“Lovely Experience”
Review of RPM Italian

RPM Italian
Reserve with OpenTable
RPM Italian is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 9,548 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Dearborn & Illinois
Transit: Grand Ave. Red Line
Description: RPM Italian presents cuisine that is modern in approach and Italian in spirit, with dishes intended to be shared. Chef partner Doug Psaltis has created a menu which features a variety of cold and hot antipasti, more than a dozen freshly prepared in-house pastas, and a selection of salads, prime steaks, chops and slow-roasted meats. The restaurant also has an open bar area where guests can order a signature cocktail, or enjoy a glass of wine from their extensive list. Sophisticated and chic, yet unpretentious, RPM Italian is perfect for a great meal or late night out.
Neenah, Wisconsin
“Lovely Experience”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Made a reservation via Open Table with no problems. We arrived slightly early and did wait for our table. We were seated and sat for a while before any attention. That changed after it was decided who would wait on us. We received our drinks right away and they were delicious. After the menu was explained to us we settled on garlic bread, which was wonderful. Then we received one pasta plate of pisciotto tortellini. There were 5 pieces so I was taken back. It was good but not what I expected. When they cleared my plate along with utensils, I was worried but my nerves were calmed. Then the asparagus was delivered. We were told to let it sit and wait for the next pasta. We choose not to, so we ate the veggie while it was hot. It was also good. We were worried we would walk away from the table unsatisfied.

Then the last pasta dish arrived. The homemade cavatelli. It was absolutely marvelous. The meat was just a enough. The pasta was great and the sauce was wonderful. I could have ordered another plate of this one.

We did order expresso (very, very small portion) and coffee ( very, very large portion). This was odd. We had the peach dessert special and lemon sorbetto. Way too much sorbetto but just enough peach dessert.

We are glad we had this experience and might take family again just to have the experience again. But be warned. Small pasta portions so order more than what you get at typical restaurant. Order to share.

Enjoy

Visited July 2013

• Polish first
orlando
“Average taste, small portions”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

RPM has a great atmosphere but that is where most of the good ends. The food is average in terms of flavor, nothing great but nothing terrible. My husband ordered a pizza that came out of the oven burnt and so small, it would feed a 3 year old child, not an adult.

• Visited July 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Poor experience”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We were very excited to try this restaurant because we are huge fans of Bill and Giulianna. We made a reservation and were told they only had a 930pm available on Sunday night. We arrived on time and the restaurant was more than half empty. We were very impressed with the decor and ambiance. The waitress that approached us was not very friendly. Anyways we both ordered a pasta dish. While I was eating the black ink crab spaghetti I noticed something hard in my mouth. It was a long piece of plastic. I called the waitress over and she sent the manager. The manager was very apologetic however denied that it was plastic. She recommended another pasta however I told her to surprise me with any of the salads. I ended up with the Brussel sprout salad which was great (even though no one came to ask how it was).The bill came and we were very shocked to see the salad on the bill. Anyways, we paid cash and when we got our change the waitress had given us $10 less than the correct amount. It was not a good experience and we will not be returning. There are tons of great restaurants in that area and if they want some advice they should step up their customer service and take off those ugly white blazers.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Robin B
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Cuisine that merits attention”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

RPM is in its' moment in the Chicago dining scene. It is a restaurant where it is currently more important to be seen than it is to dine. OK, scenesters have at it, but after you move on to the next hot spot, let foodies enjoy the cuisine. It is pricey but imaginative diners can concoct an exciting taste adventure from the items on this menu. With some traditional Italian favorites mixed with more contemporary treats.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Mike C
Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent meal!”
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

We ate here on 6/30. I ordered the roman artichokes, bread with ricotta and sauce, and ricotta ravioli with asparagus. My husband had a salad, spaghetti and meatballs, broccoli I, and a Bellini. The food and service was excellent. The only negative was that the wait staff clears all utensils and plates between each course, which became a little disruptive after a while (I.e., almost too attentive). The food was outstanding, and I will definitely return if in the Chicago area again.

Visited June 2013