“Great hotel (and location) to explore Chicago”

Hotel Lincoln, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #47 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sunnyvale, California
“Great hotel (and location) to explore Chicago”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Hotel Lincoln is fun, funky and well situated in the heart of Chicago. The rooms are nice (clean, comfortable and a little preppy) but it's the rest of the place that make the Lincoln so special. From the extremely helpful staff to the cool vibe in the lobby to the excellence of the rooftop bar (both appetizers and drinks were amazing), Hotel Lincoln is our new favorite place to stay in the Windy City. Lincoln Park is a terrific neighborhood, too, filled with gorgeous old town homes and great little shops. It's a quick cab ride to 'the Loop' (or a 20-minute walk if you're up for a little exercise), but you can easily cross the street and enjoy a beautiful park that edges the lake. Check out the cool view of downtown taken from the inside of a modern art sculpture we found there (photos below). We will be back!

Room Tip: Our parents had a room facing the lake - great view!
1 Thank KB-Graystar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The Hotel Lincoln was a very comfortable, yet classy hotel. I probably wouldn't highly recommend for families. The uniqueness of the property, from the art to the dining and drinking, come through. The hotel staff was wonderful in helping me after a mistake on my part with my booking. Gave me a very nice upgraded room view and really helped me with local information that I desperately needed, but didn't want to try to search via google or the internet. I enjoyed the restaurant downstairs, and the cocktails from the lovely rooftop lounge. I was there in March during a blizzard so didn't get to enjoy ALL the properties amenities but I will return. The bed was very comfortable and the room adequate for my needs. I will say, be careful what you hear when considering parking your car. The hotel valet, which is not run by the hotel, didn't have all the facts on the fees and in and out priveledges(there are none). I did pay $14 to park my car in the lot across the street for under 3 hours. So make sure you know when you want to park and how much you are willing to pay. I actually found on street parking later for free between the hours of 9pm-7am. But you better move it or start feeding the meter at 6:55am, parking was pretty well enforced to my eyes.

Room Tip: The great view rooms over the Lincoln park and Lake Michigan are queen sized beds, not king. I'd...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The Hotel Lincoln is a fun, quirky little place with a wonderful staff and a neighborhood feel. If you are looking for big time luxury - you need to stay at one of the expensive downtown hotels. If you want a comfortable clean place with a nice coffee shop, outstanding roof top bar, plus an interesting restaurant - then this hotel will work for you. Some of the rooms are small (how much time do you really stay in your room will depend on how important this feature is for you). On the weekends the elevators can run slow - so take the stairs. We've stayed two times in the last 6 months and it was impressive to see many of the same staff people. The location is great for the lake, the zoo and neighborhood shopping down Armitage. Have fun, enjoy and relax.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 5, 2013

had two rooms. one with 2 double beds and one with a king size bed. the room with the king size bed is a little bit bigger then a walk in closet. the bathroom is so small there is no room to move around let alone put on make up. the bad part was that the room with the king size did not have any hot water for a shower the next day. had the maintenance man come up and could not do anything. had to go downstairs into boiler room. by that time i had to leave for an engagement plus he never fixed it. in addition, i found out the next morning that my sons room the shower turned ice cold in the middle of his shower. however, not as vocal as i am he did not say anything. i spoke to a manager which credited me one night stay for only one room. said could not do anything about the other room. this did not sit well with me. i got the email to write the general manager and to my surprise received a call from the hotel with an apology and advised me will credit my sons room. i was told that they had issues before and called out a plumber to check out the issue. this experience was unacceptable since the night manager was only able to credit for one room. if he would have addressed this equally i would not be sharing my experience at hotel lincoln. as a result,i had to share our experience. i do not plan to stay at this hotel again especially when there are so many hotels to choose from in downtown chicago. this is nothing against the workers at the hotel because they were great besides the lack of customer assistance from the night manager that i spoke to the next day in regards to our experience.

4 Thank lemont
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This hotel is great! It was just redone so it's super clean and new. Very helpful and friendly staff and the rooms are really nice, albeit small. The only downside is that it's in a quieter neighborhood than say, downtown Chicago but it's across the street from Lincoln park and near a lot of great restaurants so it's not dead either.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Alanah770
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We chose the Hotel Lincoln for its convenient location. It is right on the park, convenient to all things Lincoln Park. The interior of the hotel is unique. It would not be the decor that I chose to live with in my home, but it is interesting. The service is outstanding. We couldn't ask for a more attentive, helpful staff. The front desk staff greeted us personally each time we came in or went out. They remembered the purpose of our visit, made sure that we got to the locations we asked about and we helpful with recommendations.
Our room was a junior suite. It was not a large accommodation. It was adequate. Beds were great. When we needed extra blankets, someone was at the door in 10 minutes.
For us, the stars of this facility are the people. We will return.

Room Tip: Rooms are small. Ask questions if you require more space.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
mbailey177, Manager at Hotel Lincoln, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Melanie, Thank you so much for staying with us at Hotel Lincoln. We appreciate the positive feedback and look forward to your next visit!
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed 2 nights, February 22 and 23. The front desk staff was especially friendly and provided for a smooth check in experience. Our "bellhop", Edgar, was eager to accomodate us with whatever we needed. Our 5th floor room faced Lake Michigan. Since it's still winter, we werecable to view Lake Michigan and the South Pond area of the park. With leaves on the trees, there wouldn't be a "view". If that's what you're looking for as part of your experience, request an upper floor. The room was small. The queen bed took up most of the space, but I've stayed in smaller rooms, and room size was not important to us, as we spent our daytime hours out and about. The bed was VERY comfortable with 100% cotton sheets and a down comforter. The heating/AC was responsive and did not rattle or loudly cycle on and off. The bathroom was small, with not a lot of counter space. The bath/shower was VERY clean and the showerhead had good pressure. It DID take a long time (over 3 mins) for the water to get warm. Plan ahead.
One quirky thing about the room was the closet. There was very little space to hang long items because there was a cart with the coffee maker and ice bucket in it. Weird! The walls between rooms are thin. I could easily hear the TV next door. Fortunately, we were in an end room and only heard things through the one wall. No noise above or below. Overall, I would stay again!

Room Tip: If you want a view, choose a room above the 5th floor, especially when the trees have leaves.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends