“Mediocre”

Ranked #83 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Sea Bright
“Mediocre”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I arrived and was ignored for more than five minutes while the front desk was on a call - no acknowledgement of any sort. Got to my room to find my key didn't work. Finally got into my room - which was lovely and there's no where to plug in a computer, so in a business dress I climbed under the desk, unplugged the desk lamp and powered up my computer.

I attempted to visit the rooftop lounge around 9:30pm, which the front desk said was open, but it was closed and dark do I returned to my room.

Later in the evening (around 10pm) my neighbors came back to their room, and started yelling and playing music at full volume. I called down to ask to have my room moved, as it was clear this was not going to be easily stopped. The front desk would not allow me to move, but called and the music was turned down but the yelling continued. Around 3:00am, the music started up again, along with fighting in the hall and more yelling, both in the room and in the hall. This continued off and on throughout the early morning hours, without any response from management or security.

I'd hoped to get a little sleep on a business trip, but clearly this hotel management was not concerned, despite my calls.

Upon waking at 5:15am to catch my flight, I got in the shower - only to find there was almost no variance on the water temperature - my options were miserably hot or scalding.

All-in-all, this was an incredibly poor experience. It's a shame as the rooms are beautiful and the location is great. I intentionally stay in non-chain hotels, and expect there to be done quirkiness, but not disregard for customers' comfort.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Leesa E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I felt like I was the only person staying there and the hotel staff took forever to do anything. I left my drivers license and CC at the front desk when I checked in at midnight. I called first thing in the morning and 3 subsequent times to see if they had them and was told no each time. They couldnt find them until I was adamant... It was really annoying and almost shady..

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank NickFio
Ottawa
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed 5 nights at the Ivy. It was a little pricy but they had a promotion for a queen room upgraded to a king suite. The room was just beautiful! So much space! Everything was extremely clean, beautifully decorated. There was a safe in the closet, very handy for storing passports safely. The pillows were a little too thick for my taste so i asked if they had another model and it was delivered immediately. Terrific service. The bed is really comfy! They even put little fancy chocolates and/or cookies on the bed every night. Nice way to end the day!

The lobby is gorgeous and the rooftop terrace is a wonderful touch. The location could not be better. We were able to walk everywhere from the beach to millenium park. And there is a subway very close by so we were able to save the 60$ cab fare from the airport and take the subway for $2.25.

The staff are extremely professional and polite. Very friendly.

Things worth considering while in chicago: tour of wrigley field, chicago theatre tour, visit to millenium park, chicago symphony orchestra concerts in the park, Million dollar quartet musical, walk along michigan lake, etc.

The restaurants are wonderful as well. We are vegetarian and we had no problems at all finding delicious and healthy meals. The Grand Lux Cafe is a must. Make sure you save room for desert!! Beautiful decor and wonderful menu. Wildberry pankakes & cafe is a great breakfast place. You must get some popcorn at Garrett, just a block from the hotel... Your nose will not let you walk by without going inside!

Chicago was just beautiful... Flowers, trees, parks everywhere! I was quite impressed. Wonderful just walking around. Quite safe too, police on pretty much every corner on Magnificent Mile (Michigan ave).

If you're thinking of visiting the outlets, forget it unless you have a car. Over 1.5 hr drive and not easily doable on public transportation. But, there is some great shopping along Michigan ave.

2 Thank HoneyBear7
Lake Mills, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This hotel is a unique mix of pros and cons. I have stayed at multiple places in Chicago and know what the price range gets you...Pros are:location, stylish atmosphere, great "rain" showers, spacious rooms, rooftop bar. Cons are: no concierge service so don't ask too much of the front desk staff ( they are very friendly but not very knowledgeable), the beds are platform with no box spring and very very HARD. The furniture in the room is so hard there are no comfortable places to actually sit unless you sit up on the bed. The food served in the rooftop is brought up in the elevator by staff, the food is uncovered. We watched as we rode up in a crowded elevator as the staff member brought a plate of chicken to a guest. For the price, we would look elsewhere.

Room Tip: This room has three categories of rooms. There are rooms with only one queen bed and no view at all...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank michele0610
Okatie, South Carolina
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We can't say enough good things about the hotel and it's staff. The king suite was awesome... lots of room to spread out. Nightly turn down service with cake pops welcomed us after a hard day of sightseeing. The curtains closing with push of button was very cool. Room and hotel very sleek and modern. Staff very helpful in pointing out not only good places to eat but other attractions and how to best get there. No need for a car. Between walking, a few cabs and the red line we were set. My husband left his book there, after calling and learning housekeeping had it, it was mailed to us within two days of our phone call. Housekeeping did a thorough job each day. The roof top lounge with the propane heaters was a fun way to end the evening.

1 Thank KathyO29909
Crystal Lake, Illinois
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I was extremely upset when I first arrived, but then quickly became a fan. Besides my initial encounter with the non-present valet, which i will talk about later, the hotel staff was very welcoming, accommodating, and friendly.
The room was clean, spacious, and offered much more than i expected with a separate and very spacious living area. Bathroom is lovely with a tv in the mirror.

Valet.... grrrr. I had been waiting for the valet for over twenty minutes. I circled the block three times as it was heavy traffic, and no cut in for valet waiting... After my third circle around, I pulled in and STILL no valet. I decided to call the hotel and ask if they in fact, had a valet on duty.
While on the call.....I received a lovely bright light in the face, the Chicago Police, welcoming me to the great city of Chicago. Two tickets later, the valet came out. Granted, the valet tried to talk the cop out of ticketing me for standing in a loading zone... I still was ticketed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The Ivy Boutique Hotel located 1+1/2 blocks from the magnificent mile is centrally located, has a great staff and is very chic. The staff always greeted us and went out of their way to point us towards the many attractions to see and the varied restaurants to experience. An unbelievable feature was one of our 3 tv's located in the mirror of our bathroom. So cool. Each nite we would receive chocolates and a card noting the weather for the next day and a friendly greeting in the morning.

1 Thank albertcoheny