“Overall great value and location”
Review of River Hotel

River Hotel
Ranked #74 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed August 31, 2006

I took my 6 year old daughter to Chicago for an end of summer vacation. This hotel was perfect for us! We got a room with 2 twin beds for $139 (plus tax, which for Chicago is really high). The location was a block away from the free trolley stop (which takes you to the museums, Marshall Fields, Navy Pier, etc.) , and right across the river from several boat tour options. There is also a Corner Bakery right next door which was great for breakfast and lunch. There's so much to do within just a few blocks. We were on the 21st floor and had an outstanding view of the river. I feel like we just could not have done better than this hotel. Yes, the room is small, but it had everything we needed.

Stayed: August 2006
4  Thank GeezerMom

Reviewed August 28, 2006

We've been to Chicago several times and I think this hotel stay was my favorite. Other travelers complain about the small rooms, but I would gladly give up space for the beautiful river view we had. We enjoyed having a microwave and refrigerator in our room and the free wireless internet was a great plus. True- the elevators were a bit slow in the morning because of the cleaning staff using the same 2 elevators as the guests, but I planned for it and was never late for anything. My spouse, 2 friends and myself spent a week there in July would all highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with friends
1  Thank bnahigh
Reviewed August 14, 2006

OK, first things first, the rooms are small. Mine had a king size bed, with little room either side with a space at the bottom, then a desk. The bathroom is fine, but no bath.

If the size of the room is an issue, then don't stay here. I have to say it really didn't bother me over the course of my two night stay.

The staff were courteous, happy to answer questions, but were a little cold and unwelcoming.

The room was clean, and the bed comfy and the views were pretty good.

The building itself is beautiful, particularly as it towers towards its peak. My colleague was staying high up and there were only two rooms on that floor. Due to the shape of the building the room was an odd shape.

The hotel is centrally located and great for sightseeing. At night it can feel a bit cold since really its a business district.

If you want some nightlife I can recommend Hubbard Street a few blocks north where there are quite a few bars.

For the price and location this was a pretty good deal.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank shrewseddy
Reviewed August 8, 2006

The first thing you have to understand about Club Quarters hotels is that the size of the room is part of the experience. How else would a nice looking hotel in prime location offer such inexpensive prices? $130 for me on a Monday night...other hotels (including Hotel 71 next-door) were $299 and above.

The hotel facade faces the river (I had a river-facing view, thanks to the great staff, and it was beautiful) and there are plenty of restaurants (the corner bakery cafe next door is fabulous...walked 1 block to the Hard Rock hotel and ate at China Grill).

Bed wasn't too comfortable -- it was two twins put together with a foam connector to make a King... -- but I've stayed in my worse. Bathroom doesn't have a ton of counter space, but it was very clean.

Wi-fi was free (I was at the tail end of the signal so my speed was very slow).

I would stay here again if other, nicer hotels have cheaper rates...but for $130 it well exceeded by expectations.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank cyenti
Reviewed July 30, 2006

Don't understand all the complaining about how small the rooms are. Rooms are more than adequate for the price in this high priced area of Chicago. Rooms within a half block ate all in the $300+ range. Facility is clean, furniture new and comfortable. Excellent wireless internet service. If you want something bigger and fancier then go pay for it. Rooms may be smaller in the "tower" above the 20th floor.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2006

The hotels locaton is wonderful, but the rooms are tiny. I have never seen hotel rooms this small in the United States. The hotel is in a beautiful historic beaux arts office building, but the room have the charm of a dorm. The bathroom only had a shower and the closet was the size of a phone booth. The television is too small to see from the bed. The bedding was cheap. Room was very clean and in excellent condition. Elevators were very slow and required room card to operate. The sheer size of the room made it difficult for two people to share. Staff was very accommodating.

• Stayed: July 2006
3  Thank jjcarte
Reviewed July 8, 2006

We stayed here for 4 nights at the end of June and beginning of July. When we arrived at the hotel we just could not believe what a fantastic location we had got for the price we paid - so close to where Michigan Avenue crosses the river. Hotel is just on the edge of the Loop and only a few minutes walk from all the big stores on Michigan Ave.
Our room was great! Spacious, huge bed that was very comfortable, fridge, big shower and above all the great view that took in the Wrigley and Tribune buildings just across the street.
It is worth knowing that this hotel seems to be in 2 halves - the upper and the lower! Our room was on floor T30 - and I assume that T stands for Tower. The building is like a normal big square tower block for the first 25 or so floors, and then changes into a tall thin tower with just 3 rooms on each floor. We were on the 30th floor in the tower, and therefore had a large room with huge windows and great views - so I guess that other reviewers who commented on the small windows might have been on lower floors. Think we were just lucky with our room, but it might be worth asking the reception to place you in a tower room with a river view as we were thrilled with our room.
Others have commented on the construction noise - and it is true that Donald Trump's latest building (which will be one of the tallest in Chicago) is being built directly opposite this hotel. However, the noise from the construction site was not enough to wake us up or disturb us at all.
The lounge in the hotel was nice and never busy, with 3 PC's with free internet access, some comfortable sofas and a big TV.
One drawback is the lift/elevator. There are only 2, and the building is very tall - so you can spend several minutes waiting in the lobby for the lift, and they can be quite crowded.
Overall, highly recommended - especially for the location. We will stay here next time we visit Chicago!

• Stayed: July 2006