“Loved it”

Ranked #68 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Madison, WI
“Loved it”
Reviewed July 19, 2007

Great hotel. Excellent locations not that far from Rosemont theater, Donald E. Steven conventation center, O'hare or Chicago Downtown.

Execllent service..

Stayed January 2007
4 Thank siliconvalleyking

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Sweden
Reviewed July 10, 2007

I stayed one night at the Renaissance Chicago O'Hare Suites, June 23, 2007.

I took the free shuttle from the O’Hare airport, and I was waiting 20 min before the shuttle showed up to take me to the Renaissance Chicago O'Hare Suites.

When I was going back to the airport the shuttle was in time and it worked very well.

I stayed in a standard room with a king bed.

It was clean, fresh, had a safe, it was large enough for me, the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was very big, and it was good water pressure in the shower.

It was very quiet and I could not here much from other guests at the hotel. The air condition was quiet and worked very well.

The room had two TV’s with enough channels, and it had a nice sofa as well.

On the premises it was a good restaurant and a nice pub.

The lobby was large and you could have a seat there and relax.

The staff was very nice and the four elevators were fast and efficient.

I asked for a late check out and it was no problem.

The only small complaint I have is that the internet access at the business center was rather expensive.

I was very pleased with my stay at Renaissance Chicago O'Hare Suites, and I would not mind staying here again.

• Liked — clean, fresh, and a very comfortable bed
  • Disliked — The business centre
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
13 Thank sune
Apple Valley, MN
Reviewed June 18, 2007

We stayed at the Renaissance for three nights and took the El downtown daily. We were able to get a room through Priceline for $60 a night plus $20 a night for parking. Even considering that we were 50 minutes away from the downtown loop, it was well worth it to stay here, especially at the great per-night price we had.

The El was just minutes from the hotel and the El and the buses are SO easy to use in Chicago. We bought the three day pass for $12 per person and used the heck out of it. We never waited more than 7 minutes for transportation and usually it was way less that that.

Our room on the 9th floor looked exactly like the 'candid photos' that other reviewers have posted. We loved the spacious, new bathroom and the comfortable beds. Having a suite was a big plus, too. There was ample drawer and closet space (two closets.)

The ONLY thing that we didn't like was the decorating and that may just be our personal preference. The living room section was very 'impersonal and cold' in our opinion. As another reviewer mentioned, it looked a bit like an office waiting room. The bedroom didn't feel quite so 'cold.'

We would definitely stay at the Renaissance again, especially if the price differential was sizeable between a hotel downtown and the Renaissance, since the commute wasn't bad at all.

We didn't hear airplanes, even though they were taking-off directly over the hotel. DIdn't hear the highway or the El trains, either. We didn't hear anything!

Stayed June 2007
10 Thank LyndaMN
KY
Reviewed May 29, 2007

stayed during Memorial Day and would agree with other past positive reviews. Positives - staff was great, nice new rooms, wonderful beds (only doubles and not queens available), 2 tvs, sofa bed, nice bath, great pool/sauna/whirlpool in basement, <5 min walk to El, which is ~50min to loop. neat mint shampoo. Negs - lots of kids that weekend who took over pool (may have been isolated incident), parking is 20$, fridge not very cool.

would definitely stay again.

• Liked — rooms and service
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
7 Thank joker333
Hamilton, New Jersey
Reviewed May 29, 2007

Recently stayed in this hotel for 3 nights over Memorial Day. The hotel is 16 stories and is located next to I-90, the El train, and about 1 mile from O'Hare-directly in the flight path depending on wind.

When I arrived, I was greeted by the nice staff at the front desk and given a room on the Club Floor, Room 1625. Upon entering, you are in the living area of the room. There was an arm chair, 2 little square tables, a sofa (sofa bed), desk, chair, TV and a mini-armoire that contained a little refrigerator and an in-room safe. The Club Lounge would be closed for the weekend, so I was given coupons for a free "full service" breakfast. This room faced west toward O'Hare. Something bugged me about the living room, but it took a while to figure it out.

The bedroom featured a king-sized bed, another TV and a closet containing an iron/board , clothes steamer/refresher and a robe.

The bathroom was fairly large, with a stall shower (no tub) that was at least 3.5 feet x 5.5 feet, with a hand-held shower. The problems with the shower are that 1) the door opens out so the water gets all over the floor. 2) there is no handle on the inside of the door 3) no place to sit to shave your legs ladies! and 4) it is kind of dark! Plus, unless you are about a size 6, the robe won't fit! And, as the day went on, I noticed several other things wrong with the room. Honestly, I had higher expectations of the Renaissance, based partly on the other reviews here, and I was let down.

