wasn't even worth opening our curtains for. Also, if you want ice, it arrives in a not so clean looking bucket and the person delivering it just throws it in your bar sink. Not great if you plan on putting it in your drink. Great location, and extremely clean though.

Room Tip: King Suite has killer bathtub.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chicagolver
Hello Chicagolver,
I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay over Valentine’s Day at the Ivy Boutique Hotel. Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We will use the information that you have provided to help better our customer service standards and provide quality accommodations in the future. I apologize again, and thank you for your review. Have a nice day.

General Manager - Ivy Boutique Hotel