“the dirtiest place ever”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of River Hotel

River Hotel
Ranked #63 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Basel, Switzerland
“the dirtiest place ever”
Reviewed April 12, 2009

The floors have not seen a vacuum cleaner for years, the garbage bin is overfull and the coffee machine still had the filter of the previous guest in.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed April 10, 2009

I travel for work so my expectations of a hotel are pretty minimal- clean, moderately friendly, good local. This hotel was in a decent location, but a little further from the convention center than I would have liked, however that is not their issue.
The building itself was a beautiful, old hotel that has been supposedly renovated, however I think that might have been in the 70s. In general everything, especially the furniture, is beat up.
I was prepared for small rooms, and that was not so bad. The good news is that the view from the 35th floor was gorgeous. Unfortunately that is the only nice thing about the room. The bedding and furniture were terribly beat up. I really question how sanitary their bedding was. The HVAC in my room was so bad that I had to open all 4 windows, even in the snow storm, and I'm from the south. The halls and room had a musty odor. The carpet was stained and burned, as was the curtains.
The television worked intermittently for half the channels. It had not been dusted since possibly when it was purchased sometime in the 80's (small old tv). The walls could have used a coat of paint (room and hall).
The fitness center was almost nonexistent and 1 of the 2 treadmills was broken.
The wireless internet had an inconsistent signal.
The staff service was average, except in the restaurant. I was pretty excited about the restaurant based on a review I read, however I did not have consistent experiences. I ate there for breakfast one morning, and the service was absolutely atrocious. I had to BEG for seconds and thirds on coffee, and the frustrating thing was that I was sitting in the path of traffic back & forth to the kitchen so you think someone would have noticed. I sat in the same spot for dinner and it might as well been a different restaurant because the food was pretty good, and the service was AMAZING.
So all in all, it wasn't the worst trip, but I would definitely pay slightly more to stay at a better hotel, and will never try this brand again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed April 8, 2009

We stayed at the Club Quarters on Wacker the first weekend in April. We were in tower room 3302. Wasn't sure what to expect, but the service was great from the start. The front desk offered to make any dinner reservations we needed. We took them up on it later in our stay with no problems. We also requested extra pillows and extra towels (on two different days) and they were both quickly delivered to us. The room was a bit small, but more than adequate. The tower only has 3 rooms per floor. It is a true tower, look at the top of the building when you go outside and you'll see what I mean. I didn't hear any other guests and liked the feeling of a bit more privacy, since there were only 3 rooms. We had a riverview and could also see the Field Museum and Soldier Field from one of our windows, which was pretty neat. The beds were very comfortable. The hotel is still renovating some of it's lower floors, but didn't hear any noise. The only bummer is that the club room wasn't finished yet. It will have coffee and tea available all of the time, plus computers that guests can use. They currently have 2 computers available in the lobby, and I had no problem printing out our boarding passes. The Corner Bakery is just 2 businesses over, great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. And McCormick and Schmicks is just a block away and they have great happy hour specials M-F, $1.95-$4.95 appetizers.
We were very close to the trains (2 blocks) and to Michigan Avenue (1 block). Location was right in the heart of everything.
We would definitely stay at Club Quarters again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Washington DC
Reviewed March 26, 2009

This was my first stay at a Club Quarters and it was great. As with any hotel, know what YOU need to be happy. For me, this was the perfect hotel for a solo trip. I was attending a conference held at another hotel nearby that actually wanted more than twice the price for a room. The building was built in the 1920s and little touches still show that - marble in unexpected places, small elevators. My room was small, yes, but everything was clean and in good condition - nice bed linens, nice carpet and wall covering, attractive furniture. I had a bed, two night tables, an armchair, and a wall-mounted TV. And a superb little desk with an ergonomic chair. That's what made me happiest - a work space where I could actually work! Lots of natural light, good bright desk lamp, plenty of outlets, a dictionary and thesaurus, and free wireless internet!! (This is not a standard feature at many other hotels in the area.) Also, the lobby has two computers, a printer, and fax, and even though they're not the newest, fastest models, just having that free access is another big bonus. The room was on the front of the building and had a nice view of the canal. The bathroom had a large walk-in shower with a shower head that adjusts every way imaginable. (If you require a tub, you might be disappointed, but I was fine.) The bathroom also had an easy-to-figure-out heater that made it nice and toasty. There was only one problem the first morning, a hairline crack in the shower head that allowed water to drip out. I let the front desk know. Not only did they offer to move me to another room if I wanted (which I didn't, the room was fine otherwise!) but I gave them my schedule and they had the maintenance guys in to fix it while I was gone from the room so there was no inconvenience. As so many other reviews mention, there is a fill-your-own-bottle water station by the elevator (they provide bottles). There is also a courtesy closet if you just want to grab an extra towel or pillow. If you're used to being waited on hand and foot, this might be off-putting, but I love the freedom of just walking down the hall and getting whatever I need whenever I need it. In the room, there was also a little fridge and microwave, though I think that varies room to room. If you want a taxi or help with your bags, they can take care of that. I prefer to walk, and there are several good places to eat within a one-block radius, including an Italian-style restaurant essentially attached to the hotel. Other quick notes: construction crews are doing some work on the lower floors, which I didn't even notice until I took the stairs and smelled the paint. There are only 2 elevators - so don't be in a hurry. I didn't use the fitness equipment, which I think is in the basement.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
chicago
Reviewed March 13, 2009

This is located by wacker and michigan its a very good location, theres restaurants within close walking distance.

Walls are too thin between rooms, I can actually hear the guy next door snore.

Room fixtures are basic. Small rooms but adequate.

Free bottled water unlimited - great! They should have these plastic bottles recycled though.

Free wireless connection

Booked through booking.com and paid 95 dollars total for a night. if there are other hotels in the area with lower or comparable price, I might choose the other. If not then I can live with this hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Tvmasseuse
Appleton, WI
Reviewed March 3, 2009

This hotel is in a great location-right near Michigan Avenue and all that offers. I stayed in a club size room on a recent business trip and it was perfect for what I needed. The room was on the smaller side, but I didn't need a lot of space. The small window offered a great view of the Chicago River. The internet worked well enough-my only complaint was that the TV couldn't swivel to face the bed (though I don't think that's a problem with all room setups.) The staff was very friendly and helpful in answering my questions, and the parking was close enough. All in all, a great room if you don't need a ton of luxury or space.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank RedHead0186
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed January 28, 2009

I feel that this wasn't really a hotel and I would have left if I could have. The staff was pleasant and very helpful but couldn't overcome the basic design flaws and upkeep.

No way this place deserves 3.5 stars on Hotwire's rating system. The price of $75 was a rip-off.

We were in room 3303, a corner riverview with a king. Several people at differrent times said this was one of the really good rooms.

-Shear curtains were shredded, heavy curtains had smoke and burn marks. This was a non-smoking room

-The king bed had a flat queen bottom sheet that you couldn't tuck in, it barely covered the mattress. That was the largest sheet they had.

-No regular coffee, just decaf. I asked for regular and they brought it but took the decaf with them.

-No luggage stand, they said the room was too small for one. They brought it up and they were almost right. Smallest room I've ever seen other than a Microtel. Just barely larger.

The TV was tiny and in the farthest possible spot, no ,way to view from bed. I've seem better tv's at Red Roof.

I coild go on but suffice it to say---NO. If this place was that cheap on Hotwire, I should have gone for the 4-Star for $5 a night more. I've rented 3.5-Star rooms before and got the Hyatt. I'll never do a 3.5-Star room again, afraid I'll get stuck here.

• Disliked — Size and quality of rooms, no lobby.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family