“Impressed from start to finish!”
Review of Ivy Boutique Hotel

Ivy Boutique Hotel
Ranked #89 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Apple Valley, Minnesota
“Impressed from start to finish!”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

From the moment at check in to check out, our experience at the Ivy will definitely bring us back. The location is perfect. Located just a couple of blocks off the Magnificent Mile, the Ivy is tucked away on a character filled street that suits its charm. We arrived early (prior to check in), and asked if they could hold our bags until we could get settled. Without hesitation, they were able to check us in early, and upgrade our room at no additional charge. The staff at the front desk was very courteous and efficient. I had asked for a room on a higher floor, and we were pleasantly surprised to get the 14th floor, just 2 floors below the roof. Our room was breath taking and extremely clean. The bathroom had a beautiful soaking tub, rain shower, and a TV built into the mirror, very modern. The living room area had floor to ceiling windows, with blinds that you controlled via a switch on the wall, a beautiful couch, lighting, desk, fast wifi, tv, and valet. The bedroom was crisp, clean, inviting, and incredibly comfortable. Another flat screen tv, high thread count sheets, and just the right amount of pillows. We had a little issue with our neighbors that were quite nosiy at 1a-2a, however, Joey handled the situation very professionally, promptly, and with the utmost care and concern. Without a doubt the staff and service will bring us back to this gem. The amazing room, amenities, roof top bar, location, and value, are just the icing on the cake. I will recommend the Ivy to everyone I know.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kristin P
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review about our property, the IVY Boutique Hotel. I’m happy that you enjoyed the Kind Suite and the employees that you interacted with. You are right about Joey, I'm glad he was able to assist. Thank you for recommending us and we hope to see you soon!

T. 312.335.5444

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband and I live in Chicago, but were wanting to stay in a nice hotel for a single night getaway. The IVY was the most reasonably priced out of the several we were looking at (Burnham Hotel, Palomar, and the Peninsula). In addition, I arrived earlier in the day to see if it was possible to drop off a bag in their coat check prior to checking in later on (check in was listed at 4pm). The staff was very courteous and informed us that the room wasn't ready, but offered to check us in anyway and also put my items in the coat check area. Shortly after leaving, we received a phone call informing us that our room was ready (mind you, I checked in with them at approximately 11am and they called us shortly after 12pm). When I stopped back in the early afternoon, I was informed by the front desk staff that our room had been upgraded. We ended up staying in the king suite. The bathroom was lovely and included a large soaking tub and a rainforest shower. The bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I have ever slept in and the room also included a lounge area, which was partitioned off from the bedroom. That evening, we met some friends on the rooftop for cocktails. The service was lacking a bit (I think our server forgot about us), but the atmosphere was nice for catching up with friends (music wasn't too loud and it wasn't too crowded for a Wednesday night). In addition, it was a perfect summer evening, so the open rooftop lounge allowed us to enjoy one of the last warm nights of summer before the arrival of fall. Overall, our intention was to have a relaxing one night getaway and based off of our experience at the IVY, our hope came to fruition.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent getaway to our property, the IVY Boutique Hotel. I'm delighted that we could check you into your room sooner than you anticipated and I'm very pleased to know that you enjoyed your accommodations. I hope you will join us again on your next staycation in the city.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed here overnight and was very surprised that this has a 4.5 star rating. This does not compare to the Conrad, Sofitel or even James which are real 4.5 star hotels. There are a couple of things that I liked about this hotel Location and the aesthetics of the room. Location is top notch, you cant go wrong with streeterville as tourist. I stayed in 301 (I think) and this is a room with 2 beds and a sitting area. Its like a small apartment minus the kitchen. The bathroom is really nice and big with rain shower. Tub is separate from the shower. The room is beautiful. The room is also quiet. There are only a few units per floor, its more of a thin tall building. Internet is free and reliable

Beyond that, theres really nothing that is worth commending. Service is ho hum, there is really no lobby, the front desk has one person most of the time, maybe 2 at times. The fridge doesnt really cool anything and it is so loud. Im not that impressed with this property.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank AlexisRF
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property, the IVY Boutique Hotel. I'm glad that you enjoyed your accommodations including the amenities within the room. I'm sorry that we fell short of your expectations. I hope you would give us a second chance to "WOW" you in the future!

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I've recently had the pleasure of staying at the Ivy Boutique Hotel and I was very impressed. Located conveniently minutes away from the magnificent mile, the overall feel of the place is very modern and luxurious. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. James made our check in very efficient, and hassle free. He was very polite and warm, making our interaction extremely pleasant. Our room was very tastefully decorated and very modern. Everything was exceptionally clean and perfectly polished. The rooms are very well stocked with all the essentials, and anything else you might need is just a phone call away. This hotel is a perfect balance between modern luxury and comfort, and that's a tough thing to accomplish. This has been, by far, one of my best hotel experiences.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you taking a moment to comment about your recent stay at the IVY Boutique Hotel. I'm delighted that you enjoyed the overall feel of our hotel and happy to hear that our staff was friendly and accommodating. It was pleasure to meet you during the check-in process. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Chicago!

Rochester, Michigan
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Ivy Boutique Hotel is an attractive alternative to the standard chain hotel experience. A little off beat but with a hip vibe and design esthetic. The best things are the rooms and the location two blocks off mag mile, 5 blocks from Navy Pier and the water tours, with an urban neighborhood feel unique to this part of downtown Chicago. No comparison the many "historic" overpriced relic properties trying to hold on to glory days with ostentatious but dated design queue's and stuffy ambiance with small rooms and smaller bathrooms in need of facelift. Those hotels know who they are. This hotel is for a younger demographic with a different idea of what a luxury hotel should offer starting with great service and attention to details. Well done Ivy. The only negative for me was no Cigar smoking on the rooftop lounge but some would see that as a positive.

Room Tip: Views of the city from many of the rooms will be underwhelming if my room was any indication
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property, the IVY Boutique Hotel. Thank you for wonderful comments about the service and amenities that you received during your stay. I’m happy that you noticed our twist on what a luxury property should provide. We hope to see you again in the near future!

San Diego, California
Reviewed September 3, 2013

When we first check in the front desk was rude to us. She mention that booked out hotel in hotel tonight with an attitude. We felt like she was judging us because we saved money. But other than her everyone was very helpful. Beautiful view of the city from the rooftop.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to comment on you recent stay at the IVY Boutique Hotel. On behalf of the front desk agent I apologize, I'm positive that was not her intention. I hope that you will visit us again in the future and of course join us for a beverage on our rooftop, SKY Terrace.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I am a Marriott gal all the way, so I hesitated to stay here with so many surrounding Marriott hotels, however I was attending a class and was coerced. From the moment I walked in, I was treated like a princess. It is very hard to excite me, however from the swanky lobby to the luxury rooms, with electronic curtain controls and turn-down service (which I haven't experienced in years, outside of Thailand last year) we were greeted with a tray with cookie options and a special note preparing us for the weather the following day.

Outside of the bizarre appearance of a brush in the bathroom and the bathroom mirror tv not working, I have nothing negative to say about this hotel. In all honesty, I have never been so excited about a hotel stay since my trip to Thailand. It's location was perfectly a block from my favorite Chicago restaurant and the infamous Garrett's, not to mention a block away from Magnificent Mile. Not to mention only 4 or 5 short blocks to the transit system (on the red line).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property the, IVY Boutique Hotel. I'm so happy that you we're willing to break the norm of chain hotel to try our wonderful boutique property. We hope to see you again in the near future!