“Great Hotel”

Renaissance Chicago O'Hare Suites Hotel
Ranked #79 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed August 24, 2007

This was our first visit to Chicago, so we didn't know what to expect. We wanted a hotel which matched our needs, and we found it. The Renaissance was a comfortable hotel, had a free shuttle from the airport and the breakfast (using the "Stay for Breakfast" rate) made a great start to the day. We didn't want a car in the city, and we didn't need one....the Blue Line train was a short walk away from the hotel and although admittedly it did take a long time to reach downtown Chicago, apparently they are working towards fixing this. We were here for 3 days, a 3 day train ticket cost us $12 each....great value!! In a city like Chicago, all hotels are going to be expensive, so we chose to stay close to O'Hare, where the rates are cheaper and we think we had great value for money.
There didn't seem a lot to do in the immediate area, but the hotel served meals (which we didn't try, except for the breakfast) and if you are using the hotel as an overnight before a flight or a base to explore the city the lack of surrounding restaurants or entertainment wouldn't be a problem. Ok, so it's not in the heart of the city, but what it lacks in central location it certainly makes up for in comfort, cleanliness and accessibility. The reception staff are excellent too...on arrival we asked the best way to get to the White Sox stadium, and almost before we had closed our door, the same receptionist was at the door with a computer printout. We wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, or recommend this hotel to our friends.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JanH775

Reviewed August 12, 2007

My husband and I did the park and fly and it was great. The shuttle ran on time and when we returned we called and they came with in 15 minutes. We were in the international terminal. The room was great and it had a couch too. The shower was very big. Our car was parked in a covered garage. We will use it the next time we fly.

3  Thank iep
Reviewed August 6, 2007

We used Parksleepfly.com to book this hotel. A great deal. A wonderful, large and clean room for a great price. $140 for 5 days of parking, free airport shuttle and hotel for one night. The staff was very friendly and informative. The hotel is a very short walk to an "L" stop with easy access into the city. The shuttle employees were very nice and even made a special stop for us to get drinks and snacks at a little store down the street!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank csoellinger
Reviewed August 4, 2007

If you use Trip Advisor much, you may know how many reviews I write. I travel significantly for business and write a review after almost every stay. I stayed at this hotel with my family (5 rooms total) and this, by far, was my worst experience all year. Here is the text of an e-mail I wrote to their business sales manager and director of operations. It sums up my experience.

Molly – You have a tough job. I booked 5 rooms for a family get together this past weekend at your property and we don’t plan on ever coming back. While you’re e-mail is addressed to my father-in-law because he came in on Thursday, I’m the GOLD Marriott member. I’ll be platinum later this year, I’m platinum with Holiday Inn, and Silver with Hilton. I can tell you for a FACT, your hotel is the WORST property I’ve stayed at all year.

On Saturday, I spoke with the manager twice about all of the hotel problems and nothing of substance was done. The manager even told me he’d have the Front Desk Manager contact me when they came in because they had more seniority. No contact was ever made.

If you care to improve your property, here’s some pointers.

1)Train the front desk to acknowledge the reward members. All the survey’s I get from Marriott ask this question, your hotel didn’t say a word.
2)I had two rooms in my name and you placed us on the 4th and 12th floors. I thought maybe the property was so booked that’s all that was left but my brother-in-law checked in after I did and was placed on the 12th floor. He had the same room type as our room on the 4th.
3)When my teenage son was making his bed up he found only a blanket in the “extra” bedding packet. A call to your service line resolved it but we never should have needed to make the call. We’ve stayed in numerous properties where he’s used the extra bedding and this is the first time sheets were missing.
4)Whoever decided “cool” and “warm” are good choices for HVAC obviously never stays in a hotel. Not having a digital HVAC system is a disgrace!
5)I did not have a morning paper.
6)You charge for the internet, another disgrace. Charging for the internet is similar to the “energy” charges hotels tried several years ago. This may look like a money maker now, but travelers remember when properties take advantage of them via fees. This is an unjustified fee and will come back to haunt you in the long run.
7)Our room had a wet spot on the floor between the beds when we checked in.
8)Saturday morning there were no towels for the pool. I had to wait more than 20 minutes after asking the front desk.
9)The hot tub in your pool area didn’t work.
10)After returning to our room from the pool Saturday morning, we found over a half dozen insects of some sort on the walls and ceiling of our room. The on duty manager captured them in a cup for your maintenance staff.
11)When we started to shower up on Saturday morning the tub handle fell off. I showed this to your manager on duty and maintenance staff when they were removing the bugs from our room and they promised to fix it. A simple screw is all that was needed. The job was never completed.

