“A Pleasant Surprise!”

Hotel Lincoln, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #56 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 22, 2013

During frequent spring trips to Chicago, we had always stayed at downtown hotels, either chains or one particular boutique hotel that had issues. This trip, we needed to stay further north. We decided on Hotel Lincoln because of the reviews on various rating sites, but also for its proximity to Lincoln Park and the zoo (right across the street). I felt as though we were transported to a hotel in Pleasantville! As we drove up, we were eagerly greeted by bellhops in plaid shirts and khakis. The females at the front desk, equally pleasant, wore blue polka-dot dresses. What could be more festive than that! The desk is fronted with dresser drawers. Rooms are small, but clean, adequate and have modern amenities. None of the staff appear to be over thirty! All were pleasant and enthusiastic. Even the pedi-cab driver jumped up to help manage luggage on our way out. This was also our first intro to a very walkable Old Town, with fun shops and restaurants to explore, many with outdoor seating. Next trip to Chicago,we definitey will stay here again!

Room Tip: We paid extra for a king room with a park view. It was nice, though you get a view of the busy stree...
1  Thank 206JanF

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Lincoln for business in mid-July. The location was perfect and the staff was incredibly help. I have stayed at a number of hotels in the area and the Hotel Lincoln marks my best experience to date. Check out the rooftop bar! Elaine's, the coffee shop, is a great place for breakfast and for getting work done between meetings. I just found my go-to Chicago hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Some of the staff was so [--], I thought they might be heirs to the Massingill fortune.

I do not like to rip staff unless the experience really was that bad. It is a hard job and if a staff even tries, I want to give them credit. Not the case here. The attitude was almost at a cartoonish level. What was supposed to be a nice relaxing vacation with my wife became a completely frustrating experience. It is interesting because in the reviews here, you will see this sentiment echoed by more than one reviewer, and all I can say is: It's true.

I would add info on the quality of the rooms or the hotel itself, but I think that would be pointless, that is how turned off I was.

Chicago is a wonderful city with so many fantastic hotels, especially more boutique type hotels, there is really no reason to stay here.

Also be warned, the website mentions guest parking, but they have no dedicated parking lot. They share a lot with Lincoln Park and the zoo and it fills up fast. That parking is 28/night with no in/out privileges. Next is a lot on North, again not their own, that is 34/night. The valet costs 50/night.

1  Thank B P
Hotellincoln, General Manager at Hotel Lincoln, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear BP

Thank you for providing your feedback. We are very disappointed and concerned your experience with the hotel was anything but amazing. Please contact me directly so we may further review ways to continue to improve.

Robert Shelley

Reviewed July 20, 2013

First time in Chicago and booked this place on the strength of reviews and the fact it was relatively close to Wrigley Field where we saw Pearl Jam play an epic show last night.
Staff were friendly, roof top bar was excellent with great food and service & perfect for a hot summer's night. Only issue was how thin the walls are - could hear every word of a couple having an argument in the room next door.

1  Thank POF999
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I am sorry I only got to spend one night at the Lincoln Hotel. The suite I had was great! I loved the way it was decorated and had everything I could have needed. Also it was beyond clean with every attention to detail! The ambiance of the whole hotel was inviting, relaxing and kind of nostalgic. The staff was friendly and helpful. I had a great view of the Lincoln Park Zoo and the water. I will definitely go back there again.

Room Tip: Go for the view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My wife and I booked this hotel as our main "room block" hotel for our wedding guests the other weekend. We stayed there, family stayed there, and friends stayed there. It was a perfect location, right across the street from the Lincoln Park Zoo. And the staff and services were truly superb. We couldn't have asked for a better hotel to use for our wedding. We also had a great bellhop named Erick on our final day. He was extremely helpful checking us out and helping us get all of our luggage and gifts down to our car.

Room Tip: Choose a lakeview room!
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We just spent 3 days at the LIncoln Hotel, and loved our time there. Our room was spacious and nicely appointed, and the beds were very comfortable. The staff was unfailingly friendly and helpful. The location is great; right across from Lincoln Park. We woke the first morning to find a farmers' market right across the street, which was ideal for a picnic breakfast. We walked everywhere- the zoo, Second City Theater (just around the block), Oz Park, downtown for a Tastebud Tour (also recommended). My only regret is that we didn't spend some time at the rooftop lounge. We got a peek during the day, and the view was spectacular.

We can't wait to come back and stay again at the hip and soulful Hotel Lincoln.

Room Tip: Suites are large. Rooms fronting Clark Street have great views.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family