“Boutique hotel with potential”
Review of Ivy Boutique Hotel

Ivy Boutique Hotel
Ranked #80 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed December 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the King Suite at the Ivy for one night. Let me start with the positives:

1. Clean and luxuriously feel room
2. Staff was attentive and friendly
3. Automatic window curtains
4. Bathroom and sitting area were roomy
5. Do not disturb and housekeeping button by the door eliminated door hanger
6. Mini muffins in the morning was a nice touch
7. Wi-Fi access is complementary

Ok...for the negatives:

1. Fitness center (900 N. Michigan) is about 2 blocks west and 7 blocks north of the hotel. It's a nice walk in the summer but in the dead of winter that might be an issue. Ok...the passes are complementary.
2. No shuttle service (Where's the Lexus hybrid Travelzoo and other website rave about?)
3. Operating the elevator to go UP is a little tricky. You have to first scan your keycard then push the floor button. But it took me a couple tries for the elevator to respond.
4. $48 per night plus tip for parking is insane in my opinion. Yes, it's valet. I also know it's Chicago and standard of living is high. But if you are willing to walk that kind of distance to the fitness center, you can sure find a garage for half that per night within walking distance. Do your research so you don't drive around looking for a garage.

Room Tip: To operate the shower. Top knob is for handshower. Middle knob is for temp control and water press...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ilovemanu_1999
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is always appreciated, and I will do my very best to rectify these issues during my next staff meeting. We hope to see you again at the IVY!

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Amazing location, wonderfully designed space and pleasant staff. Such a gem! I love the modern amenities of the room. Hardwood floors, remote control curtains and a sophisticated turn-down service. They truly thought of everything!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Keisha L

Dear Guest,

Thank you taking the time to post a review about our property on TripAdvisor. Thank you for the kind words about our amenities and staff. We hope to see you in the near future!

Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Once you walk into the room you will fall in love. I have been to some of the top hotels in the downtown Chicago and this so far is tops, mainly for what you get for the price. Its perfectly located just of Michigan avenue so its a short walk to all the ships but you are not right in the middle of all the hustle and bustle. You have to check it out it is worth it.

2  Thank ohst1211

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to comment on your recent stay at the IVY Boutique Hotel. I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for the recommendation, we're looking forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed December 25, 2013

My husband and I need a quick get away, so we choose Chicago. We went on Priceline and got a great deal for the best stay ever! The Ivy provided immaculate service from the courteous greeting, to the turn down service! The Ivy is a superb choice. The decor was classy, web service quick, and concierge eager to help. The desserts at bedtime were delicious and were delivered with fresh ice. The room was cleaned everyday to perfection, although there was someone different everyday that serviced the room, you've never known the difference in service. The Ivy made our stay like home. We will come back to this establishment the next time we come back to Chicago! Thanks Ivy your staff was incredible!!!!

Room Tip: Use Priceline for a great deal!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicole V

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for joining us at the IVY Hotel and for sharing the details of your stay. Thank you for noticing our attention to detail when it comes to our housekeeping standards. Thank you for the kind words about our staff; we're looking forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed December 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Ivy Boutique in down town Chicago. The staff was as friendly & helpful as any I have known. The front door was always opened. When I needed ice it was more than I needed. The staff was a wealth of information about Chicago. The room was deluxe, very contemporary with TVs in every room including one behind the mirror in the bathroom. The hotel only had 5 rooms per floor so there was only a short walk from the elevator to each room. The rooms were extremely quiet. The curtains & blinds were controled by buttons on the wall.The valet parking attendents were the best and the price was less than the surrounding hotels by $10. When I went back to my car the next day I was approached by an attendent to see if I was the owner, great security. The hotel is located about a block & a half from the magnififent mile (Michigan Ave) so we were able to walk around the mile easily. There were many good restaurants within walking distance for instance Lawrys was a block away. We will go back to the IVY Botique when in Chicago.

Room Tip: We got the last one a few days before arrival so plan and make reservations early.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Al G

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for joining us at the IVY Boutique Hotel. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the trip to our property and Chicago! We hope to see you on your next visit to Chicago.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Only stayed for 1 night but we will go back again. Small, contemporary & well-appointed hotel. Room was nice size with comfortable furniture. Sitting area, sleeping area, bar area & bathroom. Nice finishes. Staff very nice.

Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank J E
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking an opportunity to write a fantastic review about our property. Thank you for the kind words about our guestroom amenities and our staff. We wish you would join us on your next visit to downtown Chicago!

Reviewed December 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Ivy for our one year wedding anniversary in Nov 2013. The location was perfect. The room was nice, not as luxurious as the website and reviews make it sound, but very good for a downtown room. The service however was atrocious. The rooftop bar/lounge didn't exist...no one told us. When we went to check in, we discovered there was a substantial credit card hold (additional $350 on top of the cost of our room) that would be added to our card. While we worked on getting the funds into the correct account to give to them, the guy at the check in desk was EXTREMELY RUDE. Saying things like "May I ask how you planned on paying for dinner tonight if you don't have any money?" and "First time in the BIG city??" and "Have you never stayed at a nice hotel like this before?" SO incredibly rude. I have stayed at MANY nice hotels, 5 star hotels. Ritz Carlton, Hilton, etc....and have NEVER been treated this way. Ruined my evening. Brought me to tears. I will NEVER be back. And will NEVER refer this place to anyone. The definition of a HIGH CLASS HOTEL....is in how they treat their guests....not in their name or status. Horrible horrible HORRIBLE service. They should rethink the rude employee they have sitting at the desk. He was atrocious.

Room Tip: Avoid the check in desk.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Tamara P

Dear Guest,

Thank you for joining us at our property, the IVY Boutique Hotel. I'm sorry for the level of service that you encountered. In no way is that our standard at the Hotel. Our rooftop is an open air terrace and at the moment it is closed until warmer weather arrives in May 2014. At check-in we do authorize our guest's credit cards for the full amount of the stay in addition to an incidental authorization for mini bar items and valet parking. I hope you would reconsider and give our hotel a second chance to win you over!

T.312.335.5444