“"The Hidden Treasure"”

Transit: 156 Bus CTA Train: Chicago-Brown Line Grand-Red Line
TORONTO
“"The Hidden Treasure"”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

It was just past lunch time, tired of shopping on the Magnificent Mile on Michigan, so we decided to find Tavernita that came to us highly recommended. We walked west from Michigan onto Erie and must have gone about ten blocks. There it was finally on the corner, a cute little bar, restaurant but when you went inside it stretched a lot bigger than what it looked like from the outside. I order a Spanish draft beer, and my wife was going to order a pinot grigio, when the waitress says have you ever had our sangria's. My wife said no, but I think that sounds great and she ordered one. Off-course my beer is cold and smooth and goes down just fine, but her sangria looked even better than mine. We begin to order some tapas, a variety of items to munch on. Meanwhile the waitress comes back and asked how my wife liked her sangria. My wife said it's great better than the ones I had in Spain a few years back. She then said we make about five varieties and flavors and would you like to sample a few. She said sure, and a few minutes later there they were. She could not pick the best one, they all tasted amazing to her. So the tapas the drinks, the atmosphere sitting out in the patio, and the service was absolutely breath taking. Next time we will visit Tavernita for dinner.

• Visited September 2012

Omaha, Nebraska
“Good things going on here”
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Excellent! This place was a major surprise. The food is outstanding (more on that later), but the wines and drinks were also terrific. I usually avoid "house" cocktails, but am very glad I tried the "Dirty Pig on Fire"--caution, I like spice, and this drink has it. Our server was great. I am glad we tried his recommendations. The salmon crudo was tasty, as was the Escalivada. The real stars, though, were the tomato/watermelon/shrimp salad and the lamb sausage. We also enjoyed dessert, a dulce de leche concoction. One small nit; this spot is quite noisy. Highly recommended.

Columbus, Ohio
“Lots of Tasty Small Plate Options”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Went here on a Saturday night with some friends. We got there and it was very busy and loud. It had a fun young atmosphere. They had an extensive drink menu but I didn't like my wine on tap as much as out of the bottle. There had a large selection of options. Two of my favorites were the ravioli and scallops.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
“DELICIOUS!”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I went here with a few friends on a Friday night, got seated immediately, which was a pleasant surprise. The waiters were more than kind. With each dish they brought to the table, they explained exactly what it was, what it was made of, etc. Delicious doesn't even begin to explain the way the food tasted. I left stuffed and very satisfied. Reasonable prices for the ridiculously great food. Definitely will go again.

Algonquin, Illinois, United States
“Really enjoyed it!”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Went on a Saturday night, place was very busy. Very cool atmosphere. Yes, it is loud, but my husband and I were able to carry on a conversation easily. Not like some restaurants. Food was very good. Loved, loved, loved the beet and artichoke salad. My husband wanted to order another one because it was so good! I had to be the voice of reason and said there were too many other things to try. The mushroom flatbread was very tasty, as were the meatballs. Loved the corn pudding with shrimp too! Decadent and savory! Scallops were the only dish I wasn't crazy about. The scallops were cooked perfectly, but the sauce tasted like a Waldorf salad, which isn't my favorite. Portion sizes I thought were very fair for the price. I had some of the kegged cocktails, which I thought were tasty. The SOS cherry and the Booty Collins were yummy, but my favorite was the Turista. I liked that you could try 2 different cocktails in half sizes for the price of one full size. The only reason I did not give a 5 rating was the food came out way too fast and we felt rushed. It could have been spaced out more evenly for a more enjoyable meal!