“Will avoid in the future”

Renaissance Chicago O'Hare Suites Hotel
Ranked #74 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
moline
“Will avoid in the future”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

As stated in previous reviews, I work for hotels. So, I tend to give hotels a bit of slack for things other people would complain about. I read very good reviews from this place and a few very bad ones. My experience has been much closer to the bad.

The Good: The interior of the hotel is very pretty. It's spacious. The rooms were well-appointed and the bathroom was huge. The rooms are clean and there doesn't appear to be any mold damage or bedbugs.

The Bad: My room had frayed carpet near the door. It just looked a bit tacky. That's not the end of the world but there's also a space between the door and the floor so all sounds are amplified from people walking by. Hopefully they weren't amplified the opposite direction as well. The tv in this room is right next to a door so when the door was opened too quickly, it smacked right into the tv. The tv wobbled a bit. I would be uncomfortable having a small child in my room as it would easily be pulled down. Also, the food and internet are expensive but that's about par for the course for hotels at the moment.

The Ugly: The Front Desk service was appalling. When I arrived, the restaurant manager was there checking people in. He's a very nice man but I wondered what he was doing running the front desk. I assumed that they were short handed and he was allowing someone to take a break, which is thoughtful. Although he ran into a hiccup trying to check me in, he was easily the best part of my stay. He had to retrieve the actual front desk worker to fix my problem. I was impressed with his ability to juggle me and the constantly ringing phones, especially for someone who wasn't entirely trained on the front desk. My complaint is not about him in the least. The person he retrieved to fix my problem however was the exact opposite. She was clearly irritated to be there helping him. She knew that he called her to check me in because he couldn't. She proceeded to take several phone calls first. I didn't mind this because at this point they were clearly short-staffed and busy. She rolled her eyes at her co-worker and angrily banged her way through whatever menus on the computer that got me checked in. She gave me an inaccurate amount for what the parking garage costs would be, but I ignored that because everyone makes mistakes now and then. She constantly stopped our check in to answer the phone. While I do not have a problem with that, I do have a problem with taking 15 minutes to check in because the worker cannot say "Please Hold".

The Icing on the Ugly: When we finally got to our room, the keys did not function. I went back downstairs where I was treated to more of her eye rolling. The keys did not function because she wrote the wrong room on the keycard. She threw the old keycard holder away and then tried to make it seem like I had done something wrong to not be able to open the door to the room. At that point, I had the person I was traveling with handle all other interactions with her because I was tired of having eyes rolled at me and being condescended to from this particular employee. Hopefully there was no one in the room she sent us to originally as it's always disconcerting to have someone fiddling with your door.

Perhaps it's because I booked this room at a distressed rate through Priceline that I got such horrid service. They must only reserve politeness for people who are paying full rate. If I had booked at full rate through their website, I would have left before I completed check-in.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Tntt5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is my 2nd time to stay here for a park sleep and fly. It was a perfect stay. Very convenient, clean, and quiet. Shuttle service to O'hare was on time and had no problems. Pick up after vacation was fine as well. I like the fact that the parking is in a garage and covered. No snow removal after you get back from vacation. I also like the bar in the lobby. They had good cocktails and a good way to start off a vacation. I will stay at Renaissance anytime that I am flying out of O'Hare.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by the size of this hotel room- including the bathroom! The bed was very comfortable and the property was extremely convenient for flying into/out of O'Hare. The only complaint I have is that the front desk staff failed to mention that the concierge lounge offered breakfast- I ran up to grab a bottle of water on my way out and saw the huge spread they were offering.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CRA17
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed February 1, 2013

My family and I enjoyed our comfortable stay at this location. The indoor pool was heated, the breakfast was great, and the service was solid. We were attending an event over the weekend at the Allstate Arena, so the location of the hotel was also convenient. Recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JDBuchanan
Arkansas
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stay at this hotel a number of times each month for business as well as use this hotel when traveling through O'hare on vacations. The y always provide excellent customer service, rooms are clean and spacious, beds and pillows are comfy, refrigerator, and the aveda products in the bathrooms are wonderful. They have a large fitness center, full size swimming pool/hot tub, and sauna on the lower level. The lobby and bar area were recently redocorated for a contemporary look. The Club lounge and Fresh Restaurant always offer delicious food choices, and a Starbucks onsite. Shuttle service to the airport is convenient. While the location is not walking distance to anything, it is steps away from the Blue Line Train that will take you downtown or to other nearby attractions; and a few minutes drive away to many other restaurants, shopping, entertainment complex, and casino.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Heather D
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 21, 2013

The location is close to the airport, but not close enough to have a problem with the noise of departures and arrivals.
The exercise facility is spacious and well equipped with several treadmills, exercise equipment, ellipticals, etc.
Very important for some of us caffeine addicts: There is a Starbucks on the premises!!!
The attached garage solves the parking problem.
A well- appointed bar and restaurant, a huge lobby with an imitation fireplace create a comfortable environment. There is a variety of conference rooms - and the catering is phenomenal.

And, within 5' drive you can find any kind of restaurant you can think of, from McDonald's to Morton's and everything in-between.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the higher floors - the view s great!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank LTH58
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Non stop flights out of O'Hare are easier to find, and usually cheaper, than from our home airport in Milwaukee. For that reason we have used the Renaissance Park, Sleep & Fly options on numerous occasions - most recently in Sept. The cost of parking elsewhere for a week or more, besides being a major hassle, can easily run you more than the cost of the room with parking included. The parking garage is covered and secure. The hotel itself is nice - not five star but clean, comfortable and stylish. There is an adequate restaurant and Starbucks. The airport shuttle runs on the half hour & takes less than ten minutes to your Airline checking gate. When you return you just give them a call and the next shuttle will pick you up. It is great to arrive for dinner the night before an easily morning flight, relax and sleep a little extra before beginning your travels. Also, they validate your parking when you check in so when returning you Judy hop in your car and go. I recommend Renaissance to everyone with only one caveat. Be sure to check how many nights are included in your room cost. If you will be leaving your car additional nights, clarify the cost per night in advance so there aren't any surprises.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jharris29
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicago
Chicago Marriott O'Hare
#110 of 190 in Chicago
O'Hare
Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
#138 of 190 in Chicago

Been to Renaissance Chicago O'Hare Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!