“Fave new hotel in Chicago!”
Review of Ivy Boutique Hotel

Ivy Boutique Hotel
Ranked #89 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“Fave new hotel in Chicago!”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I love boutique hotels so I was excited to try out a stay at the Ivy. From the moment my husband and I walked in, we felt like we were in a mini cosmopolitan hotel (Vegas) - the decor is just so beautiful and clean. You can tell this place is all about customer service, everyone was so nice and helpful, felt like I was at a 5 star hotel. Excellent staff, down to the bellman and the maids! Even though we had to wait until 3 for our room, it was perfectly fine because this hotel has the best freakin location ever. Steps away from everything Chicago. We booked a studio room and it was just so cute and comfy and best of all- clean!! Amazing shower and loved the lighting throughout the room. Also loved coming back in the evening to some cookies and brownies, very nice touch. I am so excited to come back and stay here. I felt like the whole stay was worth the price, which was very reasonable considering the location. We also had a chance to chill out on their roof terrace while the sun was still out and again received amazing service amongst a serene comfy atmosphere... All in all,I think I've finally found my favorite boutique hotel in Chicago and I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is reading this! Can't wait to book my next trip :)

1 Thank nsk210
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the amazing review about our property. We are so glad you enjoyed the decor and service from our staff. If you visit us in the future please book with us directly, we would be happy to give you our best available rate!

T. 312.335.5444

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Prior Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights on a little Chicago getaway. The front desk was helpful and courteous, the rooms were clean, pretty and functional and the roof top bar was very fun! We thoroughly enjoyed our entire experience! Thank you, Ivy!!

Room Tip: We stayed in a King Suite.
1 Thank roseee311
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at the Ivy Boutique Hotel. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and wish you would return upon your next visit to Chicago.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed at the Ivy while I was in town to attend the Prince Welcome to Chicago tour and it was a lovely experience.

We arrived late Sunday evening and immediately were offered an upgrade to a King Suite (vs. the standard room we booked on Hotels.com) for a mere $50. Totally worth it because the suite was amazing! A separate sitting room with remote control blinds and beautiful furniture. Also a well stocked mini-bar, but of course everything was an arm and a leg. Large bathroom with a soaking tub and rainforest shower stall (SN- I saw a couple of comments about the temperature of the shower, it's actually just a somewhat tricky faucet, but the water gets really hot). Bedroom was beautiful with a King size platform bed. We didn't partake in the gym (which is actually down the street, but they give you as many passes as you like), but did visit the rooftop bar. We didn't get food, so I can't comment on the wait that many people have complained about, but our drinks came very quickly and were really good ($13, but that's normal for Downtown Chicago). The rooftop itself is GORGEOUS with plenty of heat lamps for chillier Fall days and lots of ambiance.

Check in and check out were smooth and the staff was very accommodating to any requests (example, they didn't have an iron in the room, but brought one up quickly when requested) that we had.

The only downfall of this stay was everything to do with transportation. While the hotel does have Valet (despite what other reviews say) they actually appear to use another hotel's service, which makes the wait very long even if you call in advance. It was difficult to get a taxi also (granted it was late, but most Downtown hotels have taxis on call), though the Bellman was willing to help.

All in all, I recommend this place (especially if you can get a good rate), it's in a great location and the pros far outweigh the cons.

Pros- Great service, beautiful rooms, fantastic rooftop bar and great turndown service with treats
Cons- Valet Parking and Taxi Issues

Room Tip: See if you can get an upgrade upon check-in, top floors offer limited but nice city views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the IVY Boutique Hotel on TripAdvisor. I hope you enjoyed the concert, I heard it was a great show! I'm glad you enjoyed our rooftop as well. It's a perfect place to enjoy this wonderful fall weather were having! I also hope we can welcome you back to the hotel the next time you’re in Chicago.

New York City, New York
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I travel alot for work and frequent Chicago often so I have had the chance to experience alot of hotels in the area. First off, you can't beat the location... Right off of Michigan Avenue, shopping, great food, entertainment... Second, the service I received was second to none. All of the staff was very professional and accomodating. The turn down service with the cookies was great and a nice way to end my busy day. The suite with a separate living room was gorgeous, relaxing and very luxurious.The bed was quite comfortable and the shower water pressure was amazing! (A lot of times large hotels experience issues with this) I could tell a lot of detail and thought was put into this hotel. And this hotel is green!
After relaxing for a bit, I went up to the rooftop bar and it was a sight to be seen! Great views and great music created a serene ambiance.

Best hotel I have stayed at in a long time. Good things really do come in small packages!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Maria P
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the wonderful review about IVY Boutique Hotel. We are so glad you had opportunity to come stay at our new property. If you travel frequently to Chicago and would like to stay with us again feel free to call us directly. We take care of all repeat guests. Your right "good things really do come in small packages," and were glad you noticed!

bakewell
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Spent a week in the Ivy - found the room to be very modern, lovely furnishings and a stunning bathroom with an amazing shower. The bed was comfortable and on the whole I cannot really fault the room.

The main issue with the hotel is that it is poorly insulated and there are real sound problems. The cleaning staff woke us up every morning at 6.45am with constant door slamming and talking as they set about their daily duties. This was relentless even though we got out of bed to ask them to understand that we were trying to sleep. We also mentioned this to the staff on reception - nothing was done but I can appreciate they can't magically solve what is essentially an issue with the design of the building. There was a clear gap under our door, which was also very thin..... Which meant we weren't in total privacy within our room as we were always aware of a presence outside our doorway! When we were waiting for the lift we could hear other people's conversations very clearly - which really isn't normal or acceptable for a hotel of this standard.

We had drinks at the rooftop bar, which was lovely, but the music was awful.

The Ivy nearly gets it spot on, but the noise issue really spoilt things for me as I want to enjoy a decent nights sleep on holiday and I didn't get that here. Also, this hotel is not cheap.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I recently visited Chicago and was lucky to book the last room available in the city during the imts show. costly deal but I landed a great room at the ivy hotel. Super comfortable bed, spacious room, and bathroom. Overall great experience. The hotel staff was very helpful and professional. I enjoyed my time at the ivy and looking forward to come back in the future.

• Stayed September 2012
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I have yet to critique a hotel as my experiences to date have been pleasant,. However, I felt compelled to write this review to recount my absolutely horrible experience at the Ivy Boutique Hotel, in Chicago.

After driving a long 14hrs from Canada to Chicago, our group was extremely excited to get to our room and get ready for the Bruce Springsteen concert. Upon arriving at the hotel at 2:45PM, with a pre-booked room (with credit card), we were informed that our room was not ready yet. The gentleman at the front desk radioed housekeeping asking if room 405 was ready and unfortunately it was not. Considering the actual check-in time was 4PM we weren’t apprehensive to go walk around for an hour or so. When 4PM rolled around we came back to the hotel and were informed that it was still not ready. The front desk agent suggested we go to the roof top terrace to enjoy a beverage etc. while we waited once again. As we were becoming pressed for time about 4:15pm we decided to just have a bite to eat and drink on the terrace as we wouldn’t have time to all get ready and go out for dinner before the show.

After another hour passed with no information about the room I proceeded to go to the front desk once again. I waited in line behind four grown women who seemed just as eager to get to their room. The front desk agent seemed a little flustered as I over heard him state he was “switching some things around” to his concierge colleague. As he handed the keys to the party in front of me he mentioned the room 405. I thought that 405 was supposed to be our room?! As I continued to the desk I was informed that they unfortunately didn’t have a room for us anymore, and that they were switching us to a hotel down the street. What is frustrating about the situation is the front desk deliberately gave our room away. As I asked the agent “Wasn’t that supposed to be our room?” he retorted with “That room only has one bed. Didn’t you want two?” He blatantly lied to my face as clearly four grown ladies would not stay in a room with one bed. Then he continued to insinuate that we could not afford to stay there by repeatedly mentioning that the Double Tree Hilton, that they were sending us to up the street, was a “much cheaper rate” of $199 per night. If I had intended to book a cheaper hotel, I would have booked a cheaper hotel! Furthermore, when the hotel bill came on my credit card, I was charged for the initial rate of $392.67. Clearly my friends and I (whom are all in our twenties) were profiled, as our appearances after a very long car trip were not up to Ivy standards. This form of ageism is absolutely ridiculous and it would have been a different story had we showed up with Louis Vuitton suitcases.

We left the rooftop patio in haste as we were in crunch time to get ready for the concert. We felt the hotel should at least take care of our patio bill as they made us wait over 3 hours when they could have initially told us there was no room. The manager then came out and explained that there was a leak in one of the rooms and that we had to pay our patio bill because the Ivy rooftop patio bar was not affiliated with their hotel. If the room was supposed to be ready by 4PM, why then when we returned at 4PM were we told that it would soon be ready instead of just telling us there was a leak? Clearly something fishy was going on, as they either over-booked or gave our room to someone else. As an individual who has worked in the Hotel and Hospitality industry for over 10 years, I was utterly disgusted with how my friends and I were treated. I will never be booking a room at the Ivy Boutique Hotel again and will continue to tell my story to people who are visiting Chicago. Do not stay at this hotel!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
22 Thank kaiths
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the IVY Boutique hotel on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry the hotel was not to your liking. I'd be happy to talk to you personally about your experiences. Please email me at you convenience.

Kind regards,