“Modern, new hotel”

Ranked #92 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Detroit, Michigan
“Modern, new hotel”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Overall the hotel was nice. My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night this past weekend. I purchased a Groupon (like many others) for a king-suite. Even though the weekend was great and I don't have any complaints, I would not pay full price for the room. I just did not feel it was worth that much.

The customer service was very good. We pulled up in front of the hotel to unload our bags and within seconds a gentleman was there with a rolling luggage rack to assist. Every time we stepped out of the elevator to go out into the city someone asked if they could get a cab for us. The check-in/out process was seamless & very easy.

The roof top bar was nice & cozy. Not that big but did have a great view of the city. It was cool to know this building is considered the smallest skyscraper.

The hotel & room was very modern by design. The bathroom was great, including the standalone shower with rainfall shower head. The tub was very deep. Dual sinks - awesome! Best part...TV in the mirror above the sinks! That was an extremely nice touch.

The bed & pillows were super comfortable. In a city like Chicago where we are on our feet all day, it's nice to come back to a bed as comfortable as this one.

The location could not have been more perfect. It was within walking distance to everything - Magnificent Mile, Millennium Park, Navy Pier, & great restaurants.

Overall this was an awesome experience & I would most definitely return if another Groupon or similar discount was offered.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
New Jersey
Reviewed July 29, 2012

This hotel is such a great find! It was just beautiful throughout. The room was amazing. I could have lounged in the bathroom the entire visit, but the shower was my favorite with the cascade shower. There was even a TV in the bathroom mirror. The bed was comfy, the room was very large (but I think we were in a suite), and there were 2 flatscreen tvs. The blinds and curtains were remote controlled. The room was very very comfortable. We just loved staying there. The staff was attentive and pleasant. I look forward to returning.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful compliments of our hotel! I am happy to hear that you had a comfortable stay, and that you enjoyed the amenities with in our rooms. We hope to help you back at the IVY Boutique Hotel within the near future!

T: 312.335.5444
Chagrin Falls
Reviewed July 28, 2012

This hotel is beautiful with modern rooms, high tech amenities and a great location. The roof top lounge has a rare view and the staff has moments of graciousness. However, for as much as I appreciated the rain shower, tv in the bathroom mirror and brand new accommodations, the truth is that customer service and a lack of a cohesive plan can ruinen the experience. We experienced both but remember the moment of being rudely told to vacate a roof top table because the manager had some undisclosed reserved seating plan invisible to the guests. Paying for two rooms for the weekend did not seem to insulate us from the chaos. The staff awkwardly brought us two bills, as if we were attempting to avoid one of the two and continued to strain any good faith created by the fresh and lovely property. This hotel has so much potential in need of some strong management guidance.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank DebfromOhio
Kettering, Ohio
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We planned a weekend stay in Chicago coordinating an outing to a Cubs game and an overnight visit to a local hotel using a Groupon discount. The Ivy was advertised as a new, unique hotel in a central downtown area and the coupon made it affordable. Little did we know what a terrific bargain we really got until we got to the hotel. From the time I contacted them to make my reservation to the time we checked out we were treated with outstanding service. Tiffany
even purchased train passes for us to get to the Cubs game in advance of our arrival since
timing was an issue. We stayed in a King Suite that was beautifully decorated and comfortable. The rainfall showerhead made me never want to leave and the depth of the soaking bathtub
was to die for. Definitely a gem in a great area. Walking distance to anything you'd need. All of the staff was eager to help and always greeted us with a smile. Two thumbs up!

1 Thank mrsdolittle714
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about the IVY Boutique Hotel on TripAdvisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed the service from our staff and I will be sure to pass on your kind words to them. Please visit us in near future so that you enjoy our new Rooftop Lounge, SKY Terrace located on the 16th floor.

T: 312.335.5444
Galena, Illinois
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed at the Ivy for one quick night in July, booked on points for free via UAL. While the hotel itself was very nice - clean, comfortable bed, big bathroom, nice staff - I found it to be rather lacking in atmosphere and charm. But honestly, there's really no fault there. Everyone has different tastes, and this just wasn't my cup of tea.

We had a king suite. It was very spacious and well appointed. I agree with the other comments about the rugs. The bathroom was nice as well, but I found that it was a bit dim, and perhaps needed more lighting. I could not get the TV in the loo to work either, but it wasn't really an issue - I just wanted to turn it on for the sake of turning it on.

I didn't expect there to be valet parking of any sort, so parking half block away wasn't a problem. We're locals (western burbs) and are familiar enough with the city and parking that we were able to find a good spot quickly.

Bottom line, it's a very nice hotel, and was great for the price (in my case, free) with an excellent location. I don't think I'd return, however, because I just never felt comfortable.

2 Thank msimon71
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel here on TripAdvisor. We enjoy all the feedback we get from our guests and we try to implement new procedures with all the feedback we receive. If you get a chance please visit us before the end of summer so that you may enjoy our new Rooftop Lounge, Sky Terrace.

T: (312)335-5444
FLL
Reviewed July 23, 2012

What a treasure to stumble on when traveling weekly. This hotel is located walking distance to everything needed in downtown Chicago and only 2 blocks from the lake. It is a boutique hotel with only 6 rooms per floor. The rooms are elegant and tranquil. The staff is warm and attentive making staying in the windy city feel like you are staying at home. I plan to make this my hotel for all future trips to Chicago. Oh and they are new and gave me a tour through the banquest rooms being finished. They are spectacular! I hope to hold a small evernt there in the future. ALso important to me is access to a GYM. They provide a full service gym pass located a block away.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the suite on the top floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Janice R
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the IVY Boutique Hotel on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and we hope that we can become your home away from home when you are in Chicago. Feel free to contact me; I'd love to hear about the small event you are planning in the future.

Tel: (312) 335-5444
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed July 23, 2012

They only recently opened and there were some technical problems (TV, air con, internet). Worse, the room smelled like sewage a couple times! And there were some other, smaller issues.

But, the staff was nice (if not super competent), the room was large and mostly nice, the bed was really comfy, and the shower incredible.

It's in the real touristy section of town, surrounded by other hotels and near the Rainforest Cafe.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank xyyzSF
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the IVY Boutique Hotel and I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy you experience to the fullest. I would be happy to discuss your stay further with you. Please feel free to contact me by email at your convenience.

Tel: (312) 335-5444