“Amazing Property, World Class Service!!!!!”

Hotel Lincoln, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #47 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Amazing Property, World Class Service!!!!!”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I unfortunately had only 1 night at this amazing hotel...but the 24 hours I spent there were incredible. Friendly staff, beautiful updated rooms, excellent food and menu! Awesome view too! I'll be back again for sure!

Room Tip: Ask for room on the lake side...the junior suite was amazing!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Turkish first
Valparaiso, Indiana
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I stayed on Friday January 3, 2014 with some friends for a wedding across the street. Our room was fair sized with 2 queen sized beds. The Room was clean, prim, pressed, and quiet. The hotel decor is typical of a big city hotel, with many ornate interesting things to look at. The rooftop bar was cool, but I would love to comeback in the summer to be able to sit outside. The factor that raised my experience from very good to excellent was the night shift concierge Ben and Inn Keeper Saul. After a night of hitting the town, I had mentioned through conversation with Ben that myself and a few of my friends weren't ready to call it a night. So he offered a bottle of wine and we simply lounged in the lobby and bounced through conversation after conversation. As a winter storm was approaching the city, Ben made sure to send Saul to our room with extra pillows and blankets to ensure we were comfortable. The little things like that keep this hotel in the back of my mind for the next time I stay in the city. I have a background in the hospitality and service industry and it makes me proud that there are people who know how to do it right.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank jessabaldi
London, UK
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Stayed for three nights whilst in Chicago for meetings. It's a little bit further north than the bulk of the city hotels but the location is good: opposite Lincoln Park zoo and all the amenities of the park/lakeshore and I had a delightful walk due south through the monied piles of the Gold Coast. I had a very nicely thought out corner room - got a great rate through Expedia and really enjoyed my stay here. It's a renovated older property. The Perennial Virant restaurant is particularly good, with an interesting menu. It's also easy to grab coffee in the lobby. The rooftop bar is pretty lively - not really a place for a quiet drink, more a bit of a scene-y spot. But all good fun and the staff were excellent, attentive, helpful. Will stay again. Nice atmosphere.

Room Tip: Lakeview or corner rooms are best
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed January 5, 2014

My partner and I, along with our dog, stayed in a room on the 4th floor on December 23rd and 24th. As mentioned in a previous review, we were awoken around 7 a.m. by the smell of cigarette smoke and loud voices directly outside our door. A couple of Chicago Police Officers had arrested two drunken, vulgar, obnoxious hotel guests. The Officers called for the booking "wagon" and the problem was resolved with the arrest and removal of the two men.

This was CLEARLY not a SWAT operation by the Chicago PD or remotely newsworthy!

I mentioned the disturbance to the front desk clerk who acknowledged that there had been a problem. He offered a discount or an upgrade to a suite, to which we declined. He then offered a free breakfast at the hotel's coffee shop. We accepted and enjoyed a tastefully created breakfast.

Later, we recieved a phone message from the hotel's manager apologizing for the disturbance and offering any further assistance.

We strongly feel that this incident could have taken place in any hotel, and the management's response was appropriate and sincere.

We look forward to staying at the Hotel Lincoln during our next visit.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 3, 2014

It was a frigid winter in Chicago, my apartment was cold, and I'm a writer here in Chicago. I needed a warm, quiet place where I could get some work done — fast. Well, the Hotel Lincoln is about five blocks from me and it came through with flying colors. A cozy, warm immaculate room, great Internet connection (free Wi-Fi) for my trusty MacBook Air, and the friendliest, most helpful service staff imaginable. Many thanks to Glenn, Joe, Alyssa, Fabian, Terrance, Isaiah and all the other Hotel Lincoln staff people who helped make my stay truly memorable BTW: the breakfasts in the first-floor restaurant were super — perfectly executed omelets and creamy oatmeal (with brown sugar and fruit compote), wonderful whole-grain toast with the most incredible homemade blueberry preserves imaginable.

Room Tip: The rooms without park views are just fine -- they are quiet and have great views toO and are a bit...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Bob C
Reviewed January 3, 2014

My wife and I stayed here in July during peak summer hours. Great Hotel with nice restaurant and cool rooftop bar. Free bike rental to see the city. Walking /biking distance from the lake and mini beach. Great Location right next to the park and Zoo. Great Staff, especially Fabian, he was the absolute essence of 5 star service, he made accommodations for my wife and I on short notice. I asked him to set the room up with some Champagne and chocolate strawberries and he went above and beyond in making my wife and I feel welcome and special after a terrible experience staying at one of my wife's 'friends'.

*Warning- Some lengthy background to how we ended up booking this hotel day-of check in:

My wife and I were taking our 2nd honeymoon to a few of the major cities we hadn't visited around the world. Chicago and Miami were two of the big ones on our list. We had planned to stay in hotels for the duration of about a week in each city but my wife, who is from Brazil, had a friend living in the suburbs of Chicago who invited us to come stay with her instead and said that she would show us around. I at first hesitated as I'm always one to prefer hotel stay over a room, but as any smart man would, I of course caved in to the wife and was willing to meet her friend whom she hadn't seen for many years and save the money.

As i knew it, said 'Friend' wasn't really that cool. I get there, and after a day I can just tell she doesn't like me and she wasn't digging having us there after about two days. She would take us places but she would stay in the car with her dog (lmfao) instead of going in or leaving her dog at home. She's one of those 30+ single for 5 years with little dog that is actually 'baby' if you know what I mean, and she hadn't had anyone stay over in quite some time. Well as expected the 'friend' said she had to go back to work and fly to london the next day. (WOW) So at least my misery would end and I could find us a good hotel in DT Chicago area. I'm happy bc it gave us the chance to find HOTEL LINCOLN...

As aforementioned FABIAN at the front desk was a pleasure. He was kind and took care of us for our entire stay. As well as the taller, hispanic gentlemen at the front door with the shorter hair from California, who would recognize us off the street and open the door before we got to the door. At one point, he even ran up the stairs to get me a towel bc I was sweating like a true chubster in the chicago humidity while waiting for the wife.

The rooms are cool, I can remember some cool artsy furniture, and a sense of chicago old and new with the decor. The room was reasonably sized with a comfy queen bed. REALLy we were in Chicago to take in the town. We saw the "Book of Mormon" play which was amazing, we went to every museum and there were a few centrally located near the hotel. We saw comedy shows, we did boat tours, we spent a day at the lake and zoo. We ate so much delicious pizza and chicago dogs and drank some great beer. All in all it was a successful trip thanks to Hotel Lincoln, Fabian and the other joyful, friendly staff. We can't wait to get back to Chicago. Thanks so much guys!

-Lex & Marcela Fargo

Room Tip: Ask for lake view, corner, or just ask Fabian or one of the other staff to advise you
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

I wish I had stayed at a nicer hotel for the price. The lobby was nice, but the room was small and the hotel was doing maintenance too early in the morning which woke us up. Also there were no perks included (no robes, no fridge, no refreshments etc). Decent, but not great.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple