“Few frills, But a Nice, Quiet Stay”

Hotel Lincoln, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #57 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed at this hotel while in town for a wedding, and had to work remotely from the hotel while I was there. While the bar downstairs was a bit crowded and noisy, my room was very quiet- a plus since I'm a very light sleeper. The rooms are ideal for light work or work that requires Internet access. The bed and bathroom were both clean. Unfortunately, room service was not available the nights we were there, and the bar closes a bit early, so it was difficult to get food and I ended up skipping dinner the first night because it was too late to go out. The tv was pretty small, and there was a mixup with the rooms that took a member of my party over an hour to fix... otherwise, I would give a higher rating.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 9, 2012

In town for only a weekend and have nothing but good things to say. Staff extremely hospitable and helpful. Room small but very comfortable. We didnt need the space. Valet parking (it's Chciago) and hotel is very convenient. Will return

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at Hotel Lincoln as part of their De Paul University discount. As I was sitting for a weekend Japanese language proficiency exam held at De Paul University, the close location was a definite plus. As I needed a quiet place to cram for my test, Hotel Lincoln was a comfortable and well equipped hotel for my needs. The room service was excellent as was the coffee at the little cafe downstairs. The one negative for me was compounded by my having driven in from Minneapolis and by the time I got to the hotel later than expected due to bad Saturday evening Chicago traffic, the parking situation for Hotel Lincoln added some stress to my check-in. Being situated where it is on Clark Street, I would recommend approaching the hotel from the north with the lake to your left. Reason being, there is a tricky intersection that seems to get congested easily and it's very difficult to flip a u-turn to pull up to the hotel and request valet parking if you come up Clark Street from the south like I did. So in my case I had to overshoot the hotel by a number of blocks so I could double back and pull in to ask for valet parking. It was at that point that the valet told me if I didn't want to spend as much money, I could park in a parking garage down the street for $28 for the night. Though I appreciated his kindness to save me a few bucks, I would have liked this parking option to be more visible on Hotel Lincoln's home page or at least in their "Looking forward to your stay" courtesy email when I booked my room. Not to mention it was good hike to the hotel from the parking garage which was not much fun either.

So in summary, I loved the hotel itself, I just wish there was a better advised parking solution to make checkin-out/check-out smoother.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Corey B
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Thanks to all the staff. Mr. Glenn at the front desk, the chambermaids and the strongman elevator operator for the top floor bar and restaurant. Every detail was well handled. My daughter got married and I had a great stay at a class hotel! May your doors always welcome great guests! Thanks always, Greg Collins.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Let me start by this was the best way to approach Chicago. I have stayed in the heart of downtown Chicago before, and although there’s a sense of experiencing downtown, I did not explore Chicago as much as I did this time around staying slightly out of downtown. It motivated me to see more of Chicago, yet still be able to walk to downtown when I wanted to.

Now, I was able to call in advance and get an upgrade (if you are looking for an upgrade, make sure to join the Joy of Life club that is free that offers free upgrades if available on Hotel Lincoln’s site or try to call in advance), but the room was cute and modernly decorated as all the descriptions said. We had a junior suite which included one bed, one and a half bath, desk, and a couch lounge area. The fire escape map indicated the basic junior room is not as spacious as a typical hotel, but the junior suite was more than generous. The colors that were captured in the room provided an uplifting feel.

The hotel was walking distance from Lincoln Park (which is a definite must see as festivals and the farmers market occur there), Magnificent Mile, and a cute street of excellent restaurants (Old Town). You can also walk to downtown (just a couple of miles), but as we discovered as the week went on, the Red Train and buses were much more efficient to save your feet.

The room was accommodating and the shampoo, body wash and lotion were nice, but that didn’t escalate it to a four star hotel, in my mind. What made this hotel a four star hotel was the staff. Not only did they recognize our faces to greet us in the lobby, they also made our Chicago visit. There were two particular employees, Katy and Glenn who helped us for all of our needs, so I can’t vouch for the rest of the staff, although I’m sure they are just as pleasant as Katy and Glenn were. Not only did they accommodate our tickets needs to get into Second City (which is almost directly behind the hotel), but Katy navigated us through the vast city of Chicago. Extremely grateful for the help, because even though I had GPS and planned ahead, I was able to eliminate the things that I didn’t have time to make it to and add some that they suggested was an absolute must. No regrets on the things I went to and saw based on their recommendations.

One final thing, if you have the time, rent the complimentary bikes the hotel offers. Biking through Lincoln Park and along the lake was one of the most breathtaking experiences through the trip.

Overall, this hotel was definitely worth the extra money, and at the same time, the savings by not staying downtown.

Room Tip: Call a week in advance to try and get an upgrade. Definitely doesn't hurt to ask.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I was taken aback by the tiny size of the King or Queen Room, Park view. Thank goodness it was only a Queen bed. As it was there was hardly a space for two roll aboard suitcases. The closet was recessed and narrow, so that a suitcase in there blocked access to the clothes hanging rod. One case had to sit on the right nightstand, the other blocked access to the window. Even then we had to take turns moving about the room. Almost no space to set anything down in the small bathroom, except on the toilet seat. For the price, I was not impressed. Decor was trendy, tasteful. I would not stay there again unless I needed to be in the Lincoln Park neighborhood where there are not many choices. The hotel is inconvenient to subway/trains, but very near the zoo and park.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dickanddoug
Hotellincoln, General Manager at Hotel Lincoln, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2012

Dear dickanddoug,

Thank you for your feedback and I am disappointed we were not able to meet your needs with the size of our room. With rooms of various size, I wish we had the opportunity to resolve the space issue while you were with us. Our number one goal is our commitment in making everyones stays as comfortable as possible. Thank you for your comments in regard to location and decor and should your travels bring you back to Chicago, I look forward to hearing from you personally so I may ensure you are 100% satisfied.

Warm Regards,

Bob Shelley

Reviewed December 2, 2012

There is one word that can describe hotel lincoln...amazing! the staff was incredibly attentive, beyond friendly, and made you feel at home. Glenn especially had superior customer service. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: December 2012