The manager on duty suggested I e-mail john Harper with my concerns, which I’ve done because this property is an embarrassment to the Marriott name. However, your staff, through their inattention to my issued, has created a significant amount of ill will. When I check into a Marriott property, I have a set of expectations. Those expectations are based on my pervious experiences at Marriott properties. All that I can conclude from my experience is that Mr. Harper doesn’t’ know how to manage a hotel or you have serious staffing issues. Either way something needs to change if you plan on succeeding. Many people will try your hotel because of its proximity to the airport, Marriott name, etc. Anyone who has the experience our group does will never come back.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
11  Thank FrqTravlr
Reviewed July 19, 2007

Great hotel. Excellent locations not that far from Rosemont theater, Donald E. Steven conventation center, O'hare or Chicago Downtown.

Execllent service..

Stayed: January 2007
4  Thank siliconvalleyking
Reviewed July 10, 2007

I stayed one night at the Renaissance Chicago O'Hare Suites, June 23, 2007.

I took the free shuttle from the O’Hare airport, and I was waiting 20 min before the shuttle showed up to take me to the Renaissance Chicago O'Hare Suites.

When I was going back to the airport the shuttle was in time and it worked very well.

I stayed in a standard room with a king bed.

It was clean, fresh, had a safe, it was large enough for me, the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was very big, and it was good water pressure in the shower.

It was very quiet and I could not here much from other guests at the hotel. The air condition was quiet and worked very well.

The room had two TV’s with enough channels, and it had a nice sofa as well.

On the premises it was a good restaurant and a nice pub.

The lobby was large and you could have a seat there and relax.

The staff was very nice and the four elevators were fast and efficient.

I asked for a late check out and it was no problem.

The only small complaint I have is that the internet access at the business center was rather expensive.

I was very pleased with my stay at Renaissance Chicago O'Hare Suites, and I would not mind staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo
13  Thank sune
Reviewed June 18, 2007

We stayed at the Renaissance for three nights and took the El downtown daily. We were able to get a room through Priceline for $60 a night plus $20 a night for parking. Even considering that we were 50 minutes away from the downtown loop, it was well worth it to stay here, especially at the great per-night price we had.

The El was just minutes from the hotel and the El and the buses are SO easy to use in Chicago. We bought the three day pass for $12 per person and used the heck out of it. We never waited more than 7 minutes for transportation and usually it was way less that that.

Our room on the 9th floor looked exactly like the 'candid photos' that other reviewers have posted. We loved the spacious, new bathroom and the comfortable beds. Having a suite was a big plus, too. There was ample drawer and closet space (two closets.)

The ONLY thing that we didn't like was the decorating and that may just be our personal preference. The living room section was very 'impersonal and cold' in our opinion. As another reviewer mentioned, it looked a bit like an office waiting room. The bedroom didn't feel quite so 'cold.'

We would definitely stay at the Renaissance again, especially if the price differential was sizeable between a hotel downtown and the Renaissance, since the commute wasn't bad at all.

We didn't hear airplanes, even though they were taking-off directly over the hotel. DIdn't hear the highway or the El trains, either. We didn't hear anything!

Stayed: June 2007