“IVY was fabulous - loved it!!”
Review of Ivy Boutique Hotel

Ivy Boutique Hotel
Ranked #92 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Atlanta, GA
“IVY was fabulous - loved it!!”
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

I wanted to treat my daughter to a special weekend in Chicago. Upon reading some great reviews about the Ivy Boutique Hotel - I booked it for us! My booking was through Hotwire - then when I called the hotel to ask about rooms with 2 beds - I was offered an upgrade to a 2 Queen suite for an additional $40 per night which was WELL worth it!!!! While I am sure the regular room would have been fine - the suite doubled our space from around 300 sq. ft to 675 sq. ft - adding in a beautiful living room and a larger bathroom with 2 sinks, a huge tub and a magnificent marble shower stall. We did not want to leave the bathroom! Although that might sound funny - it was so luxurious! The rain shower head in the marble shower was divine - and there was also a European-style sprayer. The base was a beautiful marble slab raised above the normal floor. The bathroom included a tv in the mirror - projected from behind the mirrror. The only downside to the bathroom was a dark smokey gray mirror that you could barely see yourself in. The hotel has plans to replace all of these mirrors.

The beds were comfortable with a flat screen tv mounted on the wall - convenient light switches accessible from each bed - and nice wood floors. The living room area also had a large flatscreen tv - with a sofa and very modern and comfortable velvet chair, as well as a large desk workspace and coffee table. It was a huge living room - not a mini-space!

In between the bedroom there is a small wetbar, counter and refrigerator. Although the mini-bar is stocked with the typical too-expensive goodies, they didn't care if you moved everything out to cool your own food. We used the Keurig coffeemaker a ton.

Check-in: The hotel is tiny and the lobby is one tiny counter but we were checked in quickly and efficiently. I had called in advance and had spoken to Amy who was quite helpful in guiding me with my room and floor selection. I had read that the lower floors sometimes had food and oil odors from nearby restaurants. Amy told me that if I wanted a suite with 2 Queen beds rather than one King....my only choice was the 2nd floor - she gave me the choice of a street view which could be noisier or a back view (alley?) that was quieter. I chose the street view and there was NO audible noise at all! Amy was helpful each time I needed something. I had great service from Ilana with a few requests - she was eager to be sure that we were happy and pleased with every single thing. Albert greeted me by name and a smile at all times. We chose to valet our car with the hotel even though it was $48 per day (ouch!) because we needed in/out service which you can't get from a public lot. The valet guys were super friendly and pretty quick. We were asked to give 10-15 minutes notice when we needed our car and it was never any longer. They park the cars in a covered parking deck nearby. I wish the valet guys were waiting when we pulled up - but it really wasn't a huge big deal to run into the hotel to get them.

We took a peak at the ballrooms on the 15th floor - just for the fun of it. They had beautiful chandeliers and were nice. There were 2 small ballrooms which would be nice for a smallish private party - but not large enough for a wedding type event.

We didn't use the room-service nor did we eat in the lobby restaurant as the prices were way too steep. We grabbed breakfast food from West Egg Cafe which is a few doors down and also ate at Yolk which is a few blocks away. There is a Starbucks about 3 blocks east and Michigan Avenue is only about 1 block west - phenomenal location!!!

Little bonus - most nice hotels don't include free wifi internet - yet the Ivy did! Nice! And...each evening, along with turn-down service - they left a plate with a few little cookies or desserts!

Overall - we LOVED the Ivy!!!! I would highly recommend it for any stay in Chicago! The location is the BEST for shopping, sighseeing, eating out, etc. The staff wanted to please the patrons, and the rooms were amazing!!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Varda C
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write an amazing review about our property on TripAdvisor. We are so happy that you enjoyed the decor of the hotel as well as our personalized service! Thank your for recommending us to others and we hope to welcome you back in the near future!

T. 312.335.5444

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Atlanta
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Very small hotel, but incredibly nice. We upgraded upon arrival doubling our room size which I thought was well worth it. I don't think paying more to be higher up was worth it as there is nothing really to view except a different person's apartment :) The bathroom was amazing.. huge tub and bath salts were a nice touch. No bathtub if you get the basic queen. Weird lighting on the mirror, but that didn't really matter. Some people complained about there being no hot water.. I thought so at first too, but realized it was just an uber modern knob system on the shower. Press down on the button and turn left and voila! hot water :) Nice turn down service with different mini desserts every night. 2 Blocks from Michigan Ave, but on a quiet residential street. I thought it was great.. especially for the price.

