“Wonderful Time”

Ranked #63 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Welland, Canada
“Wonderful Time”
Reviewed October 19, 2010

The River Hotel is a very special place perfectly located in a beautiful old building, right downtown and with a spectacular view of the river and its bustle from our window. The place is really warm and comfortable.We would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We had a quick getaway planned to Chicago and booked with the River Hotel because they had the best rates available in that area. The location was great, walking distance or inexpensive cab rides from the places we visited. Great little deli next door for breakfast. Mortons Steakhouse down the street for nice dinner. Late night bar and grill close by for after the concert. The rooms were satisfactory. I liked the modern feel, my boyfriend was not too impressed by the somewhat hard bed. The shower was a little awkward and small but we weren't there to lounge around a posh hotel room. If you just need a nice, clean room to sleep I would highly recommend this hotel. However, if you would be annoyed by having to walk down the hall to fetch an ironing board or are looking for a place with a helpful concierge to help guide you around town, I would suggest another location. It was great for our purpose and would stay there again.

Reviewed September 8, 2010

I had reserved a room back in May thru priceline and was setup with the priceline guarantee room and OMG upon arrival in the room with my wife we IMMEDIATELY were dissapointed with the size of the room I have a wardrobe closet at my house that was bigger then the room there was barely enough room to pass by the bed to the office area without rubbing into the wall thats how tight the space was in there. While my wife was in the shower I realized that the place didnt even have a microwave or fridge and this was a must since me and my wife were going to be doing alot of eating out and would like to bring some food home and even store drinks in. So thats when I called down to the front desk and requested a room with a microwave and fridge and thats when the front desk lady said in a very rude tone that the room I purchased did not come with those items. So I told her there must be a room that has those items and she said that I could upgrade to a Jr. Suite that also had a pullout sleeper couch (not needed since me and my wife were going to sleep in the queen size bed) and a very nice riverview, I olny had to pay $15 extra a night for this room. So I immediately jumped on this opportunity and I must say that this Jr. Suite was very well laid out the artwork and linens were very well put together and I finally had some breathing room and plenty of room for me and my wife to navigate throughout the room without bumping into each other! The view of the Chicago River was magnificent and also on the 6th floor they had the water bottle fill up station like they advertised on their website(the 32nd floor where my original room was did not have a water bottle station!!!!) stating that a water bottle station was on each floor. The bed I must say was extremely firm to the point of almost sleeping on concrete and the blanket was EXTREMELY HEAVY and felt as if we were sleeping under a pile of bricks! I couldnt sleep with it and just used the sheet. The desk area is very nice to set up the laptop and plan the activites throughout the day. A major complaint I have about the Jr. Suite is that there were two light bulbs in the room that didnt work at all the first was the night stand light on my side of the bed and the second was the Kitchenette light. I requested at the front desk that room service take care of the burnt out bulbs while we were gone for the day and to my dismay ONLY the kitchenette light was replaced and the funny thing was they left it on almost to show the great job they did replacing it. Ha. too bad they forgot my night stand lightbulb. Also when room service would come in during the day they would not give me fresh coffee cups or give us extra toilet paper. The workout area was also very small and barely big enough to accomadate more then four people I guess it is too match the size of their basic rooms! Haha. I Would not recommend this hotel for the overall operation and comfort of the room but I would recommend it for the value and location.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 7, 2010

This hotel is a Club Quarters hotel, which means that it is geared towards business travelers. Our room was small, but perfectly adequate since we weren't in Chicago to spend time in our hotel room. The hotel reminded me of a European hotel, especially since it's in an old building. The location is perfect; right across the street from the River, near Michigan Ave. between the Magnificent Mile and the Loop. The hotel restaurant is surprisingly good, and makes the famous Chicago deep dish pizza. The couple at the table next to us were staying at the Fairmont and their concierge recommended it.

miamisburg
Reviewed September 6, 2010

When we booked we asked for 2 rooms with 2 adults each room. The rooms were so small, there wasnt any drawers to put clothes in except for desk drawers, there were enough towels/washcloths for 1 person which leads me to believe that the rooms were meant for 1 person and because they were booked online and the hotel overbooked we were stuck with single rooms. The beds were not big enough for 2 people. For the price we paid I would never recommend this hotel. Our vehicle was broken into, the window broke out and not one employee, except for one, would help us. She was nice because she printed out directions on how to get back to Ohio since our gps was stolen. The last time we were in Chicago we stayed at Red Roof Inn for half the price and the staff was more than friendly.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank disappointed12_10
NC
Reviewed August 21, 2010

We enjoyed our stay at The River Hotel. It is a great location easily accessible to public transit. Our room was small, but it had a European type of feel, and it seemed many guests were European. We had both a small fridge and a microwave which was helpful. The free wireless is a nice feature with ability to print downstairs. I did not use the fitness center since we do so much walking, but would have had they had a pool. My bad for not checking that. The water bottle filling stations on each floor is also another great feature. We did not eat at the restaurant, but there are many nearby, including Dunkin' Donuts and Starbucks for coffee and breakfast. Filming of Transformers 3 was taking place during our visit which made it very interesting.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, Michigan
Reviewed August 19, 2010

Room was on small side. Had a great view of the river. Very clean. Bathroom was clean. Hotel was a fantastic deal due to price we got on Hotwire. Staff was very polite and friendly. Did not eat at hotel restaurant which had a italian menu. At least 18 restaurants in 5 block radius. Walking was preferred mode of transportation. Would stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family