The carpet had 3 very large stains on it just inside the door. The door itself was difficult to open and close. In the corner of the shower, there was a lot of mold on the grout between the tiles near the floor. Water pressure was minimal water pressure at best, the toilet seat was very loose and the A/C smelled of mildew all the time. Wound up keeping it off most of the day. There were crumbs on the floor between the tables and the furniture was really beaten up. The table was cracking and the desk had big gouges on it, and on the legs. For a Club Level room,. the place was really not up to Marriott standards.

At this point, I finally realized what I disliked about the living area. The way it was set up made me feel like I was sitting in someone's office! Hard to explain, but I was really not comfortable.

The bed, part of Marriott's new bedding package, was fairly comfortable, but neither the feather bed on top of the mattress nor the comforter were very fluffy and full. These both need to be washed and fluffed. Honestly, I have had regular blankets that are thicker. Yes, it is getting warm out, but I like to have a cold room and then a nice, fluffy down quilt!

I gave the front desk the list of problems with the room. I really hate moving rooms, but the gal insisted that I go eat breakfast and stop back for a new room. Breakfast was another story. The coupon said "full service" meaning I should be able to order off the menu. Well, I was told I had to get the buffet. It wasn't bad. Actually, my omelet was cooked in real, melted butter and it was very good. But, my server did not ask me if I wanted toast or an English muffin (there was no toaster as is standard for Marriotts), nor did he get me Orange juice. I did get a little shot of strawberry smoothie which was good.

The buffet had eggs, bacon (cold and soggy), sausage, fruit, cereals, oatmeal and cream of wheat, breakfast potatoes (with peppers and onions of course-yuck) and some muffins and coffee cake. The coffee cakes really looked to be of the Entenmann's or Sara Lee variety like you get in a grocery store. Why? They had those tell-tale aluminum foil cake pan marks on the side. Eh. The chef was very nice, the server was just OK.

Returned to the desk and was moved to room 1630 which is one of the corner suites. Looks just like the photos on the Marriott website except there are no drapes, just 2 types of shades-a sheer and a black-out shade. The sheer shade in the bedroom would not go up! This room was very large. The living area was the size of a large hotel room itself! Closet, TV, dining-room table with 6 chairs, a stereo and lots of speakers (I guess you could use it for some sort of surround sound but I am not so inclined), desk, couch and arm chair. It’s funny though, there is no lamp close to the sofa for reading! There is a big, ceiling lamp over the dining table, and a desk lamp but nothing close enough to sit and read at night. Hmm. At the risk of sounding mean, Marriott needs some women designing their hotels. Or at least people with common sense who actually USE their hotels!

The bedroom had a king bed, TV, another closet and some drawers. The alarm clock even has directions! The bathroom here had an actual tub, with the hand held shower. And, on the inside of one of the doors, a lovely dirty kids' handprint! Great! This is supposed to be an even better room and the housekeeper doesn't check the inside of the doors! Details people!!! The robe in this room was thick, fluffy and of a size that would fit most normal-sized humans!

At least this room didn't have that mildew smell from the A/C. The view was nice. You can see the Chicago skyline in the distance. And, you get to see the highway and the El! The hotel is very noisy. Not so much from other guests, but the trains, cars and planes can get on your nerves. I can live with airplane noise, but if you are a light sleeper, ear plugs are a MUST!

The "wired for business" package for internet and local and long distance (domestic) calls is $9.95 per day which isn't bad. Parking is $20 per day. Food prices were a bit high for dinner. Some of the drink prices in the bar were reasonable. They had some featured drinks that were $7.00 and considering the amount and types of liquor in them, this was a reasonable price. (One had Patron tequila for which another Marriott charged $10 a shot! This stuff is super expensive!!)

There is a Bennigans across the parking lot and the hotel is a very short walk to the Blue Line trains. (Cumberland station). You can purchase visitor's passes at the Cumberland station. They are in a different machine than the regular train/bus tickets. For $5, you can get unlimited rides on the El, CTA and PACE buses. Also, you can get either a 2, 3 or 7 day pass for $9, $12, and $20 respectively. These passes are a great deal considering it is $4 round trip to Chicago. And, if you ride the bus a couple times in a day, your pass will more than pay for itself. You can also get these passes at O'Hare, Union Station and a couple other places. The hotel does have a free shuttle to the airport. Never had to wait longer than about 10 minutes.

Overall, the hotel staff was very nice, and it is a lovely property. However, it needs to be cleaner with respect to both rooms and public areas. For instance, there was "stuff" on the rug outside the elevator on the 16th floor for over 48 hours. This should have been vacuumed up!

Breakfast on subsequent days was better; although it took until the final day for the server to ask if I wanted toast! I met the restaurant manager and spoke with him at length about my issues. He actually gave me a coupon for a complimentary appetizer in the bar since the Club Lounge was closed. I had steak quesadillas that were very good. The bar was empty, save for one other couple. Service was friendly but less than attentive. Wound up leaving due to the foul language being used by both the woman and man sitting down the bar. I will skip the lecture about not using filthy language in public. Please, show some class!