Room Tip: Don't worry about getting a high floor.. there is no difference in views..
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at the Ivy Boutique Hotel on TripAdvisor. Your very right, our 675 Sq. Ft. King Suites are over double the size of our 315 Sq. Ft Queen Studios. I'm very glad that you enjoyed the deep sea salt soaking tub, it's one of my favorite features of the room. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future!

Bloomington-Normal, Illinois
Reviewed December 27, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Ivy Hotel. We had a wonderful experience. At check-in we were told that we were upgraded from a queen room to a king suite at no cost. We were also given two complimentary drink tickets for making the reservation through your hotel directly. My husband has recently been undergoing treatment at Northwestern Hospital for cancer. Because we live over a hundred miles away, we will often stay the night at one of the nearby hotels in order to attend early morning appointments a the hospital. We have stayed in several of the hotels near the hospital, and our recent stay at the Ivy by far exceeded our experiences at all of the other hotels. We really appreciated the upgrade to the King suite, it made our stay a luxurious and relaxing experience and made our recent trip for my husband's treatment much more enjoyable.

1 Thank SB5409
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write an amazing review about our property, the Ivy Boutique Hotel. I'm so glad that we were able to brighten your day with the complimentary upgrade! I wish you and your husband all the best of luck and I hope we can be your home away from home on your next visit to Chicago!

Farmington Hills MI
Reviewed December 25, 2012

The rooms at the Ivy Boutique Hotel were gorgeous! The hotel is just a little more than a block off Michigan Ave. The decor in the lobby was beautiful. This is a small hotel with very personalized service. Great stay!

Room Tip: Our only complaint about our stay was we had some very loud neighbors partying at 2 am and the walls...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank princessnpeaches
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at the IVY Boutique Hotel on TripAdvisor. I'm very glad that you enjoyed the decor within our lobby and our personalized service. We hope to welcome back to the hotel in the near future!

Grand Rapids
Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

Great location. A block and half from Michigan ave. Close to shopping great restaurants and fun bars. Small and intimate. Excellently appointed. Rooms were very nice. Tasteful and elegant Cozy bar downstairs with a helpful staff to help point you in the right direction to go for night on the town. Not exactly kid friendly, but the staff was very helpful with our requests.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank CptRedleg
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences at the Ivy Boutique Hotel on TripAdivsor. We are so glad you enjoyed your room and our lobby bar. The bar is a great place to warm up on a cold Chicago winter day. I'm glad that you think the same way!

DeKalb, IL
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I had the pleasure of spending a night at the Ivy Boutique and thought this hotel must be one of Chicago's finest. The staff was pleasant, helpful & accommodating. The rooms are fabulous - especially the bathroom that has a shower, spa tub & tv in the mirror. The room was clean and I was delighted to come back in the evening to bed turn down & snack on the night stand. This hotel has only been open for about 6 months but I was extremely impressed. We were meeting family for the Holidays & capped off the evening sitting in the bar area - bartender was nice and although I felt drinks were a bit overpriced, had a great time! Our family decided this should be an annual holiday event for us so will look forward to another delightful stay at this hotel. Oh, I should mention I have stayed at other hotels in Chicago & this hotel surpassed them all!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank libraryldy
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a great review about our property on TripAdvisor. I'm very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. It's an honor to be a part of your new family tradition! Hopefully we'll get opportunity to welcome you and your family back to the hotel!

Sioux Falls, SD
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We went to Chicago for the Johnny Mathis Christmas concert, so arrived on a Friday late afternoon and left Sunday night. We found out that this establishment has only been open for 6 months...they couldn't have impressed us more! From the moment you pull up, (valet parking is $48/day unlimited ins and outs - the parking ramp close by is $38/day...well worth the extra $10!) Hamza was an awesome bellboy and always greeted us with a smile. Check-in went smoothly and Juan was very helpful and upgraded us from a queen studio to a king suite for $40/night. Well worth it! The rooms are rich, modern, large, and have everything you need! The bathroom has a huge tile shower and a large soaking tub...and a cool TV built in the mirror :-) The bed is one of the most comfortable I've every slept in! The room darkening blinds worked so well (on a remote switch...cool!) that you couldn't tell when morning arrived! Christopher, at the front desk took care of finding us great places to eat (when we looked them up on tripadvisor, they were 30 and 31 out of 4560 restaurants in Chicago!) The location was great, just 2 blocks to the Magnificent Mile. We would highly recommend this hotel to everyone! Service and style were outstanding!

Room Tip: The master suite was well worth the extra money!
2 Thank home4056
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the opprotunity to write an amazing review about our property, the Ivy Boutique Hotel. Thank you for the kind words about our staff as well. I'm glad they provided you with excelent service! My staff and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future!