“A MUST: Bar Pastoral On Broadway”

Pastoral Artisan Cheese, Bread & Wine
Ranked #1,982 of 9,602 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Contemporary
Neighborhood: West Loop
Neighborhood: West Loop
Seattle, Washington
“A MUST: Bar Pastoral On Broadway”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Hands down this is a must visit nosh spot when in the Windy City. It was a delight to wine and dine here and a privilege to be perched on the cheese bar to interact with the cheese and service team.

The location next to the actual Pastoral cheese shop on Broadway was ideal since this neighborhood was a haunt for me when I lived in the city. The warm atmosphere is cozy and inviting in an old-school white-tile, dark wood paneling sort of way. The dining room has class without pretense. The service team has charm and attentiveness with enthusiasm thrown in. You would have to if you worked in a cheese restaurant, right?

As a solo diner I had to make my decision wisely since the bill can add up and the belly can still be empty when ordering small plates. Not at this place. The price point for wines by the glass are respectable since you can have half, full or carafe of wine brought to you. The L. Mawby sparking house wine was a dry winner to whet my appetite. The French rose that followed carried on through the meal since it was dry and delicious. My selection of a Chicago interpretation of Rush Creek Reserve (WI made cheese) served like a deconstructed Chicago-style hot dog was a great way to start the meal. Following was house-made country pate with appropriate garnishes that followed. A chilled beet salad with endive was an architectural wonder that was worth the effort to construct. Finally, I broke down and ordered the house-cured ham covered with raclette cheese to only have too much food on hand. It served as an excellent hearty breakfast in my hotel room the next morning.

Yes, I would return. Let the staff guide you on the food. Ask for a nibble before you make a decision on your cheese. It’s there for the enjoyment and you only live once.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank BluYooper

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

What a great find! Stopped in last week while in town on business; needed to pick up a client gift.
I called ahead and were able to accommodate my last minute request for one of the custom picnic baskets. I cant even tell you how much of a hit it was! Packaged in a smart little box to include a great selection of cheeses, dried fruits, nuts, preserves, etc etc all with a fresh baguette. VERY Reasonably priced. I wanted to dig in myself! Client loved it and very creative/different. Will def be back when in town. Great selection of homemade/made to order sandwiches, delectables, wine, dry goods/little market, truffle salts/oils, preserves, etc

• Visited November 2012
State College, PA
“Knowledgable purveyors of wine and cheese”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I love, love, love Pastoral. It is the perfect antidote for restaurant food while traveling. The deli makes a range of beautiful sandwiches, and offers the perfect wine pairings for them. I was blown away by the jamon serrano and blue cheese sandwich. The young woman at the counter suggested a tempranillo pairing that was outstanding (I think it was by Origen), despite the fact that the cork crumbled when I opened it. I could have lived without the Market Salad, though. I couldn't figure out what to do with the big blob of goat cheese! Overall, a great experience.

Visited October 2012
Meriden, Connecticut
“Perfect deli”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I am in love with this place ( in the Loop, apparently there is another location - but I've only been to the Loop location). Fresh, gourmet, funky shop for the best sandwiches, great,selection of cheese etc. My sandwich was sooooo sooooooo good! The waiter even suggested a slight change from the printed ingredients. AMAZING!!!! Can't wait to go back.

• Visited September 2012
loopgrl5
“Such a find!”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

If you like artisan sandwiches then make sure to stop in here! I stumbled across it and fell in love.

Visited June 2012