There was a billing error at checkout. I was charged for too many nights (I had a coupon for a free night) and I was charged for internet service for two days, which was only used once. The person at the desk seemed a bit annoyed that she had to fix it for me. Perhaps it was just too early? I would say that 98% of the staff was wonderful. There are just a couple people who need some extra training in customer service.

With a good rate, I may consider returning, but there are other hotels that I think are in better shape than this Renaissance. This is supposed to be a more upscale brand than a regular, full service Marriott. In my opinion, the rooms are a little too “cold” and stark. I guess this is the new trend, but it makes this place seem too much like an “office" and less like a hotel. Yes, it is geared to business travelers, but there is a fine line between office, and a hotel room with space to work. To me this place is an office that happens to have a bed. It wasn’t horrible, just not the best. Again, this is just my opinion. Different strokes for different folks. Most people love it, I didn’t.

• Liked — 98% of the staff was very friendly
  • Disliked — Details.....cleanliness, overall condition
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
9 Thank cruisermeg
Lakewood, California
Reviewed May 7, 2007

I just stayed at the Renaissance O'Hare last weekend, and it was a great experience, overall.

Everyone I spoke to at the hotel was courteous and friendly. There were some issues (discussed below), but none of them illicited any bad behavior from the hotel staff.

I flew in at 6am, and they had a room waiting for me! The suite was spacious, with a huge shower, 2 TVs, and a great view from the 5th floor. I had the corner room that was close to the elevators and right across from the vending machines, but that didn't bother me. In fact, I loved the location! I never heard much noise from the hallway or outside. The bed was comfy and I slept well.

The train station into the city is a very short walk away (just across the parking lot), which was perfect! There is also a Starbucks in the lobby for that morning coffee fix.

I ordered room service for breakfast on my last morning, and the food was quite good. Also, the shuttle service to the airport was a great perk.

Here are my only complaints (which is why I couldn't give it a perfect rating):

-When I arrived at the shuttle pickup area, I called the hotel and was told I'd just missed the 6am shuttle, but one would be arriving in 15 mins. Their shuttle is supposed to pick up every 20 mins., starting at 6am. Well, 15 mins. passed and there was no shuttle. I also found out another person who was standing at the same door had also been waiting for the shuttle...since before 6am. I called the hotel again, and was told the shuttle had come by twice already, but we'd never seen it. Finally, at 6:40, the shuttle arrived. So, don't count on this service to be on-time.

-I left my hotel room at 10am and was gone until 10pm. Of course, I expected maid service to come by in my absence. When I got back, I found the room exactly as I'd left it! When I complained about this to the front desk on my way out, the receptionist told me that I have to call and request maid service because sometimes they don't clean the rooms! I've been in much cheaper hotels that had maid service every day.

• Liked — Convenience to train station, friendly staff, nice room
  • Disliked — No maid service, poor shuttle service
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
6 Thank sophie832
Iowan
Reviewed April 14, 2007

My mother, son, and I stayed at this hotel for a weekend getaway. What a really wonderful hotel! Our suite was very nice, and I loved the bathroom. There is no tub, however, which was a disappointment for my mother. The shower is huge though, and there's plenty of space in the bathroom. The bed was quite comfortable, and had 7 pillows on it. There was a television in both rooms, which was handy. We booked the breakfast package, which I highly recommend. The buffet breakfast in the restaurant, "Fresh", was delicious. Along with fruit, breads, meats, and cereal, there was a made to order breakfast station where a chef would make you an omelet, pancake, waffle, eggs, whatever. Along with the breakfast you get a free strawberry banana smoothie in a shot glass, which was a fun idea. The stay for breakfast package was only an additional $15, so for the 3 of us was a great deal.

The hotel also has a great pool area, including a hot tub and sauna in each locker room. The pool itself is huge. On Friday nights they have swim up movies, where they show a movie on one wall of the pool area to watch while swimming. My son loved it, and it really kept him occupied!

By far my favorite thing about this hotel, though, was the staff. I have never seen a hotel staff so seriously oriented toward customer service. Everyone we came in contact with was so helpful and cheerful! The front desk people were great, and the restaurant workers were amazing with my son.

I would absolutely stay at this hotel again, in a heartbeat. It's a great deal, and not too far from downtown Chicago. It's near a subway station, so no need to worry about driving! No airport noise, in fact no noise of any kind in our room. Great experience!

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — No complaints!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank iowakrb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicago
Chicago Marriott O'Hare
#108 of 189 in Chicago
O'Hare
Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
#137 of 189 in Chicago

Been to Renaissance Chicago O'Hare Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!